[net.politics] Yea for the BOMB!!!

arndt@lymph.DEC (07/17/85)

*************  HAPPY FORTY BIRTHDAY - BOMB !!  MANY MORE!  ***************

You've kept us safe from world war for lo these forty years.  (could you have
done that if only 'they' had you?)  Think of the millions who did not die or
have to live in chains because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.

And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!

Regards,

Ken Arndt

smithson@calma.uucp (Brian Smithson) (07/18/85)

> You've kept us safe from world war for lo these forty years.  (could you have
> done that if only 'they' had you?)  Think of the millions who did not die or
> have to live in chains because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.
>
> And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Arndt

Boy, are you (and the rest of us) in for a big suprise...
--

		-Brian Smithson
		 Calma Company

"Calma is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Electric"
"UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories"
"Your's is my heart alone"
"Coke, nonetheless, isn't it"

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (07/18/85)

--
> ********  HAPPY FORTY BIRTHDAY - BOMB !!  MANY MORE!  **********
>
> You've kept us safe from world war for lo these forty years.
> (could you have done that if only 'they' had you?)

Well, now somebody's got to post the lyrics to Tom Lehrer's great
song about the Multi-Lateral Nuclear Force.  Here's the only one
I remember:

    Who cares that the Germans have nuclear warheads?
    England says no, but they all are soreheads.
    I say a bygone should be a bygone--
    Let's make peace the way we did in Stanleyville and Saigon.

> Think of the millions who did not die or have to live in chains
> because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.

This lends a whole new meaning to the song "Praise the Lord and
Pass the Ammunition."  The Lord *IS* the ammunition (in nomine
Patris et Filis et Spiritu Rambo...)  Yes--I *see the light*  Ooops,
it was just the tracer rounds.

> And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!

Gee, that's just what the French thought about the Maginot Line.
Although, come to think of it, a very good WW II analogy would be the
English radar network.  This was a giant technological advance,
a substantial factor in the outcome of the Battle of Britain, and
by all accounts an enormously successful defense system.  Sure, a
few German bombers got through, but it's been estimated that radar's
early warnings reduced the load that fell on England by as much as 20%.
Unlike Star Wars, though, the overwhelming scientific opinion about
that radar defense was that it (a) had a realistic objective, (b) could
be built, and (c) would work.

> Regards,
> Ken Arndt

Sweet dreams, Ken, you wonderful guy.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

>have to live in chains because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Er, shouldn't that be
BOOM to all mankind ...?

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (07/18/85)

[Ken Arndt's birthday message for atomic bombs makes me think of this
message, found on a hypothetical net in 1912... MRH]

***********  HAPPY NTH BIRTHDAY - BRITISH NAVY!  MANY MORE!  *************

You've kept us safe from European war for lo these forty years.  (could you have
done that if only 'they' had you?)  Think of the millions who did not die or
have to live in chains because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.

And now we have the King's chemical weapons!!  PAX BRITANNICA!!!

Regards,

John (Jingo) Bull [Ancestor of our own Ken Arndt.]
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/18/85)

> You've kept us safe from world war for lo these forty years.  (could you have
> done that if only 'they' had you?)  Think of the millions who did not die or
> have to live in chains because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.
>
> And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!
> Ken Arndt

I always imagined Ken to look like one the subterranean ghoulesque types in
"Beneath the Planet of the Apes" whose prayers to the "super-H-bomb" sounded
like:

"And I reveal my innermost self unto my God..."

Were you the role model for that story, Ken?

(Nobody seems to remember how the whole Planet of the Apes series was one of
the neatest parodies of religion in entertainment history.  "No, it is against
the wishes of the lawgivers, we must not go out into the Forbidden Zone, we
might learn something...")
--
"iY AHORA, INFORMACION INTERESANTE ACERCA DE... LA LLAMA!"
	Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

stryker@dicomed.UUCP (d. j. stryker) (07/18/85)

arndt@lymph.DEC writes:
>*************  HAPPY FORTY BIRTHDAY - BOMB !!  MANY MORE!  ***************
>
>You've kept us safe from world war for lo these forty years.  (could you have
>done that if only 'they' had you?)

To a large part of the world, WE are THEY

>Think of the millions who did not die or
>have to live in chains because of you.  Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.
>
>And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!

This is clearly the veiwpoint of a person with a deep understanding of
history and humanity.

I am particularly impressed with the pharse PAX AMERICANA.  Its source is
of course 'Pax Romana' meaning literally 'The Peace of Rome'.  Pax Romana
described 'the peace which will never end' brought about by the power and
sanity of the ancient Roman Empire.

Hmmm....whatever happened to the Roman Empire anyway?  I haven't heard much
about it recently.
				Don

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/18/85)

In article <519@ihu1m.UUCP> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:

>Well, now somebody's got to post the lyrics to Tom Lehrer's great
>song about the Multi-Lateral Nuclear Force.  Here's the only one
>I remember:
>
>    Who cares that the Germans have nuclear warheads?
>    England says no, but they all are soreheads.
>    I say a bygone should be a bygone--
>    Let's make peace the way we did in Stanleyville and Saigon.

	Egypt's gonna get one too
	Just to use on you-know-who.
	So Israel's getting tense
	wants one for self-defense

	The Lord is our Shepard, so have no qualms
	but just in case: we're gonna get a Bomb

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{vax135 | ihnp4}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc.  would make me their spokesperson.
----
"I was riding a wombat this morning, 'till it broke its leg. I had to
 shoot it"  -- Ranger on Camel

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (07/18/85)

On this issue, I totally agree with you Ken.

The best unicorn is a dead and mutilated unicorn.
(UUCP: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!beslove)
(CSNet: beslove@ohio-state)		        The world is my sandbox,
(ARPA: beslove%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)    humanity my playmates.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/19/85)

In article <3156@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:
>You've kept us safe from world war for lo these forty years.

Bullshit. It's put us on the brink of mass death that the world has
never seen before.

>Think of the millions who did not die or
>have to live in chains because of you.

Think of the millions of innocent children that have lived with the
terror of nuclear destruction. A recent survey of US schoolchildren
reported that 75% of them believe they will die in a nuclear blast.

Millions saved? Oh yeah, I forgot that the number of Japanese who were
killed or crippled or mutated when we dropped the bomb on them (twice)
was only in the hundreds of thousands. It's a good thing they were only
Japanese people and not IMPORTANT AMERICANS!

>Boon to all mankind!  Gift of God.

Not my God. I hope my God has better things to do with his time. I think
you must have been a gift from the same God that gave us the bomb.

>And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!

No we don't an we never will you spawn of a sewer ditch.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

jlowry@bbnccv.UUCP (John Lowry) (07/22/85)

In article <327@timeinc.UUCP> greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>In article <519@ihu1m.UUCP> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>>
>>Well, now somebody's got to post the lyrics to Tom Lehrer's great
>>song about the Multi-Lateral Nuclear Force.  Here's the only one
>>I remember:
>>
>>    Who cares that the Germans have nuclear warheads?
>>    England says no, but they all are soreheads.
>>    I say a bygone should be a bygone--
>>    Let's make peace the way we did in Stanleyville and Saigon.
>>

>	Egypt's gonna get one too
>	Just to use on you-know-who.
>	So Israel's getting tense
>	wants one for self-defense
>
>	The Lord is our Shepard, so have no qualms
>	but just in case: we're gonna get a Bomb

With apologies to Randy Newman ...

	No one likes us,
	I don't know why ...
	We may not be perfect,
	But heaven knows we try ...

	And all around, even our old friends put us down,
	Let's drop the big one, and see what happens ...

	Well Asia's crowded, and Europe's too old,
	Africa is far too hot, and Canada's too cold,
	Let's drop the big one, and see what happens ...

	We'll save Australia,
	Don't want to hurt no kangararoo ...
	We'll build an All-American amusement park there,
	They've got surfin' too !

	Boom goes London, and boom Paree,
	More room for you and more room for me,
	And every city, the whole world round,
	Will just be another American town ...

	Oh, how peaceful it'll be,
	We'll set everybody free,
	There'll be Japanese kimono's baby,
	And Italian shoes for me.

	They all hate us anyhow,
	So let's drop the big one now ...
	Lets drop the big one now ...

				Randy Newman

						John Lowry
						jlowry@bbnz.arpa
						jlowry@bbnccv.arpa

"Great Maestros, like great capitalists, have a keen sense of humor."
		- Berke Breathed

jj@alice.UUCP (07/22/85)

Hate to quibble, but greenber's comments on "MLF Lullaby" are
NOT more of the lyrics, they're part of the lyrics to
"Who's next" some of the first verses are

"First we got the bomb andthat was good, cause we loved peace
and brotherhood,
Then Russia got the bomb, but that's ok, the balance of power's
preserved that way,
Who's next?
Then France got the bomb, but don'tyou greive, cause they're on our
side, we believe,
The China got the bomb, but don't you fear, they can't wipe us
out for at least 5 years,
Who's next? ///"
--
TEDDY BEARS MAY BECOME EXTINCT! HELP AN ENDANGERED SPECIES!
"It was great when it all began, ..."

(ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL) (07/23/85)

---------------------------------------

> Saigon? SAIGON?? *SAIGON*???!
>
> There ain't no such place nohow!
---------------------------------------
There ain't no Stanleyville neither, nohow.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (07/23/85)

> With apologies to Randy Newman ...
>
> 	No one likes us,
> 	I don't know why ...
> 	We may not be perfect,
> 	But heaven knows we try ...
>
> 	And all around, even our old friends put us down,
> 	Let's drop the big one, and see what happens ...
>
> 	Well Asia's crowded, and Europe's too old,
> 	Africa is far too hot, and Canada's too cold,
> 	Let's drop the big one, and see what happens ...
>
> 	We'll save Australia,
> 	Don't want to hurt no kangararoo ...
> 	We'll build an All-American amusement park there,
> 	They've got surfin' too !
>
> 	Boom goes London, and boom Paree,
> 	More room for you and more room for me,
> 	And every city, the whole world round,
> 	Will just be another American town ...
>
> 	Oh, how peaceful it'll be,
> 	We'll set everybody free,
> 	There'll be Japanese kimono's baby,
> 	And Italian shoes for me.
>
> 	They all hate us anyhow,
> 	So let's drop the big one now ...
> 	Lets drop the big one now ...
>
> 				Randy Newman

I knew ole Randy baby couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but I had no idea he
was equally untalented as a song writer.  The entertaining dregs of rock n' rollare alive and well.

 With no apoligies to Randy Newman.

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (07/23/85)

In article <551@dicomed.UUCP> stryker@dicomed.UUCP (d. j. stryker) writes:

> I am particularly impressed with the pharse PAX AMERICANA.  Its source is
> of course 'Pax Romana' meaning literally 'The Peace of Rome'.  Pax Romana
> described 'the peace which will never end' brought about by the power and
> sanity of the ancient Roman Empire.
>
> Hmmm....whatever happened to the Roman Empire anyway?  I haven't heard much
> about it recently.
> 				Don

Resting comfortably in a sane peace.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"Ahhhhhh... the smell of cuprinol and mahogany.  It excites me to...
acts of passion... acts of... ineptitude."

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (07/24/85)

*

> Quotes from Tom Leher and Randy Newman about the  joys of the bomb . .

	. . remind me of a song the Kingston Trio have done for nearly
30 years without it loosing relevance:

		Merry Minuet

	They're rioting in Africa,
	    they're starving in Spain.
	There's hurricanes in Florida,
	    and Texas needs rain.

	The whole world is festering with unhappy souls,
	    the French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles.
	Italians hate the Yugoslaves, South Africans hate the Dutch,
	    and I don't like anybody very much.

	But we must  be tranquil and thankful and proud,
	    for man's been endowed with the mushroom shaped cloud.
	And we know for certain that some lovely day,
	    someone will set the spark off, and we will all be blown away.

	They're rioting in Africa,
	    there's  strife in Iran.
	What nature  doesn't do to us
	     will be done by our fellow man.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (07/24/85)

                          \
                         *-XXX
                          /   XX
                               IIIIIIIII
                               IIIIIIIII
                               IIIIIIIII
                               IIIIIIIII
                               XXXXXXXXX
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ix654@sdcc6.UUCP (ix654) (07/26/85)

>From: csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe)
>In article <3156@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:
 ( .... )
>>And now we have the President's space defense!!  PAX AMERICANA!!!
>
>No we don't an we never will you spawn of a sewer ditch.
>
>>Ken "rick with a silent 'P'" Arndt
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^       (I understand that the signature
                                      was edited by Mr. Forsythe)
>Charles Forsythe
>CSDF@MIT-VAX

       I'm not easily offended, but this is only one sample of Mr.
Forsythe's tact and manners. If his arguments of this sort will not
be moved to net.flame, I, for one, intend to boycott all of his
postings.
       As for the original topic, I recommend the July 29 issue of
Time Magazine which presents several viewpoints on the bomb, its use
and threat thereof.
                                     E.J. Behr, UCSD Math
                                        (sdcc6!ix654)