[net.politics] Win one, lose one.

black@pundit.DEC (DON BLACK DTN 261-2739 MS: NIO/N13 LOC: POLE C6) (07/30/85)

Rich Rosen proclaims:

>Subject: Liberty Lobby Lawsuit
>
>I just heard last night that the Liberty Lobby, a neo-fascist organization
>that purportedly put up a large sum of money to anyone who could prove
>the existence of the Holocaust (hoping that no one would come forward to
>stand up to such a boorish claim, thus "proving" their point that it never
>happened), got its just desserts.
>[SHORTENED TO SPARE THE NET.  --DB]

     (A version of this posting and my repy is in net.religion and
net.religion.christian.)

     I don't have all the details either.  I do know that the suit was
brought against the Institute for Historical Review in Torrence,
California.  Liberty Lobby, a pro-American, pro-freedom, pro-civil
rights group in Washington, DC, was not a party to the suit.

     This lawsuit was just one more act of terrorism perpetrated by the
illegal Jewish Defense League and its minions.  They couldn't BOMB the
I.H.R. out of existance, so now it's lawsuit time.

     (On July 4, 1984, the library of the I.H.R. was forcibly entered
and firebombed by a professional arsonist.  The Jewish Defense League
provided the police with the name of the arsonist.  J.D.L. members were
photographed dancing in the ashes.  Prior to the fire, the library had
been the target of vandalism and picketing by the J.D.L.  Recently,
the J.D.L. has taken credit for harassing workers and officials of the
I.H.R.  And this is America????)

     The fellow who "won" the suit was awarded the sum of $50,000 for the
reward money, and a penalty of $40,000 to $100,000 for "proving" that the
Holocaust actually took place.

>They hoped that we would all find the claim so disgusting that we would
>all ignore it.  Personally I'm glad someone chose not to.

     Nope.  Suits like this can't be ignored.  It brings the subject out
into the open, into the court of Public Opinion.  The trial transcripts are
public record.  It won't take long before the truth---one way or the other---
comes out.

>No, it probably won't shut them up.  (Comments, Mr. Black?   Mr. Frith?)

     It sure won't.  In fact, it gives us more ammunition.

     Freedom of speech and expression is something that we usually take for
granted in the US.  We as Americans have to accept these concepts as
Universal and Irrevocable.  If we cannot do so, if we would repress free
speech and expression, then perhaps we cannot call ourselves true Americans.

     Any person who would firebomb a library, assault its officials and bomb
their houses, just because they don't happen to agree with what the group
says, has no claim to being a true American.

     During the 1960's and 70's, American men shed their blood in a place
called Viet Nam.  At the same time, the Communists Angela Davis, Jerry
Rubin, and Abbey Hoffman ranted daily about freedom of speech.  What's
sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, too.

     Let me leave with an anecdote that I heard about "getting even:"

     There once was a coyote who liked to ravage the sheep of this one
Old Farmer named Clem.  So Clem put out a trap, and sure enough, the
coyote got hisself caught.

     Clem had bought a brand new pick-um-up truck, as Old Farmers are
inclined to do.  He and his friend, Si, were out drivin' around the
countryside in the new truck, when they came across the coyote in the
trap.

     Si grabbed his 30-Aught-6, chambered a round, and said, "Clem,
now's our chance.  I'm gonna finish off that coyote once and for all."

     Clem thought for a minute.  "Now you hold on just a durned
minute, Si!  Shootin's too good for that ol' coyote.  I lost two hundred
sheep to him.  I want to make him sufffer a little before he dies."

     So Clem blindfolded that old critter, tied a stick of dynamite to
his tail, lit the fuse, and opened the trap.

     Now this coyote's momma didn't raise any fools.  He ran and hid
right underneath that brand new pick-up truck.

     ('Nuff said, Rich?  Point taken?)

dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (07/31/85)

[]
>> I just heard last night that the Liberty Lobby, a neo-fascist organization
>> that purportedly put up a large sum of money to anyone who could prove
>> the existence of the Holocaust (hoping that no one would come forward to
>> stand up to such a boorish claim, thus "proving" their point that it never
>> happened), got its just desserts.
>      I don't have all the details either.  I do know that the suit was
> brought against the Institute for Historical Review in Torrence,
> California.  Liberty Lobby, a pro-American, pro-freedom, pro-civil
> rights group in Washington, DC, was not a party to the suit.

True. As I wrote in an earlier note, the suit was brought against
the Institute for Historical Review, not the Liberty Lobby. The
result of the case was that the Institute agreed to pay the Auschwitz
survivor who sued them. They still, however, don't acknowledge that
the Holocaust took place.

>      This lawsuit was just one more act of terrorism perpetrated by the
> illegal Jewish Defense League and its minions.  They couldn't BOMB the
> I.H.R. out of existance, so now it's lawsuit time.

This reminds me of an interview I saw once with Muammar Qaddafi. He was
asked about accusations that he supports terrorism, and replied that
these accusations themselves were an act of terrorism against him.
Not to compare you to Qaddafi, of course, Don.

>      (On July 4, 1984, the library of the I.H.R. was forcibly entered
> and firebombed by a professional arsonist.  The Jewish Defense League
> provided the police with the name of the arsonist.  J.D.L. members were
> photographed dancing in the ashes.  Prior to the fire, the library had
> been the target of vandalism and picketing by the J.D.L.  Recently,
> the J.D.L. has taken credit for harassing workers and officials of the
> I.H.R.  And this is America????)

I think the JDL are a bunch of petty criminal assholes. Which doesn't
change my opinion of you or the Institute at all.

>      Let me leave with an anecdote that I heard about "getting even:"
> [story about coyote and farmer]

Good story, Don. Just remember, it cuts both ways. I mean, as you
noticed yourself, them little Jewboys down to Israel have had the
godawful nerve to get themselves some nukes! And after we've
protected them all this time too! Probably want to use them to
bully their Ayrab neighbors some more. Whah, just look at the
map, boy! They've got them Ayrab suckers surrounded - from the
insahd!!

Isaac Dimitrovsky
allegra!cmcl2!csd2!dimitrov   (l in cmcl2 is letter l not number 1)
251 Mercer Street, New York NY 10012

... Hernandez steps in to face ... Orl ... HERchiiiser ... and it's a liiine
driive, deeeeep to the gap in left center ...	- Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets