[net.politics] South African solutions anyone?

todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) (07/25/85)

The situation in South Africa has deteriorated so much that
even the Reagan Administration is starting to complain.
What a shock!

I guess it's safe to say that almost no one outside of
South Africa is very happy with aparthied anymore.
But... the big question remains: What will/should replace
the present system of rule?

How valid are assertions that because South African blacks are
better off (Standard-of-living-wise) they should think twice
about revamping the status quo?

Assuming blacks gain power in S.A., what can America do
to establish relations (and still get all the mineral goodies)?

C'mon fellow netters, be ye commies or Birchers, sound off!!!

*********REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR OPINIONATED OPINIONS**********

bill@persci.UUCP (07/29/85)

In article <245@SCIRTP.UUCP> todd@SCIRTP.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
>The situation in South Africa has deteriorated so much that
>even the Reagan Administration is starting to complain.
>What a shock!
>[...]
>C'mon fellow netters, be ye commies or Birchers, sound off!!!
'Tain't neither (even tho' certain out there don't think so..), but..

It wouldn't be a shock if you didn't let your prejudice blind you..
(it's called believing your own propaganda, a very dangerous thing.)

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (08/01/85)

> The situation in South Africa...
has just become part of the "America Bashing" message string.
See my (lengthy) comments there.

> How valid are assertions that because South African blacks are
> better off (Standard-of-living-wise) they should think twice
> about revamping the status quo?
This one isn't covered there--the list of African states where
a black person can go to bed at night without worrying that the
henchmen of the local (Black) despot will make a midnight courtesy
call is a short one indeed.  Besides South Africa, I can think of maybe
one place--Ivory Coast, and I'm not completely sure about that one.
There is in fact a substantial net IN-migration of blacks INTO South Africa
looking for a better life.
Perhaps someone can tell us about other African Elyseums.
--
Gene Mutschler             {ihnp4 seismo ctvax}!ut-sally!batman!gene
Burroughs Corp.

baba@spar.UUCP (Baba ROM DOS) (08/03/85)

> > How valid are assertions that because South African blacks are
> > better off (Standard-of-living-wise) they should think twice
> > about revamping the status quo?
> This one isn't covered there--the list of African states where
> a black person can go to bed at night without worrying that the
> henchmen of the local (Black) despot will make a midnight courtesy
> call is a short one indeed.  Besides South Africa, I can think of maybe
> one place--Ivory Coast, and I'm not completely sure about that one.
> There is in fact a substantial net IN-migration of blacks INTO South Africa
> looking for a better life.
> Perhaps someone can tell us about other African Elyseums.
> --
> Gene Mutschler             {ihnp4 seismo ctvax}!ut-sally!batman!gene

But the issue in South Africa is not one of prosperity nor one of
personal security.  The issue is the unequal apportionment of prosperity
and security (among other things), enforced by law on the basis of race.

					Baba

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (08/04/85)

> > How valid are assertions that because South African blacks are
> > better off (Standard-of-living-wise) they should think twice
> > about revamping the status quo?
> This one isn't covered there--the list of African states where
> a black person can go to bed at night without worrying that the
> henchmen of the local (Black) despot will make a midnight courtesy
> call is a short one indeed.  Besides South Africa, I can think of maybe
> one place--Ivory Coast, and I'm not completely sure about that one.
> There is in fact a substantial net IN-migration of blacks INTO South Africa
> looking for a better life.
> Perhaps someone can tell us about other African Elyseums.

The problem in South Africa is not one of economics-- blacks in South
Africa appear to be better off economically than blacks in most of the
rest of Africa.  That still doesn't mean they shouldn't aspire to live
in a country where the distribution of power depends upon race.  If
economic reasons were the only valid ones for seeking change, there
probably would not have been an American Revolution, since many
people in the colonies (particularly the Northern ones) were reasonably
well off by the standards of the day and what life was like in
Europe.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sftri!mom

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (08/05/85)

> > > How valid are assertions that because South African blacks are
> > > better off (Standard-of-living-wise) they should think twice
> > > about revamping the status quo?

> > This one isn't covered there--the list of African states where
> > a black person can go to bed at night without worrying that the
> > henchmen of the local (Black) despot will make a midnight courtesy
> > call is a short one indeed.  Besides South Africa, I can think of maybe
>
> But the issue in South Africa is not one of prosperity nor one of
> personal security.  The issue is the unequal apportionment of prosperity
> and security (among other things), enforced by law on the basis of race.
>
> 					Baba
You will please note that 1) I was responding to the original question
regarding living standards; you are just looking for an excuse to
throw this year's trendy phrase: "racism". 2) Your evasion of the
original question implicitly excuses a bunch of tinpot despots all
over black Africa.  Not holding black rulers to the same standards
as their white counterparts is just as racist as the KKK.
--

baba@spar.UUCP (Baba ROM DOS) (08/08/85)

> > > This one isn't covered there--the list of African states where
> > > a black person can go to bed at night without worrying that the
> > > henchmen of the local (Black) despot will make a midnight courtesy
> > > call is a short one indeed.  Besides South Africa, I can think of maybe
> >
> > But the issue in South Africa is not one of prosperity nor one of
> > personal security.  The issue is the unequal apportionment of prosperity
> > and security (among other things), enforced by law on the basis of race.
> >
> > 					Baba
> You will please note that 1) I was responding to the original question
> regarding living standards; you are just looking for an excuse to
> throw this year's trendy phrase: "racism". 2) Your evasion of the
> original question implicitly excuses a bunch of tinpot despots all
> over black Africa.  Not holding black rulers to the same standards
> as their white counterparts is just as racist as the KKK.
> --
> Gene Mutschler             {ihnp4 seismo ctvax}!ut-sally!batman!gene

You will please note that:

	1a) Your response said nothing whatever about standards of living,
	    only that most black regimes in Africa are despotic and attack
	    citizens in their homes at random.  This is only relevant if
	    you believe that you can infer from it that blacks are unfit
	    to govern South Africa.  Is that what you were trying to say?

	1b) I rather pointedly did not use the word "racism" in my article.

	1c) Trendiness does not make oppsition to racism any less valid,
	    unless you can demonstrate that said opposition is dictated
	    by fashion rather than reason or conscience.  Can you?

	1d) Lack of trendiness does not make support of racism any more
	    valid, though I suppose there is less of a question of
	    sincerity.  But it is not for me to judge how firmly you
	    hold your beliefs (any more than it is for you to judge
	    how firmly I hold mine), only how well you argue them.

	2)  I fail to see how the assertion that black South Africans
	    are upset over systematic racial injustice, rather than
	    poverty and police terror per se, in any way excuses anyone
	    else anywhere of anything.  Please explain.

It will be a real shame if South Africa goes up in revolutionary flames
and leaves everyone (except the revolutionary leadership) worse off than
they are now.  But it does look as if the Africaaners are so addicted
to the benefits that apartheid confers (cheap housing, cheap labor,
high pay for positions that can only be filled by whites), that it
will take remarkable leadership for them to avoid precisely that.

					Baba

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (08/10/85)

    This assertion implies that the difference in standard of living between
SA blacks and blacks in other African nations is caused by the leadership of
South Africa.  Of course, all of the gold and precious metals under South
Africa has nothing to do with this prosperity. ;-)
    Seriously, does anyone think that it's more likely that this relative
prosperity is caused by the oppressive ruling class than by the country's
natural mineral wealth?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

nrh@inmet.UUCP (08/14/85)

>/* Written  5:02 pm  Aug  9, 1985 by mhuxt!js2j in inmet:net.politics */
>/* ---------- "Re: South African solutions anyone?" ---------- */
>
>    This assertion implies that the difference in standard of living between
>SA blacks and blacks in other African nations is caused by the leadership of
>South Africa.  Of course, all of the gold and precious metals under South
>Africa has nothing to do with this prosperity. ;-)
>    Seriously, does anyone think that it's more likely that this relative
>prosperity is caused by the oppressive ruling class than by the country's
>natural mineral wealth?

An interesting question.  I doubt the oppressive tendencies of the
ruling class help at all.  I suspect their technical expertise and that
of foreign investors has a lot to do with it -- but SA doesn't have the
only mineral wealth in Africa.