[net.politics] Hahvahd Bridge

tdh@frog.UUCP (T. Dave Hudson) (07/30/85)

> From: black@pundit.DEC (DON BLACK DTN 261-2739 MS: NIO/N13 LOC: POLE C6)

> (The Harvard Bridge crosses the Charles River between Harvard Square and
> one of the roughest sections of Boston.)

Unless we are overly generous with the word "between", MIT
is in Harvard Square and Back Bay is one of the roughest
sections of Boston.

I suppose after Harvard acquired Cambridge through imminent
() domain, MIT students formed a secret guerrilla base among
the frats across the river.  Or did the Lamb Chops renew the
Terrible Peanut Butter War?  Maybe against Harvard this
time??

				David Hudson

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (08/03/85)

> > (The Harvard Bridge crosses the Charles River between Harvard Square and
> > one of the roughest sections of Boston.)

	No, that bridge between Harvard Square and Allston is the Anderson
Bridge.
	The Harvard Bridge actually runs right next to MIT (between MIT and
the Back Bay)
	Having the bridge between their campus and their fraternities named
after "the small liberal arts college down the road" has driven those
"trade school~ students crazy for generations, and with alarming regularity
they wage a guerilla war to have the bridge renamed for a 'Richard S. Smoot,'
who was rolled across the bridge sometime around the turn of the century.
To this day, the length of the bridge is marked in "Smoots." (Memory fails
me, but I believe it something around 468.4 Smoots and 1 ear in length.)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

gml@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gregory M Lobdell) (08/07/85)

> To this day, the length of the bridge is marked in "Smoots." (Memory fails
> me, but I believe it something around 468.4 Smoots and 1 ear in length.)

Close, 365.4 Smoots and 1 Ear.

The joke?

How many Ears in a Smoot?

<multiple LFs>

Two, how many ears do you have?

Gregg Lobdell

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (08/07/85)

> > > (The Harvard Bridge crosses the Charles River between Harvard Square and
> > > one of the roughest sections of Boston.)
> >
> 	No, that bridge between Harvard Square and Allston is the Anderson
> Bridge.
> 	The Harvard Bridge actually runs right next to MIT (between MIT and
> the Back Bay)
Allston may be a blue collar section of Boston (not sure), but sure it is
not rough. On the other hand, Harvard Bridge leads to Roxbury, which is
Boston's Harlem.  Of course, it is a mile (through yuppie Back Bay) from
Roxbury and two miles from Harvard.  However, if you are driving fast and
you don't notice any "trade school" on the way...

bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) (08/08/85)

> > > (The Harvard Bridge crosses the Charles River between Harvard Square and
> > > one of the roughest sections of Boston.)
> >
> 	No, that bridge between Harvard Square and Allston is the Anderson
> Bridge.
> 	The Harvard Bridge actually runs right next to MIT (between MIT and
> the Back Bay)
> 	Having the bridge between their campus and their fraternities named
> after "the small liberal arts college down the road" has driven those
> "trade school~ students crazy for generations, and with alarming regularity
> they wage a guerilla war to have the bridge renamed for a 'Richard S. Smoot,'
> who was rolled across the bridge sometime around the turn of the century.

The story I heard in my Undergrad days was that when the highway department
decided to put the bridge in they couldn't decide whether to name it the MIT
Bridge or the Harvard Bridge so they asked each school to write a summary of
why they should name the bridge after their school.

Well, Harvard wrote this long discourse on how Harvard was the oldest college
in the nation and deserves the honor of having the bridge named after it.

MIT, after looking at the engineering plans for the bridge, wrote this long
discourse on why they should name the bridge after Harvard...

(It seemed funny to me at the time after driving over that bumpy old bridge
 enough times to visit B.U.:-)

Bob Bruck
(hao | allegra | ...)!nbires!bob

stern@steinmetz.UUCP (Harold A. Stern) (08/14/85)

> > To this day, the length of the bridge is marked in "Smoots." (Memory fails
> > me, but I believe it something around 468.4 Smoots and 1 ear in length.)
> Close, 365.4 Smoots and 1 Ear.
> Gregg Lobdell
							     *
I am shocked that someone with the infamous name of "Lobdell" should
be mistaken on a matter of such grave importance. The bridge is exactly
364.4 Smoots and 1 ear.

harold a. stern					   	     410 memorial drive
stern%teela@mit-athena	   			            cambridge, ma 02139
decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!edison!steinmetz!stern          (617) 225-8304, 253-1541

*
 You tell 'em, Gregg