[net.politics] Bombs as political weaponry

bill@persci.UUCP (08/06/85)

In article <13700006@orstcs.UUCP> richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) writes:
>Within the past few weeks there have been a number of postings about the
>Atomic bomb.  Several of these have been debating the morality of the first
>atomic bombs dropped on Japan.  One basic flaw runs through them all, and
>many other bomb related articles on the net. Most people are not aware of the
>following simple fact:
>
>*** A bomb is not a military weapon.  Rather, it is a political weapon. ***
>
>A bomb is not designed to take territory (the basic goal of all wars), but is
>intended to demoralize the population while *maybe* destroying installations
>useful to the enemy. [...]

"richardt" is right, generally, but I would like to point out that the bomb
is really just a tool, usable in many ways. I do not believe that Pearl
Harbor was just an attempt to demoralize a population, but rather an attempt
to gain a significant military advantage by destroying much of the opposing
weaponry. (Remember: Pearl Harbor was *not* intended to be a "sneak attack".)

Or, to put it another way, guns, tanks, airplanes, missiles, etc, all do not
take territory...
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill