[net.politics] Islam

heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) (07/20/85)

In the heat of the discussion of the Lebanon hostage crisis, several
accusations were directed to Islam as a whole.  Being a muslem, I would like
to respond to one of these accusations.  Maybe my response will help those who
want to better understand Muslems and Islam.

Mr. Joaquim Martillo (martillo@mit-athena.UUCP) charges that:

> Muslims as a matter of religious faith and practise consider themselves
> obligated to humiliate and degrade non-Muslims.

Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
who forgive.

The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched; but they
should pay a tax (called "Jiziah" in arabic) which is almost equivalent to the
tax paid by muslems ("Zakah").  The two standard principles in Islamic Law
("shari'a") that define the relation with non-muslems are:

1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
   "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
   wa alayhom ma alayna")

Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
governing financial transactions.

The prophet Muhammad said:

* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
  with non-muslems as a social contract)
* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].

Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the world, which is also
associated with a major civilization.  Also, observe that political groups
who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
under its teachings.

The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

				Abdelsalam Heddaya
				Arpa:	  heddaya@harvard.arpa
				Internet: heddaya@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
				UUCP:	  {seismo,ihnp4,...}!harvard!heddaya

cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/22/85)

I wonder how Islam contributed to the Greek Civilization. I would
rather say it destroyed it when the Turks demolished the Byzantine
Empire and burned Greece from east to west. They even blew up
part of Parthenon. Just look at what happened to the (one-time)
Glorious St. Sofia in Constantinople the most important Cathedral
of all Christianity (at that time). Just a few weeks ago the Turks
demolished an ancient Greek church (a precious piece of art) in
Istanbul despite the protests of the Greek government and numerous
other international organizations. Of course I have nothing against
Islam but I was just wondering about their contributions ......

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (07/24/85)

In article <harvard.264> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:
>Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
>religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
>Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
>self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
>who forgive.
>
>				Abdelsalam Heddaya
>				Arpa:	  heddaya@harvard.arpa
>				Internet: heddaya@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
>				UUCP:	  {seismo,ihnp4,...}!harvard!heddaya

It is with great interest that I read this article.  Mr. Heddaya shows
a fair amount of valor in his eagerness to act as apologist for
Islam.  I have no doubt that Mr. Heddaya is both devout and truly a
paradigm of tolerance, though in believing so I must also admire
his philosophic dexterity.  No doubt there are numerous other
Moslems who also find it possible to pass by an unguarded building
brimming with infidels without a longing thought of explosions and
billowing flame and who do not spend the occasional night with warm
and liquid dreams of bludgeoning young American servicemen into paste
or stretching the neck of a passing B`hai.

Still, I find it difficult to believe Mr. Heddaya`s claims of tolerance
as the standard for the Moslem world.  First, the claim that allowances
are made for infidels in Islamic law is true, but the remaining law
that ALL must live by is still intrusive and all-encompassing enough
to make an Hassidic Jew a slacker; this is a law that punishes petty
theft with mutilation/amputation and adultery with death.  Even in
"moderate" Saudi Arabia, the punishment for drinking alcohol is enough
to make my hands shake as they reach for the Jack Daniels.

HOWEVER, there are those who say I am cynical.  There are those who
say (quite incorrectly) that I, in turn, am not the paradigm
of objectivity.  So, let me defer to a true believer, the one, the
only, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini himself - no piker when it comes
to Islamic law, let me tell you.  The following is from a speech
given December 12, 1984, the birthday of Mohammed, and is taken from
the April, 1985 edition of Harper`s.

To wit:

	"If one allows an infidel to continue in his role as
   corrupter of the earth, his moral suffering will be all the worse.
   If one kills the infidel, and thus stops him from perpetrating his
   misdeeds, his death will be a blessing to him.  For if he remains
   alive, he will become more and more corrupt.  This is a surgical
   procedure commanded by God the all-powerful.
	Those who imagine that our time on earth is a divine gift, those
   who believe that eating and sleeping like animals are gifts from God,
   say that Islam should not inflict punishments.  But those who follow
   the teachings of the Koran know that Islam must apply the lex talionis
   and thus that they must kill.  Those who have knowledge of the suffering
   in life to come realize that cutting off th hand of someone for a
   crime he has committed is of benefit to him.  In the Beyond he will
   thank those who, on earth, executed the will of God.
	War is a blessing for the world and for all nations.  It is God
   who incites men to fight and to kill.  The Koran says: "Fight until
   all corruption and all rebellion have ceased."  The wars the Prophet
   led against the infidels were a blessing for all humanity.  Imagine
   that we will soon win the war [against Iraq].  That will not be enough
   for corruption and resistance to Islam will still exist. The Koran says
   "War, war until victory."  A religion without war is an incomplete
   religion.  If His Holiness Jesus - blessings upon him - had been
   given more time, he would have acted as Moses did, and wielded the sword.
   Those who believe that Jesus did not have "a head for such things," that
   he was not interested in war, see in him nothing more than a simple
   preacher, and not a prophet.  A prophet is all-powerful.  Through
   war he purifies the earth.  The mullahs with corrupt hearts who say that
   it is contrary to the teachings of the Koran are unworthy of Islam.
   Thanks to God, our young people are now, to the limits of their
   means, putting Gods commandments into action.  They know that to kill
   unbelievers is one of man`s greatest missions."

I suppose that tolerance, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beheader.
Er... beholder.

Bill Oliver

The opinions expressed above are my own and should not be considered
the opinions of any Agency, Office, or empoyee of the State of North
Carolina.

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (07/25/85)

Bill Oliver's posting of the Ayatollah's speech shows another example,
of the many throughout history, of a person or group that feels that
he/she/they know what G-d wants and it is their job to carry out His
will.  (Aside: Do they think that G-d can't carry out His own will?).
It reminds me of an old Yiddish saying:  When man thinks, G-d laughs.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                    "I may be drunk, but you're ugly.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (07/26/85)

> In article <harvard.264> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:
> >Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
> >religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
> >Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
> >self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
> >who forgive.
> >				Abdelsalam Heddaya
>
> Still, I find it difficult to believe Mr. Heddaya`s claims of tolerance
> as the standard for the Moslem world.
> The following is from a speech
> given December 12, 1984, the birthday of Mohammed, and is taken from
> the April, 1985 edition of Harper`s.

	. . . speech by Kohomeni, he talks of dying and killing to
	make the world right . . .

> Bill Oliver

	Citing Kohomeni to make arguments about Islam in general
is analogous to quoting Falwell to make arguments about Christianity
in general.  Many religions have had to alter their fundemental
beliefs to exist in the world as has been since the early times
when the religions started.

	The Shi'i and the Suni'i are quite different.  The idea
of an Inman, a leader who is divinely inspired and incapable
of error is a Shi'ite belief.   I am sure that even among
the Shi'ites it is not completely agreed that Kohomeni is an Inman.

	The rift within Islam is so great that it brought down the centuries
old Islamic empire in the 1500's.

	Western culture owes a vast debt to the Islamic empire.
All of the ancient Greek works, including the New Testment,
were saved by Moslems.   The Christians burned the
library at Alexandria.  The Islamic cultures
preserved the philosophy and geometry of the ancient Greeks
and reintroduced it to Europe.  "Algebra" comes from an
Arabic word, and our system of numbers comes from Arabic.

	The beliefs of the Islamic people may seem strange
or even violent to us.  However, we all exist in this world
together.  Islamic people have a heritage of a great culture
that is older than the cultures in Europe and the United
States.

	Often people in the United States cite examples to show
how barbaric, backward, evil, or whatever that Moslems are.
How do you think this makes a Moslem feel?   No wonder so many
Moslems in the Mideast hate the United States.  When our
ansestors were burning each other at the stake, the Moslems
were enriching the world with important advances in litrature,
medicine, art, mathematics, and science. Yet people in the
United States have the audacity to call THEM barbarians.

	European powers eventually took over all of the Arabian
states.  They colonized them, as it were.  Basically, that means
that European powers simply took whatever resources they wanted
from their colonies.   In Arabia it was oil, and for many years
Western powers simply took the oil and charged themselves
any price they wanted.  Sure they had to pay part to the countries,
but they pumped out the oil and sold it to themselves, so they
could charge any price they wanted.  It was a messy business
when the Arab states demanded determination over their own
resources.

	In short, the Islamic people have been ripped off, insulted,
and generally abused in the worst way by the West and they have
every reason to be angry.

	It is reasonable to make an attempt to understand other
people in the world.   I found "The Majesty that was Islam"
a good introduction to the  "golden age" of Islam.

	It is not reasonable to expect a people with as long a
history as the Islamic people to suddenly shift their world
view so that it agrees with the average American world view.
If you do not like the customs in Arabia, don't go there.
If you want to abide by the customs of the country you
visit and to learn to respect the people and the customs,
then any place is open to you.

	It's true, Dorthy, it's not Kansas, but you might discover
that it is OZ.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (07/26/85)

> 1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
>    "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
> 2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
>    wa alayhom ma alayna")
>
> Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
> marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
> have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
> governing financial transactions.

In practice it doesn't quite work that way. Recently a Japanese couple were
stoned to death in one of the Arab countries because they didn't happen to be
legally married, and the woman was pregnant. They were techs of some sort.
At least they waited till the baby was born before executing the woman.

Could someone confirm this? I don't have the article at hand.

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (07/26/85)

In article <264@harvard.ARPA> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:
>The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
>sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
>are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
>their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched;
>..
>..
>
>Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
>marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
>have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
>governing financial transactions.

An important point, is that in Western society much of what we
hold in religion we also hold in the criminal law, so that polygamy,
Marijuana, etcetera that we hold illegal can be part of religious beliefs
elsewhere.
An example would be to offer communion in an Islaam state would have to
be done with grape juice, or after special provision with wine.
Education is another thing held under law and often also
claimed by religion especially the more fundamentalist religions whatever
their stripe.  Even amng the open Muslim states there exists some
variance in what can or cannot be done.
>The prophet Muhammad said:
>
>* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
>  with non-muslems as a social contract)
>* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
>  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].
>
>Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
>book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
>their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
>Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
>christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
>he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

I have to agree with the intent, the openess of the Prophet's
contract jars with western society. The education Act in Ontario was
amended a few years back from an instruction for teachers to
promote Christian to Judeo Christian Morality. For
my friends that were Hindu or Shinto or Muslim, they seemed
to have been forgotten....

>Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the world, which is also
>associated with a major civilization.  Also, observe that political groups
>who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
>under its teachings.

One must look at the people who wrap their actions in the cloth of the Prophet,
What is happening to the B'ahai In Iran stands foremost in my mind.  They may
not represent the spirit of Muslim, but they represent by sheer numbers
the impact of what has become revilutionary fundamentalist muslim in this
world....

>The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
>developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
>civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

The Muslim world had some of the worlds first and most progressive
University, and then the mullahs came in and the advance of knowledge slowed.
I think the rationale for one of the burnings of the Library of
Alexandria was that if it (the knowledge conatained in the Library)
was correct it was in the Koran, and that if it was not in the Koran then
it was wrong, so there was no need  for the library....
--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (07/27/85)

Bill Oliver writes:
>So, let me defer to a true believer, the one, the only, Ayatollah Ruhollah
>Khomeini himself - no piker when it comes to Islamic law, let me tell you.
>The following is from a speech given December 12, 1984, the birthday of
>Mohammed, and is taken from the April, 1985 edition of Harper`s.
   >Thanks to God, our young people are now, to the limits of their
   >means, putting Gods commandments into action.  They know that to kill
   >unbelievers is one of man`s greatest missions."

I write:
The *word* as delivered by the various sects of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity
(and lots of others too numerous to mention here) is often idealistic. Problem
is, that same word is interpreted by homo sapiens, any particular one seeing
or distorting things within the context of their own particular dialectic,
culture, passions, or mental aberrations.

No matter the lunatic extremist--Khomeini, Meyer Kahane (sp?), Jim Jones,
James Lincoln Rockwell, or Stalin--there will always be horror committed and
insanity spread. And these same people will always draw other loons to them.

The *word* matters little--what is done with the word is the crux of it.

Just a thought.

-- Jeff Shore, ..!ihnp4!druri!jhs

"You can't call ME crazy!! I'll kill ya!!!"

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (07/27/85)

>> In article <harvard.264> heddaya@harvard.ARPA ( Solom) writes:

(paraphrased for length)
   Hey, we`re not such bad guys.  We tolerate you.

>> >				Abdelsalam Heddaya

>> I reply,
(paraphrased again)

  Oh yeah?  That`s not what I hear from the Western Front.
   Quote from Khomeini....

>> Bill Oliver

Now on to Don Steiny.....

>	Citing Kohomeni to make arguments about Islam in general
>is analogous to quoting Falwell to make arguments about Christianity
>in general....
>
>	The Shi'i and the Suni'i are quite different.  The idea
>of an Inman, a leader who is divinely inspired and incapable
>of error is a Shi'ite belief.

Well, perhaps, if you want to make a very bad analogy.   Khomeini
and Falwell are similar in that they are both so-called fundamentalists.
Falwell on one hand, however, is at best a spokesman for a minority
of Protestant fundamentalists in the US.  Khomeini is a leader with
authority similar to that of the Pope, exerted in countries
where his voice is law. There are 35 million people in Iran alone, 98%
of which are big fans of his(1).  This is not the leader of some
rag tag fugitive fleet running from the invading Zionists. We`re
talking bunches of folks. If one is driven to discussing Oriental
religion in terms of the West, then I suggest that the analogy with
Catholicism/Protestantism is better.  Then, in fact, one can make
statements about Christianity as a whole, with the caveat that
no statements are universal.

Sure, Shiites get their jollies from blowing away lots of people, which
everyone on the net agrees is a no-no.  The Sunni mostly just like to blow
up Israelis, which seems, on the net, to be OK.

>	Western culture owes a vast debt to the Islamic empire.

 (paraphrase)
   Moslems did a bunch of neat stuff a few centuries back.
   Better than the West.

Sure.  Does this make them tolerant?  Things have changed since
the 13th century, Mr. Steiny.  Islam gets high grades when compared to
early medieval West.  Mosts folk`s concepts of civilized behavior
have changed since then;  fundamental Islam generally hasn`t.

(paraphrase)e
     The West did a bunch of nasty things to the Arabs, and
     everything`s all our fault.

>	In short, the Islamic people have been ripped off, insulted,
>and generally abused in the worst way by the West and they have
>every reason to be angry.

Without addressing your accusations against the West, let me
remind you that my article was in response to Mr. Heddeya`s assertions
of Islamic tolerance.  If you are saying that Islam is justified
in it`s intolerance, that is a different question altogether.

I somehow get the impression that the general drift of your
article was that Islam really is tolerant; I just chose a
straw man by choosing a spokesman from the second biggest
Islamic sect rather than the first.

WELL.  Let`s look at it a little more closely, then.  As Mr.
Heddeya stated, even in the most liberal Islamic state, the penal
code is still derived from religious thought.  That means that
the best one can do in terms of separation of church and state
is more than the legendary Mr. Falwell thinks of in his most
expansive moments.

 To quote the Islamic Council of Europe:
        Islam conceives of God`s purpose of creation as the realization
   of His will, the highest part of which is the moral...  That is
   why Islam soes not countenance any separation of religion and
   state.  The state is society`s political arm which, like society
   itself, is meant to bring about the realization of the absolute
   in history.  Between the state proper, society with its other
   organs and institutions, and man as person, there is only a division
   of labor, a distinction as to function.  All are subject to the same
   purpose and goal.  The transitiveness of man`s actions demands a
   public law to regulate it.  It cannot be satisfied with a
   verdict of conscience.  That is why Islam had to develop the
   sharia, a public law governing the personal as well as the societal
   fields of actions...(2).

   Even when explicitly acting as apologist for Muslim views on
human rights, Brohi(3) finds himself saying:

   As an Islamic State is an ideological State, some reservation
   will have to be made against non-Muslims in matters which demand complete
   identification with the ideology of the State....

and then ends with:
   Europe has opted for the `permissive society` and has landed in chaos.
   Islam on the other hand has asked us to become members of a disciplined
   society; by disciplining ourselves we rule ourselves from within.
   The State enfroces the law of God against those who are out to disrupt
   social order and pose threats to human security.

Or observe the Universal Islamic Declaration (4):

IV Framework for an Islamic Order
1) State Policy

a) The sharia is the supreme law of the Muslim community and must be
   enforced in its entirety in all aspects of life.  Each and every
   Muslim country must explicitly make Sharia the criterion by which
   to judge public and private conduct of all, rulers and ruled alike,
   and the chief source of all legislation in the country.

c) It is the obligation and right of every person to participate
   in the political process, and political authority is to be
   entrusted to those who are worthy of it ACCORDING TO THE ISLAMIC
   CRITERION OF KNOWLEDGE, TRUSTWORTHINESS, AND CAPABILITY.
   (emphasis mine)

f) ALL persons in authority are bound by the rules of the Sharia
   both in regard to their personal as well as public conduct.
   (empahsis mine)

Admittedly, the Sharia is unequally applied to non-Muslims, depending
upon which country one happens to be in.  However,
in a fundamentalist state it is almost
always partially applied, especially in the Hadd punishments, those
directly decreed by God. For example, the Koran demands punishment
of fornication with 100 lashes, adultery with death, drinking of
intoxicating beverages with 40 lashes, and theft with amputation(5).
Furthermore, as with all legislatures, the
laws are made to extend around the
immediate `liberties` given to the minority.  What good is
liberty to eat pork if the sale of pork is forbidden?

So, this great tolerance I am hearing about is a tolerance of a
country where I would be taxed differently because of my religion,
I would be held unequal under the law because of my religion, I
would be barred from high political office because of my religion,
and, OK,  somewhat less than half the people want to kill me as a
religious duty.

>	Often people in the United States cite examples to show
>how barbaric, backward, evil, or whatever that Moslems are.
>How do you think this makes a Moslem feel?   No wonder so many
>Moslems in the Mideast hate the United States.

I would hope that this theoretical Moslem would go back and
work to see that I no longer have so many examples to cite.
I don`t hate anybody.  I once seriously considered converting to
Islam, and I am basically sympathetic with much of Islamic
theology.  I just don`t see this as tolerance.

>	It's true, Dorthy, it's not Kansas, but you might discover
>that it is OZ.

I am not Dorothy, Mr. Steiny, and, though it may be a shock, this is
not Oz.

Bill Oliver

standard disclaimer

1) Ghulam Sarwar. Islam: Beliefs and Teachings. The Muslim Educational
   Trust, pubs. 1982. p 204.

2) Isma`il Al Faruqi, Islam as Culture and Civilization. in Islam and
   Contemporary Society.  published by Longman in association with the
   Islamic Council of Europe, London and New York. pp 140-176.

3) Allahbukhsh K Brohi, Human Rights and Duties in Islam.  in
   Islam and Contemporary Society. pp 231-252.

4) Salem Azzam, Secretary General, Islamic Council. in Islam and
   Contemporary Society. pp 253-266.

5) Herbert J. Liebesny. The Law of the Near and Middle East.
   State University of New York Press, Albany, 1975. p228-229.

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (07/29/85)

In article <11000113@uiucdcsb> cdp@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>I wonder how Islam contributed to the Greek Civilization. I would
>rather say it destroyed it when the Turks demolished the Byzantine
>Empire and burned Greece from east to west. They even blew up
>part of Parthenon. Just look at what happened to the (one-time)
>Glorious St. Sofia in Constantinople the most important Cathedral
>of all Christianity (at that time). Just a few weeks ago the Turks
>demolished an ancient Greek church (a precious piece of art) in
>Istanbul despite the protests of the Greek government and numerous
>other international organizations. Of course I have nothing against
>Islam but I was just wondering about their contributions ......

This kind of misinformation and vendetta posing as commentary makes
me sick.  Any decent reader of history knows Islamic scholarship
was the bridge which carried Greek knowledge to Europe in the Middle
Ages, without which none of Greek philosophy, ethics, or politics
would have survived to the present, or contributed to the Renaissance,
etc..  And any reader of Islamic history knows that the classical
period of Islam as a trading empire ended with the Turks.  For more,
read Shaban's two-volume set on Islamic history (my favorite); on
early Islam, Maxime Rodinson's *Muhammad* is good.

As far as modern history goes, I've never seen Turkey since the Ataturk
social revolution -- a Western, secular one -- classed with the
Islamic states that need religion as part of the foundation of the
state for historical and political reasons.  The depredations of the
current Turkish military regime have little if anything to do with
Islam or religious law.

I have enough Islamic friends to feel deeply insulted by articles like
the one above.  Criticism should never degenerate into dehumanizing
slander.  Nuff said.

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) (07/30/85)

>In the heat of the discussion of the Lebanon hostage crisis, several
>accusations were directed to Islam as a whole.  Being a muslem, I would like
>to respond to one of these accusations.  Maybe my response will help those who
>want to better understand Muslems and Islam.

>Mr. Joaquim Martillo (martillo@mit-athena.UUCP) charges that:

>> Muslims as a matter of religious faith and practise consider themselves
>> obligated to humiliate and degrade non-Muslims.

>Imagine my surprise at reading that after all what I have been taught of my
>religion (Islam) at home, at school, and at the mosque.  I was taught that
>Islam is the religion of tolerance, that violence can only be condoned in
>self-defense, and even then, God (=Allah in arabic) loves and rewards those
>who forgive.

What bull shit!  Tolerance  has never been considered  a virtue in the
major Western religions.  The concept of tolerance as  a virtue begins
with  the Enlightenment and  really  only comes  to full expression in
the middle 19th century in Western Europe.  To claim  Islam a religion
which   came into  being  in the  7th century  by  Christian reakoning
considers as a  virtue an  idea  which neither Europeans  nor  Muslims
hardly  even  thought about until   100 years  ago  is  an   insult to
intelligence.

>The rules given by the Koran (our holy book) and Sunna (prophet Mohammad's
>sayings and actions) regarding treating non-muslems under muslem jurisdiction
>are very clear and unambiguous: they should be allowed to worship freely;
>their properties and religious structures are to remain untouched; but they
>should pay a tax (called "Jiziah" in arabic) which is almost equivalent to the
>tax paid by muslems ("Zakah").

Actually, the  jizya   and the  kharaj  were  a  crushing burden which
wiped out  the non-muslim  peasantry almost everywhere  in the Islamic
world.  The  disappearance of the  non-muslim  peasantry  is an easily
verifiable fact.

The following is the relevant passage on the jizyah from the Qur'an:

Fight  against those  to whom the  Scriptures were given,  who believe
not in Allah nor in  the Last Day, who  forbid not what  Allah and His
apostle have forbidden, and follow not the true  faith, until they pay
the tribute out  of  hand and are  humbled (hatta yu`tu 'l-jizyata `an
yadin   wa-hum saghirum  is   somewhat obscure  --   I have translated
according to later Muslim understanding.)  Sura 9:29

The following is  from a  standard commentary  on the Qur'an by Mahmud
ibn `Umar al-Zamakshari (1075-1144).

The jizya shall be taken from them  with belittlement and humiliation.
He  [the dhimmi] shall come  in person,  walking not riding.   When he
pays, he  shall stand, while  the tax collector sits.   The  collector
shall seize him by the scruff of  the neck, shake  him, and say:  'Pay
the jizya!', and when  he pays it he shall  be slapped on  the nape of
the neck.

So what is  the  purpose of this   shit --   which my    parents  and
grandparents had to undergo?

From  the  Hanbali  jurist Ibn   al-Naqqah  (1400s) in  Belin,  "Fetwa
relatif  a la condition des  dhimmis et particulierement des chretiens
en pays  musulmans depuis l`etablissement  de l`Islam  jusqu`au milieu
du 8e  siecle de l'hegire," Journal  Asiatique 4th series,  19 (1852):
107-108 --  I  believe Heddaya can  find  this at Widener  or  at  the
Library which I believe is in the Semitics Museum building:

Perhaps in the end they will come to  believe in God and  His Prophet,
and thus be delivered from this shameful yoke.

Therefore, while Muslims are not obligated  to convert  by force, they
are obligated to annihilate   gradually the non-Muslim  communities by
humiliation and degradation.

No wonder  the  Copts  in  Egypt get rather upset  when  Sheikh  Hafiz
Salama calls for the reintroduction of the jizya.

>				 The two standard principles in Islamic Law
>("shari'a") that define the relation with non-muslems are:

This is pure ignorance.  The legal basis  of  the relationship between
Muslims  and  non-Muslims is   the pact  of   `Umar  which   gives the
non-Muslims permanent second-class  status and compels non-Muslims  to
abase themselves before Muslims.

>1) Let them do what they believe in.  (literal translation of the arabic
>   "etrukohom wa ma yadeenoon")
>2) For them what is for us, and from them what is from us.  ("lahom ma lana,
>   wa alayhom ma alayna")

>Applying these principles, non-muslems are allowed to have their own laws in
>marriage, divorce, and the like.  What they don't get to choose, though--and
>have to follow Muslem law in--is the penal code (for crimes) and the laws
>governing financial transactions.

Which is a fairly  large qualification since  Muslim courts invariably
accept  the testimony of   Muslims    and   reject  the testimony   of
non-Muslims.

>The prophet Muhammad said:

>* Protect my [contract with non-muslems].  (Muslem law defines the relation
>  with non-muslems as a social contract)

The Qur'an says (Sura 5:51):

O you who believe! Take  not the Jews and the  Christians as  friends.
They are friends to  one  another.  Whoever of  you  befriends them is
one of them.  Allah does not guide the people who do evil.

Sura 9:30:

The Jews say,  "Ezra is the son   of Allah,"  and  the Christians say,
"The  Messiah  is the son  of  Allah."   Thos are the   words of their
mouths, conforming  to  the   words of   the unbelievers  before them.
Allah attack them!  How perverse they are!

>* Whoever is unfair to a [non-muslem], or [taxes] him more than he can
>  afford, then I will [argue against him on the day of judgement].

The above quotation is from  a non-canonical (and  therefore of little
legal value) hadith (if I recognize it  properly).  I believe the full
context   can be  found   in Abu   Yusuf,  Kitab  al-Kharaj    (Cairo,
1382/1962-63) pp 122-25.  It has no isnad (chain of transmission).

>Moreover, Islam grants a special status to Christians and Jews (people of the
>book), because Islam recognizes and acknowledges both religions as valid in
>their own times and places.  You must see how highly the Koran speaks of
>Jesus and Moses to understand that no devout muslem is going to hurt a
>christian or jew just because of the latter's belief.  And if he does, then
>he is simply violating the teachings of Islam as it stands documented.

The  Qur'an frequently   states the  Christians and Jews   warped  and
distorted the teachings  which Jesus   and  Moses gave.   Such an idea
cannot help but inspire Muslim contempt for Christians and Jews.

>Please, don't prematurely judge a major religion of the  world, which is also
>associated with a major civilization. Also,  observe  that political groups
>who are labeled as Muslem do not always operate in the name of Islam, or even
>under its teachings.

After reading Heddaya's rather  ignorant statements about  Islam, I am
only more convinced that if  a Westerner  wants to learn about  Islam,
he should not  listen to Westernized  propagandists and apologists but
rather should  read and  listen to  men like the   Ayatollah Khomeini,
Sheikh `Umar Abd  el-Rahman, `Umar el-Talmassani,  Gad el-Hakk, Sheikh
Hafiz Salama who  are really  all  right  in the   mainstream of their
tradition.

In any case, even  if  Heddaya were writing  truthfully, claiming that
the Islamic attitude toward non-Muslims  can  be determined merely  be
reading  the Qur'an is   pure intellectual dishonesty.  Analagously, I
could prove on the  basis of the  USA  Constitution and Declaration of
Independence that Black slavery never existed in the USA.

>The Barbaric Islam, as Mr. Martillo prefers to call it, has maintained and
>developed the contributions of the ancient egyptian, greek, and persian
>civilizations while Europe was in the dark ages!

I do not deny that Muslims added a modicum to  the classical heritage.
I do believe their   contribution  is often exaggerated, but  this  is
irrelevant to my contention.

I  contend   that Islam qua    ideology assigns non-Muslims  permanent
second-class status and requires  the humiliation and   degradation of
non-Muslims.  This can be determined by studying  the  body of Islamic
commentary, jurisprudence, and   theology of  the   last  1300  years.
Further, the ideologicaly position   of non-Muslims has  been steadily
declining over at least the past millenium.  This is most apparent  in
the Hanbali  school of thought  which has tended  lately  to deny  the
legitimacy  of   the   dhimma.  Fortunately,   for   most of the  last
millenium, the  rulers  and their  dependent   jurists  have  taken  a
slightly more  lenient viewpoint  than the `ulama and the   non-Muslim
communities were able to  survive to the 19th  century when they could
get   protection    from  Europe.

Unfortunately, nowadays the ruling-elites in  most  Muslim nations are
almost totally Westernized and have lost both legitimacy  and the will
to  resist  the  `ulama's  increasing  demands  for power  which  have
basically made the ideology of  the `ulama equivalent  to the ideology
of Islam.

Several  have  argued   that   Muslims are  no  better  Muslims   than
Christians  are good   Christians.  Therefore, my arguments  would  be
irrelevant.   But the fundamental  ideology is important.  Because Jim
Crow  conflicted with  the  fundamental ideology  of American society,
Jim Crow died in the USA.  But in  Germany several hundred  years ago,
Martin Luther  said the synagogue should be  burned and  that the Jews
should be gathered and murdered.  And  the Germans  eventually carried
out these tasks.

Likewise    in Islam   the     fundamental ideology has  required  the
humiliation and  degradation  of non-Muslims.   Muslim attitude toward
non-Muslims cannot help but  be affected.  Consequently over the  past
millenium non-Muslims   have  been   subjected   to  ever   increasing
contempt, harassment  and persecution.   And the  Muslims  see nothing
wrong with this or like the Germans have refused  to  see it happening
(by the way you should not ask Muslim  whether  they treat non-Muslims
well -- that   is like  asking the Southern   slaveholder  whether his
slaves  were happy).     For this   reason,  until    Muslims  make  a
fundamental ideological  adjustment and concede that  they  just might
owe  non-Muslims  for  historical and   current  mistreatment, Muslims
cannot be  permitted  to  rule  countries   and must be   returned  to
colonial status until they get over Islam.

In the seventh century,  when   the   Muslims   took  the    Byzantine
territories,  I    am sure  that   my  ancestors who  lived  in  these
territories  were relieved.   The Byzantines were   scum.  Humiliation
and degradation and  permanent second-class-status  were  better  than
anything the Byzantines offered.  But I nowadays  do not compare Islam
with Byzantinism but rather with truth, justice and  the American way.
Just as Byzantinism   became detritus to  be  swept  away by  changing
circumstances.   Nowadays  Islam  is  the  detritus which  should   be
removed to garbage dump of history.

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (07/30/85)

> I wonder how Islam contributed to the Greek Civilization. I would
> rather say it destroyed it when the Turks demolished the Byzantine
> Empire and burned Greece from east to west. They even blew up
> part of Parthenon. Just look at what happened to the (one-time)
> Glorious St. Sofia in Constantinople the most important Cathedral
> of all Christianity (at that time). Just a few weeks ago the Turks
> demolished an ancient Greek church (a precious piece of art) in
> Istanbul despite the protests of the Greek government and numerous
> other international organizations. Of course I have nothing against
> Islam but I was just wondering about their contributions ......

The ages VII through XII were not the most interesting era in Europe.
Head bashing with swords was one of the tipical pasttimes.  During this
time Moslem were studying Aristotle, Plato, Euclides etc., developed
notions of algebra and algorithm (al-gibra and al-gorithm).  Only afer
numerous contacts of Europians with Muslim the more enlightened part of
Middle Ages begun.
As far as destroing or drastically "remodelling" churches by Turks,
remeber what Spanish did after their Reconquista.
When one is dismayed by the current wave of shovinism, fundamentalism
etc. in Muslim countries, it is good to remember that Europe was
indulging itself in similar vices no more than 50 years ago.
50 years is not much, when one inspects the development of a civilization
through ages.

 P. Berman

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (08/01/85)

> Nowadays  Islam  is  the  detritus which  should   be
> removed to garbage dump of history.

	How do you propose to do that?

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software
109 Torrey Pine Terrace
Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (08/02/85)

One paragraph in Y. Martillo's article reads:

>Several  have  argued   that   Muslims are  no  better  Muslims   than
>Christians  are good   Christians.  Therefore, my arguments  would  be
>irrelevant.   But the fundamental  ideology is important.  Because Jim
>Crow  conflicted with  the  fundamental ideology  of American society,
>Jim Crow died in the USA.  But in  Germany several hundred  years ago,
>Martin Luther  said the synagogue should be  burned and  that the Jews
>should be gathered and murdered.  And  the Germans  eventually carried
>out these tasks.

I think it's important to note that "eventually" here means "after about
450 years".  I think Luther's attitude toward Jews was ugly.  But though
Luther's influence was strong during the Reformation, his suggestions for
the Jews were not really taken seriously.  I think this is mainly due
to the fact that Luther did not set himself up as an authority (like the
Pope).  He emphasised *sola scriptura* as the principle authority and
put the Scriptures themselves in the hands of the common people by translating
them into their language.

Your paragraph insinuates that the German persecution of the Jews was
a direct fulfillment of Luther's mandate.  I agree that "the fundamental
ideology is important."  But I think you are mistaken in including Luther's
attitude toward Jews as part of that.  I think it was on the fringe.  If
it wasn't why did it take so long for the tasks to be carried out?  Things
were different in Germany 450 years after Luther.  In particular, the Church's
attitude toward Scripture had deviated considerably from Luther's view.

Hitler did use Luther's opinion as part of his rallying call.  But the
thing that allowed him to get away with it was the change in context.
The "fundamental ideology" of the church (not to mention society) had changed
considerably since Luther's time.  I think that was what either allowed it
to accept the fringe as fundamental or made it powerless to oppose such
acceptance effectively.

Also, I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).  Also, where do you think
Hitler got his ideas about eugenics and social Darwinism?   Was that part
of Luther's fundemental ideology?

It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
doing things.  No one (especially those sympathetic to the views of these men)
wants to admit that their ideas provided a significant influence for the
Nazis.  But the effects of ideas often go beyond the intent and foresight of
their progenitors.  Affixing blame is an irresistable temptation for many,
however.  And it is so much easier to cut through the complex web of influence
in history to draw simple lines of influence that suit the blamers purposes
better.  If the influence of these men on Nazism was not their intent, or
part of their "fundemental ideology", still less is it of Christianity.
Yet, the blamers must have a real devil and Christianity makes a nice one
in some circles.

I really doubt that Mr. Martillo has the intent that I just mentioned, but
simplistic, cause-effect statements like this one do have that cumulative,
subtile effect on others.  Where is the hate going to stop?
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (08/04/85)

> Also, I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
> compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
> men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).
> It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
> Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
> these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
> doing things.

	Nietzche wrote to his sister in 1887  . . .

	. . . You have committed one of the greatest stupidities--for
	yourself and for me!  Your association with an anti-Semitic
	cheif expresses a foreignness to my whole way of life which
	fills me again and again with meloncholy. . . . It is
	a matter of honor with me to be absolutely clean and
	unequivical in relation to anti-Semitism, namely *opposed*
	to it, as I am in my writings.  I have recently been
	persecuted with letters and *Anti-Semitic Correspondence
	Sheets.*  My disgust with this party (wich would like the
	benefit of my name only too well!) is as pronounced as
	possible, but the relation to Forster [Nietzche's sister's
	husband], as well as the afteraffects of my former publisher,
	the anti-Semitic Schmeitzer, always brings this disagreeable
	party back to the idea that I must belong to them after all . . .
	It arouses mistrust against my character, as if publicly
	I condemmed something which I favored secretly--and that
	I am unable to do anything against it, that the name
	Zarathustra is used in every *Anti-Semitic Correspondence
	Sheet*, has almost made me sick several times.

			The Portable Nietzche
			ed. Walter Kaufman
			p. 456-457

	The last thing Nietzche wrote was a letter to his friend
Overbeck:

	To friend Overbeck and wife.  Although you have so far
	demonstrated little faith in my ability to pay, I hope to
	yet demonstrate that I am someone who pays his debts--for
	example, to you, I am just having all anti-Semites shot.

			Dionysus

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software
109 Torrey Pine Terrace
Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060

jho@ihu1m.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (08/04/85)

In a recent article Yakim Martillo  described the persecution of
minorities under Arab/Islamic rule.  The forgotten Jewish refugees,
who fled from Arab persecution to Israel, provide a clear example
of what could happen to minorities under Arab rule in the 20th century.
To illustrate  my point, I am posting a letter sent to the Ann Arbor News
on 4/13/75 (with the permission of the author) by Aviva Mutchnick.
Aviva came to Israel as an infant refugee from Iraq.
This is her story:
                     ----------------

		REFUGEES FROM ARAB STATES

    My family can claim continuing residence in Bagdad, Iraq for nearly
2,500 years.  In all that time we were considered strangers, people in
exile.  We were the Jews of Israel taken into captivity by the Babylonians
some 600 years before the birth of Christ.

    The people of Bagdad have referred to their city as the "Tray of
Gold," but a popular Jewish lyric depicts Bagdad as a "Tray of Gold...
with a scorpion in it."  The Oriental Jews withstood many persecutions
and endured the periodic decimations of pogroms.

    My family recalls the pogrom of 1941 when a massacre of Iraqi Jews
followed the failure of the Arabs to oust out the British from an alliance
with Nazi Germany.  The rebels vented their rage on the Jewish Quarter.
Many dozens of Jewish lives were terminated.

    The situation of Iraqi Jews deteriorated when Israel was proclaimed
a sovereign state in 1948.  Even though Jews were considered second class
non citizens, they were not allowed to emigrate.  Those who attempted to
flee were caught and hanged in the public square.

    Iraqi Jews were finally allowed to depart in 1951, but were not
premitted to take any possessions except the clothing on their backs.
These hapless 125,000 victims were accepted by Israel with the full
realization the economic hardships would effect the fledgling nation.
Refugees were sheltered in tents and shacks.  Food stamps were employed
to distribute the limited quantities of food.  As a consequence, rationing
was instituted for the entire country in order to provide the Jewish
refugees from Arab states.

    My family, like many others with a large number of children, was
given a tent with canvas sleeping cots.  This was to be our home for
eight years.

    Pneumonia was common amongst the children as their meager clothing
provided unsuitable for the wet winter weather.  Makeshift barracks,
unheated, served as schools.  The low protein and high starch diet
lowered resistance to infection....

    Within two decades, the situation changed.  All refugee camps
disappeared as the former Oriental Jews were assimilated into the fabric
of the new Israeli society.  Problems remain, inequities occur, but all
Israelis are geared to sacrifice for the common good.

    Not all Jews were fortunate to leave Iraq of for that matter, Syria.
A small number maintained their protestations of loyalty to the Iraqi
governments.  Their fate has subsequently proved horrendous as they are
now captives of repressive governments.  Loyal, though they might claim
to be, saboteurs and the fifth columnists they have been declared.

    Many Jews were under house arrest for years, were condemned in
kangaroo courts for treason and sentenced to death.  How ludicrous the
charges, how awful the spectacle of their motionless bodies in the
hangmam's noose in the square of Bagdad....in the presence of jubilant
and cheering Iraqi Arabs.

    In Israel the refugees from Arab States now control their own fate.
They are no longer a repressed minority subject to the excesses of
tyrannical Arab governments.

    How ironic that Arab refugees from Israel were placed in detention
camps by there brethren.  How regrettable that they were denied the basic
human rights of other Arab citizens in the host countries.

    Israel has succeeded to well with her refugees as she responded out
of need and deep love.  The ingathering of repressed Jews continues.

					Aviva Mutchnick
			----------------
--
Yosi Hoshen, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois,  Mail: ihnp4!ihu1m!jho

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/06/85)

> Hitler did use Luther's opinion as part of his rallying call.  ...
>
> I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
> compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
> men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).  Also, where do you think
> Hitler got his ideas about eugenics and social Darwinism?   Was that part
> of Luther's fundemental ideology?
>
> It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
> Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
> these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
> doing things.  No one (especially those sympathetic to the views of these men)
> wants to admit that their ideas provided a significant influence for the
> Nazis.  But the effects of ideas often go beyond the intent and foresight of
> their progenitors. [DUBUC]

Thus, by the same reasoning, we should belittle mathematics and science,
because THEIR usage leads to heinous weapons in the hands of people who
believe in notions like nationalistic superiority, race hatred, etc.
Of course, those other notions were just a minor influence on the
warmongers.  Clearly it was the mathematics and science that was the most
evil part of their thinking.

> If the influence of these men on Nazism was not their intent, or
> part of their "fundemental ideology", still less is it of Christianity.

Was this Martin Luther person you quoted, who suggested the burning of
the synagogues, doing so out of his "fundamental ideology", and that of
today's Christians (many of whom use the name Lutheran [???])?

> Yet, the blamers must have a real devil and Christianity makes a nice one
> in some circles.

Given what Mr. Luther himself said, I can see why.  Can you explain why
the other side of the coin might be presented similarly as a devil?
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (08/07/85)

Why are Camus & Sartre mentioned as sources of nazi ideology or ideas
for hitler's writings or speeches?  Simple chronology makes it nearly
impossible.

hitler's "My Struggle" (Mein Kampf) was published in the 1920s; nazi
ideology was fully formed by the time they assumed power.  Sartre
studied with Heidegger in 1938 for a year or so.  Nearly all Sartre's
& Camus' writings date from the 1940s on.  Only some unpolitical
philosophical essays (Sartre) & juvenilia & reviews (Camus) were
written in the 1930s.

Maybe Heidegger is the source intended: an ex-Jesuit whose works on
metaphysics are seminal for 20th century existentialism, Martin Heidegger
joined the nazi party in 1933 and was nazi rector of the University
of Freiburg from 1933-1936.  But Heidegger's abstruse & obscure essays
supply no political ideas; only his nazi party affiliation & public
pronouncements as a nazi official could have provided any fodder for
hitler.

						Ron Rizzo

mokhtar@ubc-vision.UUCP (Farzin Mokhtarian) (08/08/85)

------------------------------
After reading a long article on islam by Mr. Martillo, one who is not "disposed"
to believing him might feel "overwhelmed" by all of his "facts" and obscure
"references" that he uses to "prove" whatever point he chooses to make and
what's more:
you are expected to understand his profound hatred for the whole of islam and
all muslims because some of his ancestors suffered at the hands of a group of
muslims. After all, who wants to argue with a guy whose family has a long
history of being oppressed? Who wants to tell him that his hatred for all
muslims is unjustified and unfair? That would be equivalent to "taking sides"
with the "other side".

But if one digs thru his "facts", one finds nothing more than quotes from a
carefully picked bunch of extremists who can be found in just about any culture
and any religion. How about if I give you a horrible picture of christianity
by giving you a nightmarish picture of the dark ages, the holly wars, the
popes who controlled the kings, the witch-burning ... . History will give me
all the "facts" I need. That will only give a picture of the "past" of
christianity. Complete that with a picture of the "present" of christianity
by a few examples given to us by the likes of Falwell. True, he doesn't have
"obvious" political power like Khomeini yet. Not yet.

But he doesn't just hate those who oppressed jews. His hatred is very calculated
and very pointed. He doesn't hate christians who have far excelled muslims in
jew suppression (if numbers are important at all). But ofcourse, his family
was in Libya. He speaks from experience. But even those jews who do have the
experience of living thru Hitler's Germany only blame Hitler and a few select
people around him. The nation which carried out his horrible plans suddenly
gets back its innocence once the terrible leaders are gone and their culture
becomes a much nicer culture.

Obviously Mr. Martillo wants peace in the middle east. He just doesn't believe
that muslims and muslim culture are worthy enough to support peace. After all,
how can you lay the foundations of peace with some barbaric states? Aren't his
numerous, long articles intended to make this point clear? If that is so, why
don't we stop analyzing the other side's beliefs and start talking about the
"actions" that each side (state of  israel  and  arab states around it) have
taken towards peace in the middle east?

  Farzin Mokhtarian
  ubc-vision!mokhtar

"We taught you, because you already knew."

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (08/08/85)

>Why are Camus & Sartre mentioned as sources of nazi ideology or ideas
>for hitler's writings or speeches?  Simple chronology makes it nearly
>impossible.

>hitler's "My Struggle" (Mein Kampf) was published in the 1920s; nazi
>ideology was fully formed by the time they assumed power.  Sartre
>studied with Heidegger in 1938 for a year or so.  Nearly all Sartre's
>& Camus' writings date from the 1940s on.  Only some unpolitical
>philosophical essays (Sartre) & juvenilia & reviews (Camus) were
>written in the 1930s.

>						Ron Rizzo

I mentioned Nietzsche as the primary influence.  Camus and Sartre were
secondary.  It's true that their part as sources is questionable.  But
the matter of influence isn't only a question of primary sources.  There
is also the aspect of support: what provided fuel for the fire once
it has started or reflected conditions of the time that allowed Nazi
ideology to bloom and hold sway?  Hitler killed himself in April 1945.
I would mark that as the end of the Third Reich.

The reason I mentioned Camus and Sartre was because of Nietzsche's influence
on them and that some of their philosophical ideas about the meaninglessness,
purposelessness and futility of life were in print during the late 30's and
early 40's (although they weren't translated into english until after wwII).
The extent of help these ideas gave the Nazi's may be debated, but their
usefullness as a reflection of the intellectual mood of the times is on
more solid ground, I think.  Ideas don't have to be expressly political
to influence political action.  That's part of the "fundamental ideology"
thing that Mr. Martillo was talking about.

Anyway, some of the works that were "floating around" were:

Camus:
	L'etranger (The Stranger) 1942
	Le myth de Sisyphe   (The Myth of Sysphus [sp?]) 1943
	Caligula (a play, wasn't published until 1945 but was
	    written by Camus in 1938)

Sartre:
	La Nausee  (Nausea) 1938
	L'Etre et le neant  (Being and Nothingness) 1943

It's easy to see where the view of humanity reflected in these works
could justify (apart from the authors intentions) the idea that human
life is of no more significance than inanimate matter.  If you believe
that, then how you treat humans is left up to asthetics.  For folks like
Hitler and Mengele that apparently wasn't as formidable an obstruction
as it was for Camus and Sartre themselves.

--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/09/85)

In article <5712@cbscc.UUCP> pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) writes:

>The reason I mentioned Camus and Sartre was because of Nietzsche's influence
>on them and that some of their philosophical ideas about the meaninglessness,
>purposelessness and futility of life were in print during the late 30's and
>early 40's (although they weren't translated into english until after wwII).
>The extent of help these ideas gave the Nazi's may be debated, but their
>usefullness as a reflection of the intellectual mood of the times is on
>more solid ground, I think.  Ideas don't have to be expressly political
>to influence political action.
>It's easy to see where the view of humanity reflected in these works
>could justify (apart from the authors intentions) the idea that human
>life is of no more significance than inanimate matter.

This is so far out of whack that it hardly merits a response, but
such a slur on these two great writers should be answered.  The views
expressed above recall the attitude of 18th century traditionalists
toward Voltaire, who was blamed for the evils of the French
Revolution.

Persons who believe that life is meaningless and futile do not expend
great energies in political activism and in the writing of literary
and philosophical works, as these two men did.  Please read *The
Plague* (*La Peste* in French) if you think that Camus's writings
reflect the idea that human life is insignificant and pointless.

Sartre was a moralist above all.  The concepts of "bad faith" and
moral responsibility play a major role in his philosophical works,
and he gave his passionate support to many political causes, which
often brought him into conflict with established institutions.  In
order to avoid too close an identification with the powers that be he
rejected membership in the French Academy, the Legion d'Honneur, and
the Nobel Prize.  For a while he was a supporter (but not a member)
of the French Communist Party, but he broke with it later over
Hungary, Algeria, and the events of May 1968, after which he became
something of a Maoist/libertarian (?).  For his views on
anti-Semitism see his 1948 work *Portrait of an Anti-Semite*, a
psychological study.  His funeral in 1980 was attended by tens of
thousands of people, while tributes came in from all over the world.
Why?  Because he revealed the meaninglessness of life?  I doubt it.

Whatever your opinion of the political and philosophical views of
Camus and Sartre, the idea of linking them in any way with the Third
Reich is totally absurd.

Some of the stuff I read in net.politics these days is just amazin'.
Doesn't anyone read books anymore?

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (08/12/85)

In article <539@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>> Also, I think Luther's opinion played a relatively minor part with Hitler
>> compared to Nietzsche, for example (either directly, or indirectly through
>> men like Albert Camus and Jean Paul Sartre).
>> It is generally argued that the ideas of people like Nietzsche, Camus,
>> Sartre and Darwin were selectively applied or twisted by Hitler.  Indeed,
>> these men did, or probably would have, strongly opposed the Nazi way of
>> doing things.
>
>	Nietzche wrote to his sister in 1887  . . .

And then comes lots of liberalish Nietzsche quotes, against Anti-Semitism,
German nationalism, etc..  None of these quotes can wipe away that there
were enough ambiguities in Nietzsche about supermen and power and dumb
cowlike masses to permit fascists to easily abuse Nietzsche whenever they
found it convenient.

How did Camus and Sartre get on a list of people influencing Hitler?

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (08/15/85)

Sartre & Camus were active in the anti-nazi resistance.  Sartre in his
opinions & philosophical views was a rigorous moralist.  It's possible
to make a case that "existentialism" as exemplified by Sartre, Camus &
others is the continuation of European humanism.  At any rate, it's
bizarre to attribute any atmosphere of inhumanity to these writers in
particular.

Nietzsche influenced an entire generation or two, including people of
all political orientations: eg, Hannah Arendt, the liberal "humanist"
historian of totalitarianism, Reinhold Niebuhr, one of the most impor-
tant Protestant theologians of this century, etc.

Paul Dubuc's claims make no sense in the light of even a rudimentary
knowledge of 20th century cultural history.

					Regards,
					Ron Rizzo