[net.politics] Nicaraguan Parallel

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/16/85)

/* Written 10:50 pm  Sep  3, 1985 by janw@inmet in inmet:net.flame */
/* ---------- "Nicaraguan Parallel" ---------- */
/* Written 11:51 pm  Aug 27, 1985 by inmet!janw in inmet:net.politics */
> >      Glad to know the Sandinista thugs were democratically elected.
> >But then , haven't you heard, so was Michael Gorbachev -- or have
> >you cancelled your subscription to Pravda ???   [ Ari Gross ]

>  ... could you please restate the (conclusive, no doubt)  his-
> torical, political, and moral justification for referring to
> the Sandanista [sic] government as "thugs"? And could you please
> review your analysis indicating the parallel between the govern-
> mental structure of the USSR and Nicaragua? [ Jim Balter (ima!jim)]

I cannot speak for Ari Gross, BUT if you ever see a country where
pre-schoolers are militarized and singing slogans in sweet unison,
you can bet your subscription to Pravda  :-)  that here is yet
another implementation of a  familiar model of government. The
country can be called the USSR, nazi Germany, or Cuba, or Ni-
caragua, and the slogans may differ, but the political structure,
the "technology of power"  varies remarkably little.  Apparently,
the model, to work at all, must hang together. Besides, the social
engineers who crafted this particular copy had their blueprints all
ready.  E.g., Nicaraguan secret police has been planned, organ-
ized, and is still run  by East German professionals, heirs to
the finest traditions of both Gestapo and the KGB.
 The word "thugs" is probably redundant here.

  -- Jan Wasilewsky
/* End of text from inmet:net.politics */
/* End of text from inmet:net.flame */

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/16/85)

/* Written  7:17 am  Sep  6, 1985 by nyssa@abnji in inmet:net.flame */
>I cannot speak for Ari Gross, BUT if you ever see a country where
>pre-schoolers are militarized and singing slogans in sweet unison,
>you can bet your subscription to Pravda  :-)  that here is yet
>another implementation of a  familiar model of government. The
>country can be called the USSR, nazi Germany, or Cuba, or Ni-
>caragua, and the slogans may differ, but the political structure,
>the "technology of power"  varies remarkably little.

I have seen a country where school children are militarized and
sing political songs in unison!  I agree that this type of
indoctrination is awful, it can distort a child's view of the
world.  What should we do about this?

Perhaps we should be working to change all these governments; but
you might say, what right do we have to interfere in a foreign
government?

The government I am thinking of isn't foreign.  Ever heard of
Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts?  "God Bless America"?  The Pledge of
allegiance?
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Maybe they'll want one of your women to experiment on, perhaps
I shall take this one to them!

-who said it, what story?  (Get the reply to me by Thursday!)

/* Written 12:49 pm  Sep  5, 1985 by st175@sdcc13 in inmet:net.flame */
In article <3900221@inmet.UUCP>, janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>   -- Jan Wasilewsky
> /* End of text from inmet:net.politics */

     Just what is this doing on net.flame?

           FLAME ON!!!!

      Put the political conversations (no matter how important) in
net.politics, or net.redundant, or net.beat.a.dead.horse, or
net.uninformed.but.want.to.spout.off, or net.unqualified.opinions,
or net.etc.etc., but not flame!!!

                              Flame a good day,

                                              Lone Stranger
                    (didda-dum didda-dum didda-dum dum dum!!)

/* End of text from inmet:net.flame */

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/16/85)

/* Written 11:00 am  Sep  9, 1985 by tw8023@pyuxii in inmet:net.flame */
Yes, Armstrong, but you do not have to join the Boy Scouts
nor are you required to sing "God Bless America".
There's the difference.
T. C. Wheeler

/* Written  3:50 pm  Sep 10, 1985 by lkk@teddy in inmet:net.flame */
In article <227@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
>Yes, Armstrong, but you do not have to join the Boy Scouts
>nor are you required to sing "God Bless America".
>There's the difference.
>T. C. Wheeler

In my elementary school, we WERE required to sing "patriotic" songs
every day.  We were also required to salute the flag.  I remember we used sing
one about the Green Berets, and how great is was to be one.  If this isn't
militaristic indoctrination, I don't know what is.

Although my parents found the idea of my joining the cub scouts somewhat
distasteful, they allowed me to do so, since it was considered almost "de
rigeure" for boys my age.  Had I not, I would have ended up a social outcast.

In the USSR, no one is forced to join the Young Pioneers.  But those who
don't do so suffer quite a bit of scorn from their peers, as well as
unfavorable offical attitudes as a result.

Please don't tell me that there is no political indoctrination in our
schools, I lived throught 6 years of it.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney
/* End of text from inmet:net.flame */

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/16/85)

 My point has apparently been missed (at least, it was not attacked ...).
It was *structural identity* of all communist - and other totalitarian -
regimes. I did not quote pre-schooler drilling as a major evil, but
as a *symptom*. The reasoning goes thus: a totalitarian state (by
definition) enlists all the resourses of society in its service.
This includes even toddlers, and by this sign you may know it.

 Brief review of responses:

 The note was not scurrilous enough for net.flame - mea culpa.
My ignorance of the net was responsible. I'm moving the sequence.

 Cub scouts are non-compulsory, non-political,
and only faintly militarized.

 "God Bless America" is not political, in the sense relevant here.
It is a non-controversial generality. Now imagine kids chanting,
say, DEATH TO DEMOCRATS; goose-stepping with wooden
machine-guns to show they are serious; and children of
Democrats, as everyone else, being obliged to join. That gives it
a different flavor, doesn't it ?

 As I've said, it's *only a symptom*. Other things
go with it, such as:
 - no dissent within the ruling Party;
 - secret police unchecked by any other institution
   but the Party;
 - a net of informers sufficient to report on every citizen;
 - Propaganda a major item of budget;
 - armed forces politicized;
 - a network of Party-affiliated organizations covering all
   areas of life, cradle to grave;
 - anti-government demonstrations (of course) made impossible,
   but also pro-government ones made compulsory;
 - censorship (of course) suppressing anti-regime information;
   but also *insufficiently pro-regime* information;
 - the country declared a military camp;
 - foreign connections made difficult; and so on.

P.S.  Larry Kolodney mentions the Young Pioneers in the USSR.
He is only part right: this is for a different age group (10-14);
peers couldn't care less about who joins;  but official pressure
is strong enough that everyone does. I should know; I've been one.

	Jan Wasilewsky

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (09/17/85)

	      How can you say our armed forces are not politicized?
      More of my tax dollars go to the military than anywhere else.
      I wouls say the military is very Republican.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/17/85)

> /* Written  3:50 pm  Sep 10, 1985 by lkk@teddy in inmet:net.flame */
> In article <227@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
> >Yes, Armstrong, but you do not have to join the Boy Scouts
> >nor are you required to sing "God Bless America".
> >There's the difference.
> >T. C. Wheeler
>

> In my elementary school, we WERE required to sing "patriotic" songs
> every day.  We were also required to salute the flag.  I remember we used sing
> one about the Green Berets, and how great is was to be one.  If this isn't
> militaristic indoctrination, I don't know what is.

So what?  Why not salute the flag, you are an American aren't you?
What is the problem with patriotic songs.  Do you find patriotism offensive?
Depending on which country you live in, patriotism means different things.
In this country it means supporting the freedom with which our government is
based.  Do you find freedom offensive?

> Although my parents found the idea of my joining the cub scouts somewhat
> distasteful, they allowed me to do so, since it was considered almost "de
> rigeure" for boys my age.  Had I not, I would have ended up a social outcast.

I can't believe what you are saying.  Your parents find the cub scouts distaste-
full?  Why?  I would think that parents would object to having their kids
going to geek rock concerts than to the cub scouts.

> In the USSR, no one is forced to join the Young Pioneers.  But those who
> don't do so suffer quite a bit of scorn from their peers, as well as
> unfavorable offical attitudes as a result.

Fine.  It is a good thing we don't live there isn't it.

> Please don't tell me that there is no political indoctrination in our
> schools, I lived throught 6 years of it.

You only had 6 years of education, hmmm?

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (09/18/85)

In article <7800427@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>> And could you please
>> review your analysis indicating the parallel between the govern-
>> mental structure of the USSR and Nicaragua? [ Jim Balter (ima!jim)]
>
>I cannot speak for Ari Gross, BUT if you ever see a country where
>pre-schoolers are militarized and singing slogans in sweet unison,
>you can bet your subscription to Pravda  :-)  that here is yet
>another implementation of a  familiar model of government.

Hey! When I was a little boy in public school, I was taught about how
our government was helping the Veitnamese with our neato army. This
teaching, of course, did not begin before we sang at least two slogans...

>The
>country can be called the USSR, nazi Germany, or Cuba, or Ni-
>caragua, and the slogans may differ, but the political structure,
>the "technology of power"  varies remarkably little.

I don't remember MY country being called any of those names... are you
sure the list is complete?

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

"What? With her?"

-Adam from _The_Book_of_Genesis_

raghu@rlgvax.UUCP (Raghu Raghunathan) (09/18/85)

> > In my elementary school, we WERE required to sing "patriotic" songs
> > every day.  We were also required to salute the flag.
>
> So what?  Why not salute the flag, you are an American aren't you?
> What is the problem with patriotic songs.  Do you find patriotism offensive?

	No, patriotism is not offensive as long as it comes from within.
	If it is forced from without, it is not patriotism anymore.

lkk@teddy.UUCP (09/19/85)

In article <7800435@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

> As I've said, it's *only a symptom*. Other things
>go with it, such as:
> - no dissent within the ruling Party;

Please provide evidence of no dissent within Sandanista party.

> - secret police unchecked by any other institution
>   but the Party;

This is a problem in Nicaragua.  However, you never hear of any evidence of
torture, and little evidence of other major abuses that you might expect from
a KGB-like organization.

> - a net of informers sufficient to report on every citizen;

There are informers in Nicaragua, but I know of no evidence that that
are as omnipresent as you claim.  There are also informers in this country.

> - Propaganda a major item of budget;

Sad, but true.  However, propoganda is a major item in the budget of
any nation under attack.

> - armed forces politicized;

True.  But given the circumstances of their rise to power, not surprising.

> - a network of Party-affiliated organizations covering all
>   areas of life, cradle to grave;

Evidence?

> - anti-government demonstrations (of course) made impossible,
>   but also pro-government ones made compulsory;

Untrue.  There was just recently a major protest by the leading business
group in Nicaragua.

> - censorship (of course) suppressing anti-regime information;
>   but also *insufficiently pro-regime* information;

Censorship exists, but it is not nearly on the level of Soviet or
Chinese censorship.  Many anti-government articles DO get printed (although
others don't).

> - the country declared a military camp;

Untrue.  Only those areas that are actually in the war zone are such.  There
is freedom of movement in the rest of the country.

> - foreign connections made difficult; and so on.

Untrue.  Foreigners are welcomed to travel freely in Nicaragua.

Nicaragua does show many of the signs of a Leninist state.  But it also
has much in common with pluralist societies as well.  US pressure
and agreession towards it merely gives the hardliners excuses to crack down.
--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney
(USENET) ...decvax!genrad!teddy!lkk
(INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (09/19/85)

Now here we have a certified twit saying that more of
his tax dollars go to the military than anything else.
Not so fella.  More of your tax dollars go for social
programs.  Try reading those pie charts about where
your tax dollar goes that are constantly being printed
in USA Today.  The military is Republican?  What do
we do every time we change administrations, fire all
the Republicans and hire all Democrats?  What a
dumb thing to say.
T. C. Wheeler

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (09/19/85)

> 	      How can you say our armed forces are not politicized?
>       More of my tax dollars go to the military than anywhere else.
>       I wouls say the military is very Republican.

You are happy not to know a politicized military.  You do
not have
a.  political officers assuring that other officers and soldiers
    heed to the Republican credo;
b.  military units dispersing riots, strikes etc;
c.  military affairs being secret but to the most trusted Republicans.

The way I see it, a liberal selecting military carrier is a rarity.
Plus folks who vote for more defence money are obviously more
popular amoung officer corps.  But there is still a lot of bipartisan
oversight over the military, and this makes a major difference.
That the money are waisted there, this is largely due to bipartisan
barrels of pork in the budget, but this is another story.

Piotr Berman

bottom@katadn.DEC (09/20/85)

ism780!michaelf says:

>How can you say our armed forces are not politicized? More of my tax
>dollars go to the military than anywhere else. I would say the military
>is very Republican.

Hmm.. interesting thought. However if you research the origions of the
nuclear arms race it seems that current programs are just a continuation
of programs that were begun in the late 50's at the urging and essential
blackmail of certain leading Democrats, Lyndon Johnson and Hubert
Humphrey most notably. The then Republican President (Eisenhower)
resisted their programs and challenged the studies their anti-communist
panic were based on because he did not believe that the American public
needed to or wanted to unbalance the federal budget to buy into a defense
posture that could not be relied on for anything other than revenge
after the fact. I know all about the deterrant factor, it exists I
agree. But do we or did we *need* bombs that were 100 times more
powerful than the bombs we dropeed on Japan? Probably not.  They were
the pet project of a lunitic named Edward Teller who still talks about
acceptable losses and survivability. Even the Democrats who have been
in the majority in the house most of the time must have been voting for
all of these bombs and planes or the Republicans would not have been
able to buy them for their "buddies" in the Military.

 Many Career military men are in fact, Republicans. Many are in fact
Democrats. The military is representative of the general population. It
is *NOT* politicised and cannot be as it is forbidden for *anyone*
reguardless of rank to actively participate in any form of campaigning.
See the UCMJ and any set of regs.

Dave Bottom
DEC Augusta Maine
!dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (09/21/85)

In article <37400005@ISM780.UUCP> michaelf@ISM780.UUCP writes:

>	      How can you say our armed forces are not politicized?
>      More of my tax dollars go to the military than anywhere else.
>      I wouls say the military is very Republican.

Does this mean that the military was Democratic under Carter?

Bill Oliver

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/21/85)

[responding to Larry Kolodney's response]
 Larry: thank you for actually reading before responding.
This is not always true on the net, and I am pleasantly
impressed. I did not expect to answer any more responses
on this sequence, but I'll answer yours.

I agree with you to the extent that repression in Nicaragua is not
(for now) on the Soviet, or Chinese, or Cuban scale.
 What I was arguing was that the *machinery* of repression
is in place; so that, there being no checks or balances,
it is merely a matter of *policy* when this
machinery starts working full speed.
 I was also arguing that this mechanism forms a recognizable
whole, copied from a master copy. If so, all of its
parts need not be visible for it to be recognized.
Just a little feature might be sufficient:
if it quacks like a duck, etc. ...
 True, a glaring contradiction might (in principle) be discovered
that would disprove my assumptions: my duck might
turn out to be a platipus, after all.
 However, these assumptions are based on a long
historical perspective. Other regimes with similar
attributes had also their spells of relative
mildness, and high hopes were raised, inside
and abroad; however, the "mechanisms of power"
(the term belongs to A. Avtorkhanov  whose
book under the same title I recommend) kept
being perfected and strengthened. It could not
be any different: totalitarian model of governmernt
is the most perfect way, so far invented,
for a group in power to stay in power. So the
people who had it would not have it dismantled.
For a time they kept adding improvements,
Mussolini borrowing from Lenin, and Hitler from
Mussolini, and Stalin from Hitler. By now it
is perfect and frozen.

 Before I turn to your specific points (my main
objection will always be that you are talking
policy while I am talking political structure),
let me discuss your final conclusion.
You are saying, basically, that Nicaraguan state
is now half-Leninist, and external pressures would
only give them an excuse to go the whole hog.
My objection is three-fold. First, I believe (as stated above)
that totalitarianism (like pregnancy) is binary.
Second objection is empirical: pressures (including
military ones) appear to have made the Sandinistas
much more restrained. If it works, why fix it?
Thirdly, this "excuse" argument seems to me surprisingly
naive. Is anyone, are, especially, dictators, ever
short of excuses ? Hitler had excuses for attacking Poland,
Stalin for attacking Finland. It is not excuses Ortega
is lacking.

Now for some detail:

> > - no dissent within the ruling Party;

> Please provide evidence of no dissent within Sandanista party.

I meant, of course, *open* dissent. I think the onus is on you.
Proving the absence of something is kind of hard.
I believe this item very important. If you could demonstrate
significant factionalism, spilling out into general public,
in Sandinista Party (as there was in Russia till mid-twenties,
and in Germany till summer 1934), I would revise my
estimate of Nicaragua from "totalitarian" to "incipient
totalitarian".

> > - secret police unchecked by any other institution
> >   but the Party;

> This is a problem in Nicaragua.  However, you never hear of any evidence of
> torture, and little evidence of other major abuses that you might expect from
> a KGB-like organization.

True or false, it's a matter of policy, changeable at whim.

> > - a net of informers sufficient to report on every citizen;

> There are informers in Nicaragua, but I know of no evidence that that
> are as omnipresent as you claim.  There are also informers in this country.

I've read of at least one informer per every block.

> > - Propaganda a major item of budget;

> Sad, but true.  However, propoganda is a major item in the budget of
> any nation under attack.

Nations like this are always under attack. Like Oceania in 1984.
This started long before any real attack, or threat of attack, existed.

> > - armed forces politicized;

> True.  But given the circumstances of their rise to power, not surprising.

I agree, but this does not change the significance of it. Again,
I am not discussing their intentions, but the tools at their disposal.

> > - a network of Party-affiliated organizations covering all
> >   areas of life, cradle to grave;

> Evidence?

Sketchy, but non-contradictory.
The kindergarten picture I started with, peasant cooperatives,
unions, illiteracy elimination groups, militia, all this wonderful
stuff - it is all under party leadership, isn't it ?

> > - anti-government demonstrations (of course) made impossible,
> >   but also pro-government ones made compulsory;

> Untrue.  There was just recently a major protest by the leading business
> group in Nicaragua.

Come on, leading businessmen (as long as they exist) can get away
with a lot (as they recently did in South Africa).

Show me anti-Sandinista  mass rallies like they have even in
South Africa, even in Chile. True, they are dispersed there, but
they assemble first. Not in Nicaragua. That net of informers
must be thicker, and work better, than you give them credit for.

> > - censorship (of course) suppressing anti-regime information;
> >   but also *insufficiently pro-regime* information;

> Censorship exists, but it is not nearly on the level of Soviet or
> Chinese censorship.  Many anti-government articles DO get printed (although
> others don't).

The examples of censored articles I saw were innocent news that
La Prensa could not predict would be censored. Real
anti-government stuff, they don't even try.

> > - the country declared a military camp;

> Untrue.  Only those areas that are actually in the war zone are such.  There
> is freedom of movement in the rest of the country.

I didn't mean martial law. I meant that "nation under attack",
"them vs. us"  mentality .  In Russia they always speak
of "Socialist Camp" and "Capitalist Camp",
in Nicaragua it's "Yankees, the enemies of humanity",
and all their neighbors are accomplices, too.

> > - foreign connections made difficult; and so on.

> Untrue.  Foreigners are welcomed to travel freely in Nicaragua.

*Foreigners*, maybe. What about Nicaraguans ? Foreigners are
relatively free to come to East Germany. East Germans are
shot as they scale that wall.

I've read of a woman who admitted how she had snitched with
extra zeal on the people in her block, for several months,
so they would let her visit her relatives in Guatemala.

Do you know how much a phone call costs from there to here ?
I forgot the exact figure, but it is hundreds of dollars.
________________

P.S. I am not against talking to Ortega. I am certainly not
against talking to Castro, who has done much more harm; but
he is here to stay, at least for a while. In Nicaragua,
the damage may still be undone. Toppling the Sandinistas
is infinitely more attractive than any concessions they
might make, or promise. We've seen so many lizards grow
to dragons through neglect and vacillation.

 Just think back to Petrograd, 1918. If Britain and France
(or, for that matter, Germany) had *really* intervened
(as Soviet historians always claim they did) - what
oceans of blood and suffering, and the present threat
of extinction, would the world have been spared.
Churchill was then, as usual, right.

	Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/21/85)

Correction: my reference to Avtorkhanov's
book was inexact. The English title of it is,
probably, "Technology of Power", and this
is what I meant to write. -- Jan Wasilewsky

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (09/23/85)

--
Oh boy, somebody said the magic word:

> So what?  Why not salute the flag, you are an American aren't you?
> What is the problem with patriotic songs.  Do you find patriotism
> offensive?

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." --Samuel Johnson
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/23/85)

In article <1178@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>--
>Oh boy, somebody said the magic word:
>
>> So what?  Why not salute the flag, you are an American aren't you?
>> What is the problem with patriotic songs.  Do you find patriotism
>> offensive?
>
>"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." --Samuel Johnson

"In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
refuge of a scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first."
	-- Ambrose Bierce
--
David Canzi

ACCUSE, v. t. To affirm another's guilt or unworth; most commonly as a
justification of ourselves for having wronged him.  (Ambrose Bierce)

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (09/24/85)

In article <28200092@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>The isomorphism (structural identity)
>between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia has always fascinated me.
>Here are two regimes with quite different ideologies, brought
>to power by different social groups, in two dissimilar cultures,
>yet as alike as two peas in a pod, and growing even more alike
>the longer they existed. And quite *unlike* any repressive
>regime before 1917. I see this as  one of the central
>facts of this century, and a challenge to any political
>theorist. To my mind, it disproves, for example, both
>Solzhenitsyn's explanation of Communism as something produced
>by Marxist ideology, and Richard Pipes's explanation of it as
>something flowing from a thousand years of Russian history.
>I believe totalitarianism to be an *invention*, as specific
>to the 20th century as television or atom bomb. It is a perfect
>machine for its purpose, which is to permit the group in power
>to stay in power. Once perfected, it is imported by country
>after country.

This is fine; but one must be disinformed to regard Nicaragua as
totalitarian, in my opinion.  The reasonably open and democratic
elections held last fall have no parallel in Soviet history since
1917, and are sufficient to draw a sharp distinction between the two
political systems.  Not to mention other differences.  If this is
totalitarianism, it is a strange variety indeed.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

bill@persci.UUCP (09/24/85)

In article <851@mit-vax.UUCP> csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) writes:
>Hey! When I was a little boy in public school, I was taught about how
>our government was helping the Veitnamese with our neato army. This
>teaching, of course, did not begin before we sang at least two slogans...
>>[...]
>I don't remember MY country being called any of those names... are you
>sure the list is complete?
>Charles Forsythe

Yeah. And when I was in college, about the same time, I was taught about
how evil old Uncle Sam was slaughtering millions in the name of Profit$,
and how Viet Nam would become a veritable Garden of Eden once Uncle Sam
took his nasty playthings home. This gospel, preached by instructors and
"fellow" students alike, was of course mixed with all sorts of slogans
and songs which you damned well better chant and sing and *BELIEVE*, or
be excommunicated and sentenced to hell.

The reason the USA isn't on the list, Charles, is that it doesn't belong,
no matter how much *you* think it does.
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/26/85)

/* Written  6:33 pm  Sep 23, 1985 by carnes@gargoyle in inmet:net.politics */
> >[my general observations on totalitarianism as a political invention]
> >Once perfected, it is imported by country after country.

> [Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes]
> This is fine; but one must be disinformed to regard Nicaragua as
> totalitarian, in my opinion.  The reasonably open and democratic
> elections held last fall have no parallel in Soviet history since
> 1917, and are sufficient to draw a sharp distinction between the two
> political systems.  Not to mention other differences.  If this is
> totalitarianism, it is a strange variety indeed.

My understanding of the Nicaraguan situation is that the totalitarian
machinery of power has been imported, is in place, but is not working
at full capacity, due to external constraints. I defended this position
in an argument with Larry Kolodney on net.politics. To save you search,
I'll attach an excerpt here. Larry did not, however,
make your argument about the elections, so I'll answer it now.

There are really two questions:

(1) were they "reasonably open and democratic" ?
I deny that. The cards were stacked enough so that the party in
power *could not lose*. Given that, they were willing (which is,
I agree, unusual for a full-fledged totalitarian society) to
tolerate opposition. But the opposition is impotent. It would
be dangerous only if it could ally itself (on some issues, at least)
with groups within the Sandinista party. So, to me , the
crucial question is NOT the existence of opposition outside
the Party, but *toleration of factionalism inside the party*.
I've never heard of open discord within it. I read newspapers
(it's one of my vices), and their focus on Nicaragua seems
sufficient for them  to report such events.
Your information on Nicaragua may come partially from different
sourses than mine. Without blindly undertaking to trust these sourses
(but not fully closing my mind), I would appreciate any clari-
fication of the above criterion.

(2) Such as they were, are the elections and opposition parties
unprecedented in a Soviet model of government ?

Not quite, at a certain stage. For a year or so, after the Soviet
revolution, Socialist opposition was tolerated within what
corresponded to parliament in their system (but its freedom
of speech there was curbed).

 Did you ever hear of the Far Eastern
Republic , a huge independent state spanning the eastern third
of Siberia? It existed for two years as a  buffer  state  between
Russia and Japan (which had juicy economic concessions there).
The state was (as Soviet historians put it) "bourgeois-democratic
in form, but led by Bolsheviks". I suppose that includes elections.
In due time, its Moscow-selected leaders duly liquidated it.

Nearer to our time, post-war elections in both Hungary and Czechoslovakia
were *not phony* (as they now are). But the cards were sufficiently
stacked to ensure the Soviet-favored composition of parliaments.
I agree with you that, to the totalitarian mind, this is not
a normal situation. It does not last forever. But for a time,
in the presence of external constraints, it can be endured.

What follows is is the polemical excerpt I promised.

/* Written  9:51 pm  Sep 20, 1985 by janw@inmet.UUCP in inmet:net.politics */
[...]

	      [should be "technology of power" --JW]

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/27/85)

> In article <1178@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
> >--
> >Oh boy, somebody said the magic word:
> >
> >> So what?  Why not salute the flag, you are an American aren't you?
> >> What is the problem with patriotic songs.  Do you find patriotism
> >> offensive?
> >
> >"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." --Samuel Johnson
>
> "In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
> refuge of a scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
> inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first."
> 	-- Ambrose Bierce
> --
> David Canzi

Is that the same Doc who puts out Doc Johnson's Joy Jelly, or Doc's Delight-
ful Dildos?