[net.politics] The myth of Allied invasion of R

janw@inmet.UUCP (11/03/85)

> [Gabor Fencsik {ihnp4,dual,hplabs,intelca}!qantel!gabor ]
> [answering <50400001@hpcnof.UUCP> Larry Bruns]

I believe Gabor's points to be both true  and profound.
(I don't know Gabor, but I've never seen an article of his that
was not worth re-reading).

Let me add this.
Though hypotheses in "alternative history" are unverifiable,
it is quite likely that, without Communism, the Russian empire
would have fallen apart. All the others did (count:
Austro-Hungary, Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Portugal,
Spain...). This one survived, and spread, and keeps spreading.

Communism provided it (1) with an incomparable machinery
of power and (2) with a supranational, internationalist
ideology, acceptable to the ruling class of subject lands.
It also (3) made economic gain secondary to power gain, so
the empire needn't be cost effective to exist.

		Jan Wasilewsky

lkk@teddy.UUCP (11/04/85)

In article <7800608@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>Let me add this.
>Though hypotheses in "alternative history" are unverifiable,
>it is quite likely that, without Communism, the Russian empire
>would have fallen apart. All the others did (count:
>Austro-Hungary, Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Portugal,
>Spain...). This one survived, and spread, and keeps spreading.

What about the American empire?  Seems like an equally important
factor in keeping such empires together is contiguity.  The only
contiguous empires I can think of off hand are U.S., China, and
U.S.S.R.  They're all seem pretty permanent.

>Communism provided it (1) with an incomparable machinery
>of power and (2) with a supranational, internationalist
>ideology, acceptable to the ruling class of subject lands.
>It also (3) made economic gain secondary to power gain, so
>the empire needn't be cost effective to exist.

American ideology (whatever that may be) seems to have done a pretty
effective job as well.

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

In article <1576@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>What about the American empire?  Seems like an equally important
>factor in keeping such empires together is contiguity.  The only
>contiguous empires I can think of off hand are U.S., China, and
>U.S.S.R.  They're all seem pretty permanent.

What American empire?  The U.S. is a large country, but that doesn't make
it an empire.  Culturally and socially, it is a unit -- not totally
lacking regional diversity, but relatively so.  The same applies to China,
with the exception of Tibet, which is occupied territoritory.
(Historically, China was an empire, but successfully imposed its culture
on much of the occupied territory.  Most of the exceptions, such as
Korea, are today independent.)

Russia today, however, has a dominant Russian culture, which rules a variety
of subject peoples of diverse cultures -- the various central Asian
Moslem peoples, Ukrainians, Georgians, and the nations of eastern Europe.
This is an empire.

(India, by the way, is not an empire because of the lack of a dominant
culture.  It isn't overwhelmingly stable, either.)

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

janw@inmet.UUCP (11/06/85)

[Larry Kolodney (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa]
> In article <7800608@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
> >Let me add this.
> >Though hypotheses in "alternative history" are unverifiable,
> >it is quite likely that, without Communism, the Russian empire
> >would have fallen apart. All the others did (count:
> >Austro-Hungary, Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Portugal,
> >Spain...). This one survived, and spread, and keeps spreading.

> What about the American empire?  Seems like an equally important
> factor in keeping such empires together is contiguity.  The only
> contiguous empires I can think of off hand are U.S., China, and
> U.S.S.R.  They're all seem pretty permanent.

Well, I admit I have not defined "empire". I was speaking in  the
context  of  the original note (to which Gabor answered). It men-
tioned the fact that only half of Soviet population  is  Russian,
and  the  others  mostly live in contiguous republics. If you add
Eastern Europe, Afghanistan, Cuba and Mongolia, the  ratio  falls
to less than one third. It is an obvious factor of instability.

So, for the purposes of this article, let an empire be a combina-
tion,  under  a single de-facto government, of several contiguous
territories populated by different nationalities, of comparable
size,  some  of  which  are  dominant, and the others not free to
leave.

China has something like it, but on a quite different scale:  the
great  majority  are  Han (Chinese), though some of the others do
live in large contiguous territoties. (But then, of course, China
is as Communist as Russia). USA has nothing like it except Puerto
Rico (and they are free to go) and the Indian reservations. The
Soviet situation is much like Austro-Hungary.

I think you are quite right about contiguity; it is a factor.  We
should  remember,  however,  that  the  Russian empire *did* fall
apart during the Revolution, and was  then  reassembled  by  main
force and ideology in the following years and decades. And, look-
ing at the events, my estimate is that it took  *both*  contigui-
ty  and  something  like  Communism  to  overcome the centrifugal
forces.

 The Soviet ruling elite has been toying for several decades  now
with  the  idea  of  replacing  the outworn Marxist creed with an
ideology of Russian chauvinism. Mythological systems akin to  Na-
zism but with Russians as the true Aryans are currently quite po-
pular there. The reason they have never made the crossing  is,  I
believe,  that  an  ethnocentric  doctrine would not be fit for a
multi-ethnic empire.

		Jan Wasilewsky