[net.politics] Missing Children

emil@rochester.UUCP (08/13/85)

From: Emil Rainero  <emil>

Does anyone have any figures on the number of missing children each year?
I saw a lot of trailer trucks with pictures of missing children.  I also
see pictures on milk cartons and newspapers.  Does anyone know what percentage
of the missing are runaway/kidnapped/killed/etc?  I thought of a fairly simple
(read costly) way of finding some of the missing children.  If a means of child
identification (finger prints?, foot prints, retina, whatever) was developed,
having schools send in all new students identification to some place
(FBI, Police, kidnapping is a federal offense!!!),  a lot might be found.

Sure it requires money, what doesn't.  If we can check for criminals we can
check for kids. After all, which is more important.

	Emil Rainero
	UUCP:	(..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!emil)
	ARPA:	emil@rochester.arpa
	USmail:	Emil Rainero, Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627.
	Phone:  Office: (716) 275-5365   Home: (716) 424-5016

alonso@princeton.UUCP (Rafael Alonso) (08/16/85)

> From: Emil Rainero  <emil>
> Does anyone have any figures on the number of missing children each year?

From U.S. News and World Report (8/19/85):
Statistics are aproximate.

Missing children: 1.1 - 1.5 million per year
Runaways (between 13 and 19 years old): ~90% of all missing children
Runaways returning home voluntarily within a week: 70%
Kidnapped by noncustodial parent: 100,000 per year
Kidnapped by nonfamily members: 4,000 - 7,000 per year
Kidnapped by total strangers: ~1,000 per year
Long term missing:	200,000

Other points made in the article:
- Children abducted by strangers are seldom recovered alive after 48 hours.
- Trailways will give free tickets to returning runaways.
- Many of the children abducted by a parent are abused by that parent.

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (08/21/85)

In article <1089@princeton.UUCP> alonso@princeton.UUCP (Rafael Alonso) writes:
>> From: Emil Rainero  <emil>
>> Does anyone have any figures on the number of missing children each year?
>
>From U.S. News and World Report (8/19/85):
>Statistics are aproximate.
>
>Missing children: 1.1 - 1.5 million per year
>Runaways (between 13 and 19 years old): ~90% of all missing children
>Runaways returning home voluntarily within a week: 70%
>Kidnapped by noncustodial parent: 100,000 per year
>Kidnapped by nonfamily members: 4,000 - 7,000 per year
>Kidnapped by total strangers: ~1,000 per year
>Long term missing:	200,000
>
>Other points made in the article:
>- Children abducted by strangers are seldom recovered alive after 48 hours.
>- Trailways will give free tickets to returning runaways.
>- Many of the children abducted by a parent are abused by that parent.

While concern for missing children is never inappropriate, I want to
point out that perhaps this, like the national hysteria over child
care center sexual abuse, is becoming a bit of a fad crisis.

The problem, of course, is one of jumbled an misapplied statistics.
If your local library has a newspaper morgue, look up the May 12
Denver Post, where Louis Kilzer writes :

	"Although Colorado parents are waiting in line to have their children
	fingerprinted and kids across the state are being taught the
	`danger of strangers,` law enforcement officials say they can
	find no evidence of widespread abductions in Colorado.

	In fact, the actual cases are so rare that some officials believe
	only a handful happen in the state each year.  At the Colorado
	Bureau of Investigation`s crime information center,  director
	Gray Buckley could not name more than three cases in the state
	where authorities believe missing children were kidnapped by
	strangers.  Ninety five percent of the missing children were
	runaways, he estimated...

	At first glance, Denver would appear to be a dangerous place
	for children.  There were 1,579 missing children reports filed
	last year.  Colorado appears equally threatening.  The Colorado
	Bureau of Investigation recorded 14,900 children as missing
	last year.

	But when officials are asked about the numbers, they tell a story
	of inflated and misunderstood figures....[quotes from law enforcement
 	people saying they don`t know of hardly any cases]...

	Why then the huge figures? Primarily, it is the way the records
	are kept.

	First, the missing children figures include cases of suspected
	runaways...which make up 90 to 99% of the total.  Indeed, some
	don`t return home and can meet harm on the street.  They pose a
	real problem for society. However...9 out of 10 return home, most
	within a few days.

	Another problem is that the state reports contain numerous cases of
	chronic, repeat runaways....Even though it is the same child running
	away, each time he or she leaves, it is counted as a separate case
	in the state`s computer...

	The result: Since 1965, the CBI [Colorado Bureau of Investigation]
	has records of 887 unsolved missing children cases in Colorado.  The
	agency believes that 95% of those are suspected runaways. (1)

Also, in the same issue of the Denver Post, Diana Griego and Louis Kilzer
point out that, according to FBI reports, there are fewer than 100 active
cases nationwide of children taken by strangers.  The article quotes some
of the more wild claims made by so-called childrens groups and advocates:
Child Find quoted a figure of 50,000 children abducted by strangers, though
Carolyn Zogg, the associate director of Child Find admitted the figure
was "pulled out of a hat."

Senator Paul Simon, D-Ill in a letter to
fellow members of Congress said that "150,000 or more [children] are
taken by estranged parents, thousands of others are abducted by strangers
who want children for prostitution, child pornography or other
exploitative purpose. Some 4,000 are later found dead..."

Those deaths would be four times the number of all homicides committed
against children under 15 in the United States.(2)

My contacts with the SBI (State Bureau of Investigation) in
North Carolina and discussions with other law enforcement
officials indicate that the low numbers for Colorado are very
similar to ours in North Carolina. Ostensibly, a number of
the missing children and adults will die and never be found.
I talked to Dr. Page Hudson, Chief Medical Examiner for North
Carolina and a member of the Missing Children Program Committee of the
College of American Pathologists, and we could only come up with three
or four cases of bodies of unidentified children which had come
under our jurisdiction in the past 8 or 10 years which had stayed
unidentified for a long period of time. North Carolina is about the
10th most populous state in the union, and our office investigates
essentially all deaths outside of hospitals (and many in hospitals)
which occur in the state.

Still, any lost child is a tragedy, and because of the low
numbers, the large distances and jumbled
jurisdictions involved in looking for and identifying missing children.
A national center for clearing data is necessary, and thanks to the
efforts of Sens Orin Hatch (R-Utah), Strom Thurmond (R-SC), Bill Bradley
(D-NJ), Paula Hawkins (R-Fla), Arlen Specter (R-Pa), and Rep
Paul Simon (D-Ill), the Missing Children`s Act of 1982 was passed
which allowed local agencies to use the FBI National Crime
Information Center (NCIC) Unidentified and Missing Person Files,
which had been previously established in 1975.(3)  The College of
American Pathologists has also established a program within the
pathology community to coordinate , provide training for, and obtain
meaningful data from physicians, and assist families and law enforcement
personnel in gathering data for inclusion in the NCIC files.(4)

As of 1/01/85, there were 757 total cases of unidentified people,
755 deceased non-catastrophe, 1 deceased catastrophe, 1 living.
Of these, 64 died due to accident (8.5%), 333 homicide (44.0%),
27 natural causes (3.6%), 27 suicide (3.6), 306 unknown (40.4).
98 bodies were found nationwide in 1984. (5) Frankly, from
reading the minutes, I can't tell how many of these are children.

There are 80 entrants in the National Child Safety Council Abducted Children
Directory. The National Child Safety Council is a non-profit
organization with also acts as a private clearing house, and is
based in Jackson, Michigan. (6)

I would suggest that anyone who has serious questions about
the matter either write or call the National Center for
Missing and Exploited Children.  This is a clearing house for
information about missing children which works closely with
the US Department of Justice. It's address is:

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
1835 K Street N.W.
Suite 700
Washington, D.C. 20006

J. Howell is the executive director of the outfit, and has a pretty
good rep in the business. I don't have their phone number handy, but
I know that they would love to answer questions from interested
citizens.

The National Child Safety Council is at
P.O. Box 986
Jackson, Michigan

They have a hotline for people who can identify a missing child
at 1-800-843-5678.   Their main number is (202) 634-9821.
They would probably be willing to answer questions as well.

The state law enforcement agency for your state (ususally called the
NAME OF STATE Bureau of Investigation) is also a good source for
data, and they ususally have public relations people  whose job
is to field these kinds of questions. Its usually a lot more fun
to get asked a question by a citizen than by the press, since
you don't have to be on your guard as much.