[net.politics] Sometimes I

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (10/09/85)

> <stupid postings on Usenet> C'mon line eater!
>
> Note:  This is STella Calvert, a guest on decvax!frog!wjr
>
> The Constitution was voted in by a majority (not a unanimity) of the
> states.  It was then forced on states that did NOT support it.  How
> many of the signers of the Declaration signed the Constitution?  I
> believe that is where we "strayed off the path".  Note that when the
> _Confederacy_ attempted to secede, the United Statists in their
> coercive majesty dragged those states back (and forgot about black
> rights as soon as politically expedient).

I enjoyed your article, STella, but I found myself disagreeing
with the above paragraph.  I'm no expert on the U.S. Constitution,
history, or law, but my memory of the historical events was that
after nine out of thirteen states approved the Constitution, the
accord went into effect between them.  However, the non-signatory
states were under no compulsion to join the Union -- in fact they
could not be compelled to since at the time they were independent
states.  All of the original holdout states eventually, over the
next two years, did approve the Constitution and join the United
States, with the State of Rhode Island being the final laggard.

The states joined for a number of reasons, commercial, political,
and social.  Many people feared a future as small, Balkanized
states.  Americans had recently freed themselves from European
domination, and many wondered if small independent states could
continue to fend off the imperial powers.  "Independent" states
could also look forward to strong trade barriers at the border.
A "common market" was one of the attractive benefits of the Union.

Certainly, one can imagine Rhode Island, say, continuing to reject
the Constitution and evolving alongside the United States as a sort
of American Luxembourg.  But, the fact is that no state chose this
route, and instead all chose the Union.  In acceding to the U.S.
Constitution, the states also acceded to the Constitutional
provision which declares it to be the "supreme law of the land."

Now, once having agreed that the U.S. Constitution -- and its
institutions such as the Congress -- are the "supreme law of the
land," where do the signatory states get the idea that they can
unilaterally withdraw?  Don't get me wrong, I believe that states
can legally withdraw from the Union -- but it seems clear that
the Congress must acquiesce.  The Confederate States did not get
Congress's approval before attempting to dismantle the Union!

--

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     "All disclaimers including this one apply"

	Life, even cellular life, may exist out yonder in the dark.
	But high or low in nature, it will not wear the shape of man.
	That shape is the evolutionary product of a strange, long
	wandering through the attics of the forest roof, and so
	great are the chances of failure, that nothing precisely
	and identically human is likely ever to come that way again.
		Loren Eiseley, *The Immense Journey*, 1946

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (10/12/85)

>Certainly, one can imagine Rhode Island, say, continuing to reject
>the Constitution and evolving alongside the United States as a sort
>of American Luxembourg.  But, the fact is that no state chose this
>route, and instead all chose the Union.  In acceding to the U.S.
>Constitution, the states also acceded to the Constitutional
>provision which declares it to be the "supreme law of the land."

In fact, Quebec continued to reject the Constitution, despite some
pretty stron representations from delegations including, if memory
serves me, Benedict Arnold and Ben Franklin.  The statement above
should be amended to read "no state that joined the Union decided
to stay out of the Union", a pretty meaningless statement.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/24/85)

In article <244@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>				  However, the non-signatory
>states were under no compulsion to join the Union -- in fact they
>could not be compelled to since at the time they were independent
>states.  All of the original holdout states eventually, over the
>next two years, did approve the Constitution and join the United
>States, with the State of Rhode Island being the final laggard.

I'm sorry I phrased that so it seemed I was arguing that the other states were
drafted into the Union -- and sorrier still my sources on the disinformation
campaign used to bring the holdouts into line are buried in a storage locker.
But until then, OK -- states were not forced to join, they were propagandized.

>The states joined for a number of reasons, commercial, political,
>and social.  Many people feared a future as small, Balkanized
>states.  Americans had recently freed themselves from European
>domination, and many wondered if small independent states could
>continue to fend off the imperial powers.

And many, including signers of the Declaration, feared King Washington as much
as the other George.

>				In acceding to the U.S.
>Constitution, the states also acceded to the Constitutional
>provision which declares it to be the "supreme law of the land."

>Now, once having agreed that the U.S. Constitution -- and its
>institutions such as the Congress -- are the "supreme law of the
>land," where do the signatory states get the idea that they can
>unilaterally withdraw?  Don't get me wrong, I believe that states
>can legally withdraw from the Union -- but it seems clear that
>the Congress must acquiesce.  The Confederate States did not get
>Congress's approval before attempting to dismantle the Union!

I don't know where those states got the idea they could withdraw unilaterally
-- but it might have been from Thomas Jefferson.

	"When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one
people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with
another...."  I won't quote the whole thing, but TJ argued that there are
rights that cannot be superceded by any government.

And if that argument was sufficient for the first revolution, it would seem
sufficient for any other.

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachussetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)

mcgeer@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rick McGeer) (10/25/85)

In article <818@x.UUCP> wjr@x.UUCP (STella Calvert) writes:
>In article <244@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>>				  However, the non-signatory
>>states were under no compulsion to join the Union -- in fact they
>>could not be compelled to since at the time they were independent
>>states.  All of the original holdout states eventually, over the
>>next two years, did approve the Constitution and join the United
>>States, with the State of Rhode Island being the final laggard.
>
>I'm sorry I phrased that so it seemed I was arguing that the other states were
>drafted into the Union -- and sorrier still my sources on the disinformation
>campaign used to bring the holdouts into line are buried in a storage locker.
>But until then, OK -- states were not forced to join, they were propagandized.

Is there any evidence whatever of such propagandizing?  What specific
falsehoods were told, and by whom?  The benefits of joining the United States
were fairly evident, and the Framers' goodwill relatively clear -- the
structure of the Senate was a specific concession to the small states, who
feared domination by the likes of Virginia and New York.

>>The states joined for a number of reasons, commercial, political,
>>and social.  Many people feared a future as small, Balkanized
>>states.  Americans had recently freed themselves from European
>>domination, and many wondered if small independent states could
>>continue to fend off the imperial powers.
>
>And many, including signers of the Declaration, feared King Washington as much
>as the other George.

This is a damned lie.  Washington was offered the crown on a number of
occasions in the 1780's, first in 1781 (when Congress, beginning a long and
ignoble tradition, refused to pay the army) and again in 1785.  Each time
he refused, with vehemence -- on the first occasion personally forestalling
a coup by his officers.  Further, he and he alone pushed hard for a
Constitution, at least in part because he feared that the remnants of the
Continental Army would attempt to put him on the throne.  And the only reason
the Constitution was accepted at all was that Washington agreed to be the
first President.  Indeed, Flexner writes that the only aspect of the
Constitution that appealed to people was that Washington would be the first
President.  Finally, Washington attempted to retire after his first term and
did retire after his second, *against the wishes of practically every state
government and the Congress* -- because he was afraid that he would die in
office, be succeeded by Adams, and thus establish a monarchial tradition.

In sum: Washington sought no public office, aside from that of a seat in
the House of Burgesses, from 1760 on -- each office he took was thrust upon
a reluctant Virginia planter.  Two.  Washington's holdings suffered grievously
both during the Revolution and his Presidency; indeed, Washington's tenure in
public affairs was a personal disaster.  Three.  Washinton twice refused the
crown of America and retired from public life to ensure that a monarchial
tradition never took hold in America.  Four.  It is very clear that the
people of the early Republic would have preferred King Washington, given the
option.  It was only because of his genuine commitment to democracy that we
enjoy it today.  There are any number of biographies and histories which attest
to this: I suggest you read them and learn our collective debt to the Father
of America.

						-- Rick.

In article <818@x.UUCP> wjr@x.UUCP (STella Calvert) writes:
>In article <244@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>>Now, once having agreed that the U.S. Constitution -- and its
>>institutions such as the Congress -- are the "supreme law of the
>>land," where do the signatory states get the idea that they can
>>unilaterally withdraw?  Don't get me wrong, I believe that states
>>can legally withdraw from the Union -- but it seems clear that
>>the Congress must acquiesce.  The Confederate States did not get
>>Congress's approval before attempting to dismantle the Union!
>
>I don't know where those states got the idea they could withdraw unilaterally
>-- but it might have been from Thomas Jefferson.
>
>	"When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one
>people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with
>another...."  I won't quote the whole thing, but TJ argued that there are
>rights that cannot be superceded by any government.
>
>And if that argument was sufficient for the first revolution, it would seem
>sufficient for any other.

Quite so -- if the government is sufficiently oppresive, you have a right to
revolt against it.  But that isn't a *legal* right, and you had better be
prepared for it to fight back.  Which is of course what happened.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka