[net.politics] Thoughts on..

jeff@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (01/01/70)

> >1. I bet Castro doesn't go out without his security (even in a nation where
> >   private ownership of guns -all guns- is banned). (here come the flames!!)
>
> The fact that Castro can and does wander around more or less alone was a
> point made by Dan Rather in one of his segments on Cuba a few months ago.

security --
For an entertaining view of this same point, check the book "With Fidel",
Frank Mankiewicz (sp?) and Kirby Jones' account of their interview-
tour in the early seventies. As I recall, Fidel met them at their
hotel in a single lone jeep: no escort or bodyguard. When there
turned out to be one more visitor than anticipated, Fidel left his
driver at the hotel, and drove the visitors around Havana himself!

private guns --
    [Source:
The following is based on conversations with people, both here and
Latin America, who have travelled in Cuba. One whom I know well
speaks fluent spanish and travelled without government escorts.
Does anybody out there have print sources available, one way or
another?]

    Private ownership of guns seems to be very far from banned.
Travellers to Cuba are unanimous on this point: everybody is armed,
or at least owns personal weapons and is trained in their use.
The only unarmed people are ... ta da ... the police; they carry only
clubs, and are generally older people, more like our security guards
than our police.
--
	Dr Memory
	...{amd,cbosgd,ihnp4}!qubix!jdb

bill@persci.UUCP (08/13/85)

In article <1652@dciem.UUCP> mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:
>Interesting that Castro can wander around among crowds of his
>people, and Reagan can't.  Could Baptista?
>Martin Taylor
>{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt
>{uw-beaver,qucis,watmath}!utcsri!dciem!mmt

1. I bet Castro doesn't go out without his security (even in a nation where
   private ownership of guns -all guns- is banned). (here come the flames!!)

2. Ever think of what might happen to you down there if you shot Castro?
   Now think of happens to you in the US. Some difference, huh?

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (08/18/85)

>2. Ever think of what might happen to you down there if you shot Castro?

You would get shot, probably after a trial, but perhaps earlier.

>   Now think of happens to you in the US. Some difference, huh?

You would get shot, probably after a trial, but perhaps earlier.
(Think of Lee Harvey Oswald).

What's that got to do with the relative freedom of the leaders to
walk around among their people?  As for:

>1. I bet Castro doesn't go out without his security (even in a nation where
>   private ownership of guns -all guns- is banned). (here come the flames!!)

The fact that Castro can and does wander around more or less alone was a
point made by Dan Rather in one of his segments on Cuba a few months ago.
(I know -- you think he's a KGB agent, don't you?)

Another place were leaders can and do wander around alone is in West Germany.
I was myself in a beerhall/restaurant in Munich when Franz Josef Strauss
was wandering around glad-handing just after he won a big election victory.
His party left, and if there were security men around, they were very
un-evident.  He joined several tables for a swig of beer, and spoke to us
as well (but only in German).