[net.politics] Greenpeace

dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) (07/12/85)

<...>
Some time ago someone from Sweden started a discussion by asking "What is Greenpeace and what does it do?".   Well after this week's events I don't think many
people will need to ask.  Those B****s who planted the bomb (two landmines
according to current reports) on the Greenpeace ship have put Greenpeace on the
front page of the World's press in a way no amount of Greenpeace's own direct
but non-violent protests have done - but they also killed a member of a group
dedicated to non-violence, and sunk the ship that has been doing so much to
bring attention to major world environment issues such as extermination of
whales by over-hunting, killing of young seals, damage to the seas and coasts
by dumping of nuclear and other waste, the fate of people still affected by
the USA H-bomb tests of 20-30 years ago (in particular carrying an island-full
of people to a new, non-radioactive island, an action that the offical
governments of the world have been unable to carry out for 20 years),
the aftermath of the British A-bomb tests in Australia, and now (again)
protesting against continuing French nuclear bomb tests in the Pacific.

According to the press Greenpeace were not able to have full insurance on their
ship - so how about the Net doing something to help raise the money for repairs/
replacement?   Would someone who is or knows a member of Greenpeace  find out
more about their plans, put a better-informed item than this on the net, and
tell us a secure way to make donations to the repairs.  By 'secure' I mean
something like a well-known bank that would accept such donations and ensure
that they get to Greenpeace, not just "Post to Fred".

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (07/14/85)

In article <196@stl.UUCP> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>          ...  Would someone who is or knows a member of Greenpeace  find out
>more about their plans, put a better-informed item than this on the net, and
>tell us a secure way to make donations to the repairs.  By 'secure' I mean
>something like a well-known bank that would accept such donations and ensure
>that they get to Greenpeace, not just "Post to Fred".

Well, it seems like ordinary people are beginning to realize that
something has to be done against the unfairness of the world. Band Aid
"World GREATEST rockconcert" against starvation in africa and now USENET
against environmental destruction of the world. FINE!!!

Personally I feel that WE all have to CRY out LOUD whenever something
obviously wrong is going on and I therefore wellcome this chance to
show that the net isn't just a club of passive members doing nothing
but working out whether it should be "stuff++" or "stuff := stuff + 1".

I don't know the right procedure but it could be starting a fund for
rebuilding Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior -- Or together make a public
statement and donate the money to the local Greenpeace office, I believe
there is one in almost every capital in Europe.

Don't just let this subject drown in discussion and debate let's do something!

--Kim Chr. Madsen  kimcm@diku.uucp

sylvain@lvbull.UUCP (Sylvain Langlois RCG-ARS) (07/16/85)

Right, it seems like we need to coordinate a bit all over Europe. What I
propose is the following:
1) Somebody in each european country is taking the responsability of
broadcasting the info on his own national network. That means also
a big use of mail (I guess situation out of France is the same as here: more
sites exchanging mail than news).
Make a mailing list (or news list!) out of these people to get contact
with each other.
2) Try to get some substantial help in each country,
3) Get the whole lot together and send it to Greenpeace Foundation Headquaters.

I can easily contact french extension of Greenpeace to get some information
about how to do it. But I think this aid has to go directly to Greenpeace HQ
which I guess are in England. Any precisions about this would be welcome.
Then, how are we going to process? Does anybody agrees with this or have
more ideas?

--
Sylvain "Panic Trap" Langlois
UUCP Address:	(...!mcvax!vmucnam!lvbull!sylvain)

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (07/17/85)

In article <1050@diku.UUCP> kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>In article <196@stl.UUCP> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>>          ...  Would someone who is or knows a member of Greenpeace  find out
>>more about their plans, put a better-informed item than this on the net, and
>>tell us a secure way to make donations to the repairs.  By 'secure' I mean
>>something like a well-known bank that would accept such donations and ensure
>>that they get to Greenpeace, not just "Post to Fred".
>

>Personally I feel that WE all have to CRY out LOUD whenever something
>obviously wrong is going on and I therefore wellcome this chance to
>show that the net isn't just a club of passive members doing nothing
>but working out whether it should be "stuff++" or "stuff := stuff + 1".
>
>I don't know the right procedure but it could be starting a fund for
>rebuilding Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior -- Or together make a public
>statement and donate the money to the local Greenpeace office, I believe
>there is one in almost every capital in Europe.

I second this: anybody else got any ideas?  Kim, are you prepared to
co-ordinate this (whatever it turns out to be)?  Whatever it is, you've
got my vote and #5 (UK) or so.

						Kay.

--
"In a world without rational structure, even the most bizarre events must
eventually take place."   -- Philip Avalon, "On the Resurrection of Reagan"

			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!flame!kay

teb@zti1.UUCP (Eric Brunner) (07/19/85)

<>
sylvian and kim have brought up a reasonable proposal, but i'd like to
suggest that the coppenhagen netters find out the bank-of-convience there

don't wait on this if you don't need to, we've already sent a contribution
via the nuclear free pacific folks i used to do diablo canyon blocakdes
with, anyone wanting their address can mail me

belgians might try cnapd/vaka if i remember the initials correctly,
europeans might try wise, the world (nukes, pollution, etc.,) information
service, you know, the folks who invented the smilly sun "nukes? no thanks!"
symbols in all known languages
then there is cnd in the uk
i've no suggestions for the fdr or france, or elsewhere

does greenpeace need a computer? i can't give them one, but they might
like somebody's hand-me-downs...if so this is right up our alley.
--
Eric Brunner @ zti1 (thats zombie-tty-init-proc1) till 1 July.
note the new, completely reduced instruction set address

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (07/21/85)

In article <2291@flame.warwick.UUCP> kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) writes:
>I second this: anybody else got any ideas?  Kim, are you prepared to
>co-ordinate this (whatever it turns out to be)?  Whatever it is, you've
>got my vote and #5 (UK) or so.

Unfortunately not! I haven't got time [mostly embarrassing!] -- But I will
wholeheartedly support any {euro,world}-netter who would accept the burden

		===> IS THERE A VOLUNTEER OUT THERE ??? <===

If you are prepared to take the responsibility then please send your name
and address to EUNET.POLITICS soon!!!

						Best Regards
						Kim Chr. Madsen
						kimcm@diku.uucp

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (07/22/85)

In article <2291@flame.warwick.UUCP> kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) writes:
>In article <1050@diku.UUCP> kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>>In article <196@stl.UUCP> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>>>          ...  Would someone who is or knows a member of Greenpeace  find out
>>>more about their plans, put a better-informed item than this on the net, and
>>>tell us a secure way to make donations to the repairs.  By 'secure' I mean
>>>something like a well-known bank that would accept such donations and ensure
>>>that they get to Greenpeace, not just "Post to Fred".
>>

>>I don't know the right procedure but it could be starting a fund for
>>rebuilding Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior -- Or together make a public
>>statement and donate the money to the local Greenpeace office, I believe
>>there is one in almost every capital in Europe.
>
>I second this: anybody else got any ideas?  Kim, are you prepared to
>co-ordinate this (whatever it turns out to be)?  Whatever it is, you've
>got my vote and #5 (UK) or so.
>
>						Kay.
>
>--
    Count me in too. I will be able to devote some time to holding
up the Canadian end, or whatever seems to be necessary. I have a great
deal of respect for Greenpeace. They know how to protest with
nobility, and seem to be on the right side of most of the issues.
Kim, if you are co-ordinating this,(?), I'm with you!

Cheers,		Fred Williams, (the other Fred)

young@yale.ARPA (Jonathan Young) (07/31/85)

An ad in our local "alternative" newspaper headlined "Struck by violence,
we respond with peace" says that donations can be sent to

    Greenpeace/Rainbow Warrior Fund
    1611 Connecticut Ave., N.W.
    Washington, DC  20009
----
Jonathan Young (...decvax!yale!young@UUCP)
I'm not affilated with anyone.

dave@inset.UUCP (Dave Lukes) (08/02/85)

In article <2291@flame.warwick.UUCP> kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) writes:
>You've got my vote and #5 (UK) or so.
And mine.

As to what form it takes, I suggest we ask Greenpeace,
and if they don't mind, WE decide!
(-:GASP, SHOCK, HORROR, PROBE, REAL DECISION made on eunet !!!???!!! :-):-).

My personal favourite is a ``Rebuild Rainbow Warrior'' fund rather than
a general Greenpeace appeal.
Rationale: it's usually easier if you've got a specific aim.