[net.politics] Terrorism and World War II

gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) (10/11/85)

In article <477@enmasse.UUCP>, mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:
> (Also Hiroshima, Dresden, the bombing of London
> etc. were all terrorism. The car bombing of the U.S. marine base in
> Lebanon was a military action, the Israeli bombing of Beirut was terrorism.)

Here in parentheses we have a very remarkable comment.  The examples of
Schrechtlichkeit from World War II that are most familiar to Mark Roddy are
Hiroshima, Dresden, and the bombing of London.  Two Allied operations and one
attack on the Allies.  Well, we sure are forgetting history quickly.  Sure,
those events were terrible, controversial, and perhaps morally reprehensible
(although there is still much discussion on this last point).  But it is all
penny ante stuff compared to the Eastern Front and the Japanese invasion of
China.  We have, for example:

The destruction of Stalingrad
The Leningrad famine
The death camps