[net.politics] Proposal for starting net.peace

jpd@kepler.UUCP (John Donovan) (08/29/85)

I'd like to propose starting a peace net on usenet, to be called
(not surprisingly) net.peace.  This would be a spin-off of
net.politics, giving a forum for peace groups and assorted peaceniks
to share ideas, alert each other of coming events and activities,
and generally network together.  For groups with little power and
less money, information (and its dissemination) is critical.

As for the need from USENET's standpoint, net.politics sees a lot uf
use, but the exchange of ideas is random and not directed toward any
goal other than expressing opinions or flaming at Don Black.  If
peace.net is set up, I would like to continue my (so far local) effort
to get various peace groups to network together on a national level
via USENET.

The other critical question is: How many publicly accessible nodes
are there out there?  I get on here through my terminal at work, which
in turn uses the VAX at the WELL in Sausalito.  The WELL was set up by
the folks at the Whole Earth operation as a cheap, public access
network.  It is a fine local net; but it also is a gateway to USENET.
For non-profit groups to be able to use USENET, there would have to be
a number os such nodes around the country---and, hopefully, Europe
(replies solicited). Are there any, and where???

Looking forward to your feedback.  Thanks.

      ---John Donovan

douglas@bcsaic.UUCP (douglas schuler) (09/04/85)

I, for one, am in favor of net.peace news group.

** My opinions are not necessarily those of the Boeing Corporation. **

--
	Doug Schuler     (206) 763-5295
	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax}uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!douglas

In article <195@kepler.UUCP> jpd@kepler.UUCP (John Donovan) writes:

>I'd like to propose starting a peace net on usenet, to be called
>(not surprisingly) net.peace.  This would be a spin-off of
>net.politics, giving a forum for peace groups and assorted peaceniks
>to share ideas, alert each other of coming events and activities,
>and generally network together.  For groups with little power and
>less money, information (and its dissemination) is critical.

This sounds like a perfect candidate for a mailing list to me.  Perhaps
Mr. Donovan would like to run one?

jpd@kepler.UUCP (John Donovan) (09/12/85)

In article <640@mmintl.UUCP>, franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:

> This sounds like a perfect candidate for a mailing list to me.  Perhaps
> Mr. Donovan would like to run one?

I'd be happy to, Frank, but I am still holding out for net.peace.  I have
been sitting out the Clash of the Titans, watching for the impending
demise of Usenet as the Mongol hordes come swarming in over public
access sites.(:-)

Seriously, I think net.peace has stirred up a lot more frenetic reaction
than it deserves.  Yes, Usenet has an overload problem, and yes, new
newsgroups will contribute to it.  But does the drawbridge get drawn
starting with net.peace? I certainly hope not.

I would be happy to run a peace mailing list, but not until the
net.peace issue is settled.  I would also be happy to moderate
a version of net.peace, but only as a fallback position.
Come on, folks, how about at least a moderated net.peace?

--
----
... John Donovan, MicroPro Technical Communications