[net.politics] How Don Black gets his message across

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (08/19/85)

    ABSTRACT:   A  short time ago I uttered the opinion that Don Black
is  a  KGB  operative,  deliberately  uttering   partial   (2nd-level)
misinformation  in  order  that  (certain)  people  believe  the exact
opposite, hence re-misinform themselves by over-reaction.
    There  are  many  impressive  things about Mr. Black's methods and
personality, not least of which is his ability to bull ahead and state
his case with scarcely diminished effectiveness, even when exposed.  A
very hard man to bring down.

			      THE CHARGE
<<    	    I happen to think you're a KGB agent,  hired  to  spread >>
<<	second-level  disinformation  under  guise of a Klansman and >>
<<	neo-Nazi.  Said disinformation, when exposed, will  lead  to >>
<<	more favorable perceptions of Soviet intentions...           >>
						[Oded Feingold]

			 A SAMPLE PROVOCATION
>>	I  see  the  Communists  had  a  big  parade  in  Washington
>>	yesterday (Monday, 12 August).  Mayor Koch was there,  Jesse
>>	Jackson  was  there,  Coretta  Scott King was there---what a
>>	crowd!
						[Don Black]

		       THE INEVITABLE RESPONSE
>	Mr.  Black,  why  is  everything a communist plot? You sound
>	like the little boy crying wolf. If this is a communist plot
>	submit  evidence. Remember what happened when the little boy
>	cried wolf too many times? I AM AFRAID THAT  DUE  TO  PEOPLE
>	FROTHING  AT  THE MOUTH OVER COMMIES UNDER EVERY TABLE I CAN
>	NO LONGER TAKE CLAIMS OF COMMUNIST THREAT  SERIOUSLY.  Quite
>	frankly there is so much disinformation spread by right-wing
>	fanatics that the truth can't be discerned.
					[Stephen(?) Kurtzman]
					(Caps mine -- oaf)

			    THE CONCLUSION
    Mr. Black's propaganda really works!  How many people quietly  get
more  cynical  about "commie plots" because of his postings, and don't
post their feelings?  True, not EVERYthing is a Soviet plot,  but  the
diminished  watchfulness  Mr.  Black engenders is self-delusionary and
dangerous.  Consider:  His selected audience includes people  creating
and possessing technical information, both military and industrial.
    By the way, be careful how you define "right-wing  fanatics,"  Mr.
Kurtzman.  Some are not what they appear to be.

			      SIDELIGHTS
>	Lastly, your implication that Koch, Coretta Scott King,  and
>	Jesse Jackson are communists is beneath contempt.
    In a sense, Mr. Kurtzman, Comrade Black is correct:  Consider the
following news item, regarding Nelson Mandela's daughter:

   	     Her father, commander  in  chief  of  an  armed
	  political  wing  of the African National Congress,
	  is serving a life sentence for  treason.   _Under_
	  _South_  _African_ _law_, any organized opposition
	  to the system of segregation known as apartheid IS
	  DEFINED AS COMMUNIST and therefore treasonous.
					UPI (8/17/85)
					Caps mine -- oaf
    Where's  the  logic  here,  beside  invoking bugbears?  With every
passing day, by dint of tireless Soviet  proselytizing  and  frank  US
hostility,  the  ANC  is  more  influenced by the SU.  Eventually, the
Marxists will dominate the ANC, and when they take over South  Africa,
it  will  be solidly in the Soviet camp.  Black's (and the rest of the
KGB's) long-range goal is to make sure the ANC has  time  to  "mature"
and  "resolve  internal  contradictions" to become a true "vanguard of
the dictatorship of the proletariat."  If  the  US  changed  tack  and
supported  them  they  might  reach  power  before  being sufficiently
Sovietized.  Hence this obstructionism.  [Speculate on Jesse Helms for
an instant -- now THERE's a dupe.]
    By tarring Koch, King, and Jackson with the Communist  brush,  Don
Black  intends  to  provoke the same abreaction to the concept of such
conspiracies, the smug complacency that if decent people  support  the
ANC,  and  they're  called  commies  by  the likes of himself, clearly
neither they nor the people they're trying to help could have anything
to  do  with  the  SU.  He's setting us up for a nasty surprise, five,
ten, twenty years down the road.  He's neither foolish nor  impatient.
Soviet  operatives  are carefully selected, and their leaders consider
the long haul.  Mr.  Black's smear is not "beneath  contempt,"  it  is
merely deliberately, cleverly, extremely irritating.  If it isn't true
now, he'll make sure it becomes so later.

>	Why didn't you say that these people were  calling  for  the
>	government  of  South  Africa  to adopt the principles which
>	Thomas Jefferson called self-evident?  (Remember?  "We  hold
>	these truths to be self-evident ...).
    In light of previous revelations, need you ask?
--

Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139
OAF%OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA   {harvard, ihnp4!mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf   617-253-8598

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (08/23/85)

In article <667@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:
>    In a sense, Mr. Kurtzman, Comrade Black is correct:  Consider the
>following news item, regarding Nelson Mandela's daughter:
>
>   	     Her father, commander  in  chief  of  an  armed
>	  political  wing  of the African National Congress,
>	  is serving a life sentence for  treason.   _Under_
>	  _South_  _African_ _law_, any organized opposition
>	  to the system of segregation known as apartheid IS
>	  DEFINED AS COMMUNIST and therefore treasonous.
>					UPI (8/17/85)
>					Caps mine -- oaf
Careful now (did I hear the word misinformation?).  Under the above
definition the official opposition party in South Africa (the Progressive
Federal Party) is communist.  While I agree that some of them have been
called commies by the government (as some Democrats have been called
by some Republicans), IN NO WAY does ANY South African law states that
any organized opposition to apartheid is communist.  (Yes I know you
did not say it, but it still remains a blatent lie.)

>                                                       Eventually, the
>Marxists will dominate the ANC,

I am not so sure about the "eventually".  I think they already do - at
least if judged by the literature they distribute in South Africa
(which is not quite the same as that which you find here -- here it has
been "cleaned up" for western consumption).