[net.politics] School Prayer

bwm@ccieng2.UUCP ( Brad Miller) (03/22/84)

Seems to me, prayer in schools is awful close to indoctrination. I
thought schools were meant to TEACH. If so, how about teaching about all
the people who have been killed in the name of Allah, Christ, God, whatever.
Seems to me most problems in the Middle East come down to religion. Rather
than perpetuating the problem, we should be educating the children to
understand why religion isn't necessary; you can take responsibility for
your own actions, and not foist them off on the will of some 'superior'
being. Religion has been used FOR TOO LONG as a tool to control the ignorant.

--
...[rlgvax, ritcv]!ccieng5!ccieng2!bwm

jrt@hou5g.UUCP (03/23/84)

[Where's the BEEF ??? ... I'm Hungry! ... munch, munch]  <- line eater

> From: bwm@ccieng2.UUCP ( Brad Miller)
> Seems to me, prayer in schools is awful close to indoctrination. I
> thought schools were meant to TEACH. If so, how about teaching about all
> the people who have been killed in the name of Allah, Christ, God, whatever.

   I believe that is already being done in most history classes, however
most religions not only don't espouse killing/violence/control.  The OPPOSITE
is most often the case...i.e. "vengence is MINE sayeth the Lord", "turn
your other cheek", "forgive  us as we forgive others"..etc,etc.

> Seems to me most problems in the Middle East come down to religion. Rather
> than perpetuating the problem, we should be educating the children to
> understand why religion isn't necessary; you can take responsibility for
> your own actions, and not foist them off on the will of some 'superior'
> being. Religion has been used FOR TOO LONG as a tool to control the ignorant.

   The conflicts between what you are talking about and what religions stand
for is what a few individuals have done to twist and distort the teachings
of religions for their own personal beliefs and purposes.  Religions have
a fantastic potential for good.  Along with that they also have a very
big potential for ABUSE.  Instead of trying to pretend that religious
beliefs don't or shouldn't exist, why not try to EDUCATE people on what
the various religions are REALLY trying to say, so that in later life,
individuals can make intelligent, informed decisions and can differentiate
between what the religion says and some abuser is trying to get you to believe.

				(** FRODO **) alias hou5g!jrt

p.s.  I wonder how many of you that are screaming about not allowing
	people to pray in schools or public places, make even a hint
	of displeasure known at someone smoking in a non-smoking area
	where thier smoke has been proven to be harmful to people
	around them ......   never mind, that's another flame .....

yudelson@aecom.UUCP (Larry Yudelson) (03/23/84)

	So the public schools should teach that religion is the
root of all evil, that religion is all a gigantic lie, etc. etc. etc.???

	Is this any better than what Falwell is trying to slam down our
throats?  I think that if you look at recent history, you'll see that
the effects of small groups feuding against each other  is nowhere
as dangerous as One Unified Nation with whatever ideology its leader
chooses.  I have my doubts about the long-term effects of a society where
children can play chess but can't pray at school; I also am terrified
of a society where everyone must say the same prayer, be it Billy Graham's
or Bertrand Russell's.

	Perhaps the solution is what I followed: private schools.  I
was able to play chess and pray before school; both my chess game and
religious life are the better for it.  Perhaps a free-market approach
to education would be a lot better approach than a big-brother approach
to both education or religion.

	I have more to say on the subject, but I might as well wait
for the flames to roll in, to mismangle a metaphor

	"Beware the Frumiest Bandersnatch"

	Larry Yudelson

jrl@harpo.UUCP (jrl) (03/23/84)

      With all this talk of prayer in the schools, let us not forget
 what Sigmund Freud said in one of his books (I think it was Totem & Taboo)
 He referred to religion as  "THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES" .

      While prayer has no place in school (public). There should be allowed
 a time for silent meditation where students can pray to Christ, Buddah,
 Jehova, or the dollar. Rather than try to force children to pray there
 should be more of an effort to teach them to think for themselves. But I
 keep forgetting that the function of a school is not to educate, but to
 mold children into docile, productive taxpayers to be led down the
 consumer path by the Judas goat of television.

     Years ago I knew a family that was scorned by the neighbors because
 their child had no religion. What the parents did was to expose the child
 to many forms of religious worship and teachings and left it up to the
 child to choose his own faith.

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (03/24/84)

Wasn't it Karl Marx who said that education is the opium of the masses?

				Sophie Quigley
			...!{decvax,allegra}!watmath!saquigley

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (03/24/84)

aecom!yudelson (from a pro-school-prayer viewpoint):

	> So the public schools should teach that religion is the
	> root of all evil, that religion is all a gigantic lie, etc.
	> etc. etc.???

No.  It's not for the schools to take a position on religion.  (They seem to
have a hard enough time teaching such well-understood subjects as Math and
English!  :-) ) Religion is the business of the church and the individual
families.  Surely parents who feel so strongly about their kids praying can
have them spare a minute for prayer at home before rushing off to school?

Religion seems to be one of the most divisive forces at work in society
(witness Lebanon, North Ireland), and schools would probably be better off
not coming down on either side of the fence.  Let them teach the youngsters
how to THINK, and have them then weigh the evidence and make up their minds
for themselves.
--
Saumya Debray, 	SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp:
	    {cbosgd, decvax, ihnp4, mcvax, cmcl2}!philabs \
		    {amd70, akgua, decwrl, utzoo}!allegra  > !sbcs!debray
	       		{teklabs, hp-pcd, metheus}!ogcvax /
	CSNet: debray@suny-sbcs@CSNet-Relay

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (03/26/84)

][

No, Karl baby said Religion was the opiate of the masses.

msimpson@bbncca.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (03/26/84)

***
26 March 1984.

>>	  Brad Miller (ccieng2!bwm):
>>	  "Religion has been used FAR TOO LONG as a tool to control
>> the ignorant."

	But Brad, hasn't it been stated time and again that
religion is the 'opiate of the masses'?
	Public schools today are being battered by right-wing
fundamentalists' desires to have THEIR particular values taught
to the exclusion of others'.  This is not right, as freedom of
speech and thought are in danger of being stifled.
	Has anyone seriously thought about the parallels between
the Moral Majority's attempt to coerce America's children via
'prayer in schools' (which is all a political crock, anyway)
and Lenin's statement "Give me the children for four years (long
enough to get my particular beliefs in), and I will have them for
life." ?  Grab Richard Mitchell's book "The Graves of Academe"
if you are at all interested.
	Comments welcomed, to the net or to me directly.
--
		        -- cheers,
			   Mike Simpson, BBN

msimpson@bbncca.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (03/26/84)

***
26 March 84

From: Larry Yudelson (aecom!yudelson)

     "So, public schools should teach that religion is the root
of all evil, that religion is a gigantic lie, etc? ... "

	The first paragraph sounds more like a momentary burst of
paranoia.  I don't think that public schools should be teaching
religion at all.  If  they MUST, have them teach ABOUT many
different kinds , without proffering one as "the RIGHT one", and
let the kids make up their own minds.

        "I have my doubts about the long-term effects of a
society where children can play chess but can't pray at school; I
am also terrified of a society where everyone must say the same
prayer, be it Billy Graham's or Bertrand Russell's."

	I don't claim to follow the second paragraph very well --
although the thought of everyone saying the same prayer scares
me, I don't see where praying in schools is going to be the
panacea that fundamentalists claim it to be.  Besides, there will
be prayer in schools for as long as you have junior high algebra
[ :-) ].

        "Perhaps a free-market approach to education would be a
lot better approach than a big-brother approach to both education
or religion."

	I agree with the last statement totally.  Given a
free-market approach, each parent can customize his/her child's
education to preference.

tpkq@charm.UUCP (Timothy Kerwin) (03/27/84)

^

>> Wasn't it Karl Marx who said that education is the opium of the masses?

No, it wasn't.  Marx described RELIGION as the "opium of the people."

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (03/28/84)

True prayers do it in silence.
--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

hom@hocda.UUCP (H.MORRIS) (03/29/84)

>>Hey, baby, how wrong is Terkel?  After all, look at the state of the
>>hacker's physical well being during the Raygun administration as
>>opposed to the well being of Joe American.  Hey, my salary is up some
>>impressive amount, I'll tell you that.  Financially, Ronnie has done
>>me ok.  His other policies?  Well, I'd take a Ronnie over Jimmy the
>>noodle Carter any day, at least you know where he stands and the
>>economy doesn't go to hell in a handbasket.  I don't know that most
>>the other losers who are running would do any better.
>>
>>If only we could get hizonner the mayor Ed Koch of New York, he's a
>>great politician, he's my hero.  He'd make a good president, but he's
>>already said that he's never gonna be a politician except to be mayor
>>of the great city of New York.  I can't blame him.  If we're stuck with
>>the losers that the Dems are running, I don't see that Reagan will be
>>any worse.  No, I don't want to fry in a nuke blast, but I still don't
>>see the front-running Democretins being any improvement over Reagan in
>>terms of foreign relations, after all, there's more to good foreign
>>relations than just being a wimp.  Likewise, there's more to solving the
>>nation's other problems than being a wimp.
>>
>>And yes, look at all the inane yumps around.  You can usually find them
>>at new wave avant garde pickup places.  Oh, I wish I was cool like
>>that.  They all look like that loser in the Xerox ads on TV who goes
>>around trying to outwimp Alan Alda.  Studs might be rude, but he ain't
>>wrong.  (Feel free to forward this to him.)
>>
>>I don't read net.politics, I find that group especially inane, if you
>>want to reach me, post to net.flame, where I find the discussions more
>>palatable.
>>
>>	Your faithful ane yumpservantzombeing,
>>	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

I have to admit there's something to Terkel's argument.

covert@castor.DEC (John Covert) (03/29/84)

When I was a student in the Free State of Bavaria in the mid-sixties, every
school divided its students into Roman Catholic classes and Evangelical
(Lutheran) classes.  The curriculum was the same; which class you were in
determined the prayer recited each morning and who taught the religion classes.

Religion is firmly established by the state in other areas as well.  A Church
tax is deducted from your paycheck unless you formally withdraw from the Church.

The following days are holidays (businesses and stores are closed) in
Bavaria (and most of them in other parts of Germany and many other European
countries as well):

New Year's Day, Epiphany (Heilige Drei Koenige), Good Friday, Easter Monday,
May Day, Ascension Day, Whitmonday (Monday after Pentecost), Feast of Corpus
Christi, Day of German Unity, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, All
Saints Day (day after Halloween), Day of Atonement, First and Second days of
Christmas.

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (10/18/85)

Expires: