[net.politics] Our 51st state?

black@pundit.DEC (DON BLACK DTN 261-2739 MS: NIO/N13 LOC: POLE C6) (08/15/85)

>	>  After all, there are  approximately 40 million Jews worldwide.
[Don Black]

>		A standard claim of those who assert the holocaust never
>		existed.  Nobody has ever been able to find 26.5 million
>		of those Jews.  [Oaf]

     OK, fine.  How many Jews are there in the world today?  According to this,
then, there are only 13.5 million Jews.  Somehow, this doesn't jive.  According
to a 1980 census, there were 5,781,000 Jews in the United States, or about
2.5% of the population.  This calculates to approximately 7,719,000 (+ -) Jews
in the rest of the world, including Israel.  If there really are only 13.5
million total, as your figure indicates, why, then, is the US government such a
strong supporter of the Israeli?  Why is the Isreali State being given such a
disproportionate amount of foriegn aid, loans, and outright grants?  It would
make far more sense to side with a billion Moslems and a billion Christians.

     I maintain that this is a perfect case of the tail wagging the dog.

     What's next?  Will Israeli want admission to the Union?

     --Don Black

scott@SCIRTP.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) (08/19/85)

>      OK, fine.  How many Jews are there in the world today?  According to this,
> then, there are only 13.5 million Jews.  Somehow, this doesn't jive.  According
> to a 1980 census, there were 5,781,000 Jews in the United States, or about
> 2.5% of the population.  This calculates to approximately 7,719,000 (+ -) Jews
> in the rest of the world, including Israel.  If there really are only 13.5
> million total, as your figure indicates, why, then, is the US government such a
> strong supporter of the Israeli?  Why is the Isreali State being given such a
> disproportionate amount of foriegn aid, loans, and outright grants?  It would
> make far more sense to side with a billion Moslems and a billion Christians.
                     . . .
>      What's next?  Will Israeli want admission to the Union?
>
>      --Don Black

	1) Israel is the only democracy in the region
	2) Israel is the most consistent ally the US has. Anywhere.
	3) Israeli ties , both political and otherwise, to the US are
	   *much* stronger than any other country in the region.
	4) Haifa is the only place in the Western Med. the US Sixth Fleet
	   can call home.
	5) The Arab world has been in various degrees of turmoil over the
	   years. An ally today may become an enemy next week.
	6) Since its conception, Israel has been an underdog.
	7) Israel is the firmest enclave against Soviet influence we
	   have in the region.

  	   **** Had the US not supported Israel , the entire region would
	   **** have become a set of Soviet satellites.

	8) I don't think Israel will want admission to the union.
	   But she may want her neighbors to recognise her existence.
	   Why would the US support governments so stupid that they
	   can't accept reality.

	The list could go on . and on and on ...

It never ceases to amaze me that Don Black is able
post messages . After all , a keyboard is a complicated
device to operate. I wonder if his mother helps him . . .

--
(Scott Crenshaw @ SCI Systems , Inc.)  {akgua,decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!scott

	The views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of SCI Systems,
Inc., or Monty Python.

dxa@bentley.UUCP (DR Anolick) (08/20/85)

In the year that I have been on the net, I attempted to read net.politics
twice before now.  Once when I first had access to the net, and once when
an article was cross posted to a newsgroup which I do read.  Both times I
stopped reading after a few weeks of trying to wade through all the garbage.

Well, here I am, reading again, and this time I decided to add my views and
opinions.  Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the discussions here with
enough time left over to do some real work.  Anyway, here goes:

> > >  After all, there are  approximately 40 million Jews worldwide.
> > >  [Don Black]
>
> >		A standard claim of those who assert the holocaust never
> >		existed.  Nobody has ever been able to find 26.5 million
> >		of those Jews.  [Oaf]
>
>     OK, fine.  How many Jews are there in the world today?  According to this,
> then, there are only 13.5 million Jews.  Somehow, this doesn't jive. According
> to a 1980 census, there were 5,781,000 Jews in the United States, or about
> 2.5% of the population.  This calculates to approximately 7,719,000 (+ -) Jews
> in the rest of the world, including Israel.  If there really are only 13.5
> million total, as your figure indicates, why,then, is the US government such a
> strong supporter of the Israeli?  Why is the Isreali State being given such a
> disproportionate amount of foriegn aid, loans, and outright grants?  It would
> make far more sense to side with a billion Moslems and a billion Christians.
> [Don Black again]

Since I am at work, I don't have figures available to me, but the claim of
13.5 million Jews in the world seems a lot closer to the truth than 40
million.  Mr. Black implies that since 2.5% of the U.S. is Jewish, 2.5% of
the world should be Jewish.  Does this mean that if 75% of the U.S. is white,
that 75% of the world is white?  Somehow Mr. Black's logic does not seem valid.

Using the figure above, there are 5,781,000 Jews in the U.S.  Someone please
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that there are approximately 3 million
Jews in Israel.  To round things off a little, that would leave about
4.5 million Jews in the world.  To me this is a reasonable figure.  Especially
when you consider that most European Jews where either murdered or displaced
by the holocaust, there are very few Jews in Oriental nations, and most
Jews living in Arab countries moved to Israel after its formation.  Therefore,
the 4.5 million figure could easily be correct.

So as Mr. Black asks, why IS the United States such a strong supporter of
Israel.  Well, to quote President Reagan, "Israel is, of course, a major
strategic asset to the United States.  When we support Israel's security
we in fact support our own."

Israel remains one of the few stable, reliable democracies in the world
upon which the U.S. can rely to uphold Western interest.  Iran and Lebanon
are good examples of the inherent instability of the mideast, but Israel
is the exception, and has been for the past 37 years.

Israel supplies the United States with a constant stream of information
on the performance of the latest U.S. weapons systems.  And Israel shares
with the U.S. intelligence on sophisticated Soviet equipment.  This vital
information is not available from any other highly reliable source.  I
imagine that the strongest supporters of Israel in our government can be
found at the pentagon.

Mr. Black raised the question as it is always raised.  Why does the U.S.
support so few Jews when there are one billion Moslems?   In which case
I ask, why do we support England, when there are so many Chinese?
Shouldn't we therefore be China's staunch ally, after all there are so
many of them.  The answer is obvious.  Allies need to have more than
just numbers to be a benefit to the U.S.  They need to be reliable and
useful.  Israel has proven to be both.
--

	Droyan				David Roy Anolick
ihnp4!bentley!{droyan|dxa}		^     ^^^ ^^

"Why are you here?"
"To fight for truth, and justice and the American Way."

shindman@utcs.UUCP (Paul Shindman) (08/21/85)

In article <3666@decwrl.UUCP> black@pundit.DEC (DON BLACK) writes:
>  It would
>make far more sense to side with a billion Moslems and a billion Christians.

Well, here we have more proof that Don Black is pro-communist. It is
pretty clear in the above statement that he would rather have the US
support communist and fascist regimes than support the only democratic
country in that region. Not to mention that the one democratic country is
allied with the US and serves as a mediteranean base for the 6th(?) fleet.

Such a firm anti-democratic stand used to be called "un-american".
--
Paul Shindman, U of T Computing Services, Toronto (416) 978-6878