[net.politics] HOW TO DEAL WITH A JERK

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) (09/23/85)

I wholeheartedly agree with Jeff Sonntag about Laurie Seftons
suggestion to financially castigate Don Black through DEC
salespersons. I, personally, find this level of attack way,way
below the level of previous rabble rousing ( RE Scott & Alex
out in California) and totally out of place in this forum (the
NET not net.flame). The net is primarily an ideas function, not
of action, and boycotts of any kind are childish squealing at
not being able to get your own way. What would you do if anyone at
AT&T decided to use this forum to "persuade" all users not to use
any other long distance carriers or pull their resources from the
net ?

If you Laurie ( and you too Chuq [ I didn't see a disclaimer ;-) ] )
personally feel that you want to financially hurt X number of DEC
employees ( & their families) this way fine , go ahead, don't try
and justify it or blame Don Black for a point of view that's contrary
to your own for getting REAL SLEAZY !!!!!

Do not take this article to be a pro or con view of any of Don Blacks
articles ! If anyone (large corporations included) wants to know my
opinion please send $ 19.95 to P.O. Box 395 etc etc

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/25/85)

[disclaimer one: I've moved blocks of comments around to try to deal with them
in a rational manner. I've also tried to NOT move them around out of context.]

In article <1002@houxf.UUCP> 9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) writes:
>If you Laurie ( and you too Chuq [ I didn't see a disclaimer ;-) ] )
>personally feel that you want to financially hurt X number of DEC
>employees ( & their families) this way fine , go ahead, don't try
>and justify it or blame Don Black for a point of view that's contrary
>to your own for getting REAL SLEAZY !!!!!

Since my name has been brought up, I'll try to keep people from putting
words into my mouth by putting them in myself. First, Laurie speaks for
herself. I don't review her comments, and don't plan to in the future.
Last I looked, she had a mind of her own, and I won't demean her by
passing in review to see whether or not she agrees with me. I am a
constitutionalist.  I was brought up in a print media household and I
am a firm supporter of first amendment. If I felt that USENET qualified as
a 'free press', I would find myself in the unenviable position of supporting
Don Black's right to post his trash, just like I support Larry Flynt's
slimeball activities in demeaning women.

The reality of the situation is that USENET isn't a 'free press.' If Don
Black was printing a newsletter with that tripe in it, I'd be the first to
give him the right to do so (I, of course, would also happily burn any copy
mailed to me.) I view USENET more as a wide-ranging company newsletter,
since it is funded mainly by corporate coffers. As such, the supporters
have the right (and responsibility) to restrict the editorial comment
to things that they feel are acceptable to the reading community (this is
the function of an editor in any publication -- Larry Flynt's editorial
policy is a lot different than Hefner, which is a lot different than the
Wall Street Journal). I certainly don't blame Don Black for holding his
views, the wonder of this country is that everyone is free to make
themselves act like idiots if they want. I do blame Dec for being unable or
unwilling to control the inappropriate editorial material coming from their
sites, just like I blame AT&T for used car ads in net.general. The reality
of the situation is that what Don Black says DOES rub off on Dec, mainly
because they seem unwilling to do something about it. I don't feel that the
material he posts is appropriate for this net, and I'll stand up and
applaude the day he leaves (this goes for a number of other people out
there, too, but Don black is the subject right now).

The first solution to this kind of problem is, of course, to simply not
read his works. If he doesn't get any feedback he might decide to go away
(everyone gets tired of yelling into the wind...). Assuming that you feel
that his postings are so obnoxious that you have to take positive action
against them, there are two things you can do:

    o write letters, either to SA's or other people at Dec, complaining
    about the postings.

    o if that isn't good enough, choose to not deal with the company
    that supports those activities. In other words, boycott.

I decided to deal with the situation by (1) not reading the garbage, and
(2) by deciding to not work for companies that support that sort of garbage
being posted by their employees (Dec, with Black, Arndt, and Williams, is
at the top of that list). Now, I don't expect Dec to lose a lot of sleep
because I won't go to work for them, but I don't have to worry about being
affiliated with a company that is publicly affiliated with views I find
distateful. One way to protest, BTW, is to refuse, in writing a job offer
from Dec and give Don Black and company as the reason, which is a different
form of economic protest than simply not buying Dec products.

For the record, I don't particularly support refusing to buy Dec products
because of Black and friends. Also for the record, I'm only 1 of 13000 or
so national employees, so even if I DID support a boycott on Dec, it
probably wouldn't affect national semiconductor purchasing a
heckuvalot. One thing you have to watch in a boycott of this form is the
backlash -- by throwing an excessive amount of publicity their way, you
give creedence to their blatherings.

What I WOULD suggest is that EVERYONE simply start ignoring them. If they
get absolutely no mail, no followups, no feedback at all, their comments
will simply disappear into the morass. As long as they have people feeding
back at them, they'll have fodder to continue their rantings. they aren't
listening, folks, and you're just giving them excuses to continue talking.
Leave them alone, and eventually they'll go away.

>What would you do if anyone at
>AT&T decided to use this forum to "persuade" all users not to use
>any other long distance carriers or pull their resources from the net ?

I'd let them pull their resources from the net, happily, and figure out how
to survive without them. I'd also let the Justice department know about it,
and our corporate communications group, and get my computers up on Sprint
or MCI or something immediately. That would be a bluff I'd love to call.

--
:From the shores of Avalon:     Chuq Von Rospach
nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA          {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid}!nsc!chuqui

Closing your mind is not a prerequisite to opening your mouth.

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (09/26/85)

Laurie,

Silencing Black by putting the squeeze on him thru his
employer is guaranteed to give him the "Via Dolorosa"
and Crucifixion scene that would validate his paranoia.

Let the man rave on and meet him with the facts as you
know them.  No cheap shots at DEC or Black thru DEC.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/27/85)

[{ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!alan]
> He is posting in a civilized fashion to the appropriate forums.

If this were true, you would be right. But what is a  "civilized"
fashion  ?   The person you are speaking about does not use swear
words; he spells correctly, he even writes "ad nauseam" when almost
everyone misspells "ad nauseum". He  adopts  a  smooth tone.
Is this civilized ?

BUT he speaks, e.g., of 5.7 odd  million  "Americans"; the quotation
marks are his, and he means American Jews. Just think of this:
Gentiles are Americans, Jews are "Americans". Viciously insulting an
ethnic or religious group is *not* within the  norms  of  contemporary
American  civilization.

 But  remember,  norms  change,   and  they  change  by  *usage*.
This  is  what makes such  language  dangerous: it creates a pre-
cedent.  The *substance* of what a person says is covered by  the
principle  of  free  speech; besides, in this case it is  beneath
contempt (even though Gary Samuelson managed to write an  article
about  it that is truly beautiful in its  calm  logic).  But  the
*form* can and should be regulated - I don't mean by law  but  by
everyone    being   conscious   of   the   offended   norm.

 In Congress,  speech  is  free; yet  members  get  censured  for
unparliamentary accusations.
 In recent elections Jesse Jackson was censured severely for what
he  said  in  a  semi-private setting; something not one-tenth as
odious as the expression above.  And he *apologized*,  too.

 True, politics is one thing, free discussion on a net is  anoth-
er.  So,  we are freely discussing the definition of "civilized".
For better or  worse,  such  are  current  civilized  norms.  Are
you proposing to start changing them with this case ?

		Jan Wasilewsky

P. S. I am not in favor of the approach  recommended  by  Laurie.
Though  economic  boycott  is legitimate, it would tend to make a
martyr for a cause unworthy to have one.  A  phony  martyr,  too,
since  his  group  (whatever it is) would find him another source
of income. We are not dealing with  one  individual.  Think  of
these  alleged  JDL  bombings:  they  made publicity both for JDL
(which is bad, but they might relish it)  *and*  for  the  bombed
Nazi  outfit - which is worse, and they should have known better.
Fringe groups thrive on  notoriety;  their  main  problem  is  to
achieve  *name  recognition*. So, don't help them unless you want
to.

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (09/27/85)

Chuq,

Yours is a prescription for the eventual destruction of
the net.  We must tolerate the wind and noise of Mr Black
if we are to even pretend to know anything about freedom
of thought or expression no matter who pays for it.

Your methods are petulant and childish ( as are many corp
orations who would probably agree with your Big Squeeze
tactics).

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (09/27/85)

In article <1002@houxf.UUCP> 9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (Nomad # 73299651) writes:
>If you Laurie ( and you too Chuq [ I didn't see a disclaimer ;-) ] )
>personally feel that you want to financially hurt X number of DEC
>employees ( & their families) this way fine , go ahead, don't try
>and justify it or blame Don Black for a point of view that's contrary
>to your own for getting REAL SLEAZY !!!!!

I agree that this is not a good or valid method of dealing with Don Black.
Although I disagree with almost all of Mr. Blacks postings, his right to
speak, his right to make a living, and his right to have crackpot ideas
should and must be protected.

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (09/30/85)

> 		Jan Wasilewsky
> Think  of
> these  alleged  JDL  bombings:  they  made publicity both for JDL
> (which is bad, but they might relish it)  *and*  for  the  bombed
> Nazi  outfit - which is worse, and they should have known better.

     'They should have known better'?  Oh, I get it.  You actually
think that the JDL did it?
     Can you think of any good reasons why the JDL would want people
to think that they are terrorists?
     Can you think of any good reasons why the Nazi outfit would want
people to think that the JDL are terrorists?
     Unless more evidence comes out, the only reasonable assumption is
that the Nazis did it themselves.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j