[net.politics] The Real Reason behind Push to Bring Creationism to Classroom

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (10/20/85)

Those folks who insist on teaching creationism in "SCIENCE" classes,
are not really concerned about their own children being exposed to
the creationist theory. These guys are *FUNDAMENTALISTS*, who demand
acceptance of *their* interpretation of Bible in toto by their followers.
I can not imagine that these folks are leaving indoctrination of their
own children in the hands of public schools. Their own kids probably
spend lot of time on Bible study etc. and are in no way deprived of the
*other* view.

But no. That ain't enough. For these Ayatollahs everyone else must be
told about their version of gospel. They would not be happy letting
the rest of the world go its own way. No way Jose.
These guys insist that every kid must be indoctrinated.
Eovolutionist view point is the result of persuit of knowledge and that
theory itself has been evolving with time. That is science and belongs
in the science classroom.

Religion is a private matter and belongs in places of worship and people's
homes.
It can form a part of study of social sciences,
not pretend to be an alternative to science.

I am beginning to get tired of   these self appointed protectors of
people. They should realize that no scientific theory needed to be pushed
down people's throat under political pressure. If a view point is indeed
right it will eventually find it's place in scientific books.

Oh by the way; what was Adam's sin ??
Persuit of KNOWLEDGE offcourse :-) :-)
--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (10/23/85)

In article <2126@amdahl.UUCP> dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) writes:
>Oh by the way; what was Adam's sin ??
>Persuit of KNOWLEDGE offcourse :-) :-)

Why the smily faces; it's true.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

"I'm looking for the joke with a microscope."
-Iggy Pop

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/24/85)

> I am beginning to get tired of   these self appointed protectors of
> people. They should realize that no scientific theory needed to be pushed
> down people's throat under political pressure. If a view point is indeed
> right it will eventually find it's place in scientific books.

Unfortunately, many textbook publishers are responding to the pseudo-
religious trend of anti-creationism by giving only brief, vague mentions
of evolution in science textbooks. While I agree with the essence and tone
of your flaming article, I must take issue with your apparent belief that
science textbooks are beyond the pressures of politics and social trends,
even if those pressures are anti-scientific.

> Oh by the way; what was Adam's sin ??
> Persuit of KNOWLEDGE of course :-) :-)
>
> Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

 [  O O  ] My grandaddy won't no ape, mon!
  \  ^  / /
   | | |
   | | |      Todd E. Jones {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
   | O |
   |___|      These opinions are mine. If you want to rent them, write.