[net.politics] Eliminating the Executive Branch

In article <7800377@inmet.UUCP> nrh@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Charles: as with the discussion of consumer testing agencies, you seem
>to have never heard of the private agencies that already accomplish the
>things you think must be done by government.  Netnews makes people sound
>nastier than they mean to be (some study at CMU tends to confirm this,
>I'm told) so please don't take the following advice unkindly: Please try
>to consider what private alternatives exist before arguing that
>something must be done by government.  A surprising (and to me,
>heartening) number of things most folks feel must be done by government
>are done quietly and efficiently by private organizations.

I don't think you understand the nature of my concerns.  I have no problems
per se with a private post office, or with any of a host of proposals.  But
using UPS or UL or Consumer's Union as examples has serious pitfalls, since
all of these facilities exist in an environment where there are governmental
agencies to pick up the business that these organizations cannot or will not
take on.  It simply doesn't follow that, in the absence of such agencies,
private corporations will fill the void.  Perhaps they will, but I think it's
likely that some business currently handled by the government would not be
picked up.

In the case of private corporations picking up enforcement duties, I get
the strong impression that people simply don't care that such a system
would perpetuate the current situation which enourmously favors those
with money.  When justice is something you buy, it is hard for me to
imagine that any but the rich will have justice.

Charley Wingate