[net.politics] Supposed monopolies: US Steel

fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) (08/02/85)

Regarding Charley Wingate's contention that U.S. Steel had monopoly powers
over the United States steel industry:

(Taken from Gabriel Kolko's book *The Triumph of Conservatism*)

In 1889 there were 719 companies in the United States steel industry.
The history of the next two decades shows attempted pricing agreements
and pools, almost all of which were abysmal failures (only a steel rail
pool was moderatley succesful).  This was followed by a wave of mergers that
ultimately led to the formation of U.S. Steel.  Let's see just how
much control U.S. Steel was able to exert over the steel market:

commodity			date		market share

ingots and casings		1901-1905	62.9%
				1911-1915	52.5%
				1921-1925	46.2%

pig iron			1901		43%
				1910		43%

finished rolled products	1901		50%
				1910		48%
wire nails			1901		66%
				1910		55%

total steel output of U.S.	1901		66%
				1920		39.9%

Quoting Kolko,

"In 1909 there were eleven firms other than U.S. Steel with at least $25
million in assets engaged in some aspect of the steel industry.  At this
time there were still 208 companies with blast furnaces, a decline of only
7% since 1899.  The number of companies with steel works and rolling mills
increased by one over the same period, to 446.  The number of firms
engaged in making tinplate and ternplate fell from fifty-seven to
thirty-one ovver the period of ten years, but the number of wire mills
using purchased rods increased from twenty-nine to fifty-six...
If nothing else, the steel industry was competitive before the World War,
and the efforts by the House of Morgan to establish control and stability
over the steel industry by voluntary, private economic means had failed.
Having failed in the realm of economics, the efforts of the United States
Steel group were to be shifted to politics."

For the rest of this somewhat depressing story, check out Kolko's book.

--Barry
--
Barry Fagin @ University of California, Berkeley

lkk@teddy.UUCP (08/02/85)

In article <9560@ucbvax.ARPA> fagin@ucbvax.UUCP (Barry Steven Fagin) writes:
>If nothing else, the steel industry was competitive before the World War,
>and the efforts by the House of Morgan to establish control and stability
>over the steel industry by voluntary, private economic means had failed.
>Having failed in the realm of economics, the efforts of the United States
>Steel group were to be shifted to politics."
>
>For the rest of this somewhat depressing story, check out Kolko's book.

It is a common libertarian ploy to point out that much of the abuse
that government regulations are meant to prevent was caused by govt.
interference in the first place.

Then they say: But if they had only kept a "free market" none of this would
have happened.

This point of view merely continues the myth of a feasable libertarian
state.  There were no EXTERNAL pressures for the govt. to get involved on
the side of US STEEL.  It was merely the natural result of the power
dynamics in this country.  IT WAS INEVITABLE, GIVEN THE ESSENTIALLY
UNDEMOCRATIC NATURE OF THE FEDERAL GOVT. AT THE TIME.   When the central
govt. is weak, and a few men are very powerful, THE GOVERNMENT WILL DO THEIR
BIDDING.  It clear from history that nature abhors a power vacuum.  Any
libertarian society will rapidly subcum (sp?) to non-governmental power
blocks, just as any "free" market will fall in the same manner.

Kolko would probably reccomend that a POPULAR government be given the
power to control those large corporations to prevent the situations described
in his book.  He's criticism of the particular history of U.S. govt. is
hardly a condemnation of interference in the free market.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

I'm going to have to punt on this one, as I cannot afford the time to research
this further.

C Wingate