[net.politics] Singapore

lkk@teddy.UUCP (11/06/85)

From talcott!seismo!decvax!dartvax!psc70!tos@panda Tue Nov  5 20:01:37 1985
From: talcott!seismo!decvax!dartvax!psc70!tos@panda
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 85 22:45:51 est
To: talcott!panda!teddy!lkk@harvard.UUCP
Subject: Re: Point of Information: Economy of Singapore

    Can't post this as follow-up, because our system isn't working
right. Please post it for me, if possible:
    Reagan's story about Singapore is simply an example of his overall
pattern of repeating anecdotes and "data" from an ultra-conservative
journal called Human Events, probably from Birch Society literature as
well (though this is obviously not acknowledged), and most of all from
Reader's Digest.   So much of it has been proven to be either total
fabrications, or distortions so gross as to constitute blatant lies,
or simply tales which the White House staff with baffled and bemused
faces "can't confirm or comment on..." -- that a whole book of
Reagan's lies has been published!
    The real, and very sad point, however, is that the more of this
garbage and disinformation the President spreads, the better the
people like him. I've come to believe that the mass of the people
quite literally like being lied to, and resent being told the truth --
for example, that's what they hated about Carter... especially when it
naturally developed that the truth is often internally inconsistent,
incoherent, and very complex and confusing.
    Being a "liberal" used to mean most of all having faith in the
good sense of the people. I used to be a liberal... but... ?

Tom Schlesinger
Plymouth State College
Plymouth, N.H. 03264
decvax!dartvax!psc70!psc90!tos