[net.politics] Changing Realities in South Africa:RE to Mutschler

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/12/85)

Gene Mutschler has repeated many familiar rightwing prejudices
about the situation in South Africa.  What is more astounding is
that he has repeated Reagan's distortions which even conservatives
admit have no relation to the facts:

> As to Reagan's statement, it is more nearly true at a factual level than
> you might think.  The SA government has eliminated many of the segregation
> features as we knew them here in the South not so long ago.  These
> consisted of separate facilities for blacks and whites at train stations,
> stores, etc.  The SA government has gotten rid of much of this 'petit
> apartheid', although it has not got rid of the more pernicious apartheid
> itself.

What difference do small changes in "petit apartheid" make when the
gran apartheid policies which do not even allow blacks *into* white
areas in the first place continue in effect?  Whites don't need
separate bathrooms for blacks to keep their "racial purity" if no
blacks are ever allowed to even enter many places.
Moreover even during segregation in the South blacks had the legal right
to vote even if actual voting was prevented by intimidation, poll taxes
and other methods.  In South Africa blacks do not even have this most
fundamental democratic right.  This is what makes ridiculous Falwell's
attack on Nobel Peace Prizewinner, Desmond Tutu, as not being an
"elected representative" of blacks. OF COURSE NOT! Blacks cannot vote!
They have NO elected representatives.
Moreover a division of Gallup from London found that 77% of blacks polled
in South Africa supported divestment- so it would seem that Desmond Tutu
represents the sentiments of blacks in South Africa far better than
Jerry Falwell, who is not black, and does not even live in South Africa.

Another prevalent rightwing fallacy is that an end to apartheid and
partipation of blacks in the government will inevitably lead to
"COMMUNISM" and the complete exclusion of whites from government.

In fact in Zimbabwe right now Ian Smith is still in the Parliament.
  tim sevener

rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Herb Scyphozoan) (09/13/85)

In article <704@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:

>In fact in Zimbabwe right now Ian Smith is still in the Parliament.
>  tim sevener

Uh huh.  And if the Rt. Hon. Mr. Mugabe's party is reelected, they
have promised to remove *all* whites from the government.

Leftist, rightist, centrist, artist, makes no difference.  For the
most part, these revolutions are the oppressed black African majority
ending years of colonial rule by European whites.  Unfortunately, the
people are now being enslaved and butchered by their own race. (Y'all
remember Uncle Idi?)