[net.politics] Supply-side Economics: the Savings

renner@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/04/85)

>  Ronald Reagan has spent over $1 trillion on the military during his
>  administration, far more than combined outlays for "social spending".
>  For your information, Mr. Wheeler, "social spending" is usually not
>  defined as money for the Weather Bureau, the Parks System,
>  federal highways, etc. but money for various welfare programs.
>				-- Tim Sevener (orb@whuts)

Tim makes this claim from time to time, and it doesn't seem to matter that
I usually post statistics which show that it's utter nonsense.  I wish Tim
would get a copy of the *US Statistical Abstract* and look this up for
himself each time he gets the urge to post an article about the federal
budget.

For the record, military spending does not exceed outlays for "social
spending".  Data for the following table was obtained from the US
Statistical Abstract, 1984, p.316; the numbers indicate acutal outlays in
millions of dollars.
		                        1980    1983
				       -----   -----
		National Defense       135.9   214.8
		Vet.Benefits            21.2    24.4
		Total Military         157.1   239.2
		% of total outlays      27.2    29.7

		Income Security        193.1   282.5
		Health                  55.2    82.4
		Education               30.8    26.7
		Total Social Spending  279.1   391.6
		% of total outlays      48.4    48.6

1980 is of course the last full Carter year.  The figures for 1983 are
estimates in the Abstract; other sources (Congressional Quarterly, Feb. 4,
1984, pp.206-7) indicate that the actual figures for the military are
*lower*, and actual figures for social spending are *much higher*).
The budgets of the weather bureau, parks system, federal highways, etc. do
not appear anywhere in the table.

Scott Renner
{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (11/06/85)

In all the replies to my article on the decline of the
savings rate to its lowest level in this century I
have noticed that nobody wishes to defend this aspect
of supply-side economics.  T.C. Wheeler simply denies
that supply-side economics has anything to do with
increasing savings and investment- merely showing that
he has no notion of the "theory" behind supply-side
economics. (that less taxes for the wealthy would mean
more savings, which would lead to more investment, and
consequently improved production which would ultimately
miraculously lead to actually increased government revenues
so that the tax cuts would pay for themselves)
This same ignorance is shown by another poster who says
that it doesn't matter what people spend their money on,
since it is better to leave this choice to them than the
government.  Whether this happens to be true or not doesn't
matter to *my point* which is that according to *supply-side
theory* less taxes would indeed lead to increased savings.
So far after 4 years this has not proved to be true.
Needless to say other supply-side premises, such as the
fantastic premise that tax cuts would pay for themselves
have proved to be so fantastically off the mark that
they are not even mentioned in the wake of the largest deficits
in our country's history.  While our government is in debt
so huge that simply the interest on the debt is one of the fastest-
growing portions of the federal budget, the savings rate is
the lowest in a century, while *consumer debt* is also at
the highest point in history.
Meanwhile the SEC just relaxed restrictions on margin rates
in the stock market to pre-Depression levels because the SEC
said that the limits to margins set after the stock market
crash of 1929 were no longer needed.  This is in a year
that has seen more bankruptcies than any year in history
and the collapse of savings and loans in Ohio and Maryland
as well as a major crisis in one of the nations largest banks
in Chicago.

Is it nonsensical to suggest that our nation is standing
on an economic house of cards- placed in that position in no
small measure because of the rampant fiscal irresponsibility
of the Reagan administration?

It only seems apropo to me that Reagan immediately put up
a picture of his idol, Calvin Coolidge, in the White House
when he moved in.  He may attain Coolidge' and Hoover's
notoriety for longterm economic disaster.

         tim sevener  whuxn!orb

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (11/06/85)

Well, back to form.  Sevener, your full of bull.  Having gotten'
that out of the way, I would suggest that you take off the
blinders and examine the world around you.  In the first place,
your remarks concerning Social Security and Income Security
are mixing apples and oranges.  They do not mean the same thing.
Social spending does NOT include social security payments.
Look it up.  In the second place, if the country is in such
dire straights, why is every economic indicator we know
pointing up?  Could it be that you have such a hatred for
RR that you are letting it cloud reality?  And finally, you
mentioned Hoover as being the one who started the great
depression.  Well, if you had paid attention in Government
101, you would have noted that there was more to the reasons
for the depression than appears.  To begin, I would suggest
that you read the congressional record abstracts for 1932,
the last session before the election, and for 1933, the
first session after the election.  It makes very interesting
reading as to who blocked legislation designed to prevent
the depression.  It also makes interesting reading as to
who passed the exact same legislation later.  Even the
most staunch liberal historians agree that Hoover was eucherd
in this deal.
T. C. Wheeler

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (11/06/85)

In article <362@whuts.UUCP> orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:

>Is it nonsensical to suggest that our nation is standing
>on an economic house of cards- placed in that position in no
>small measure because of the rampant fiscal irresponsibility
>of the Reagan administration?

But isn't the legislative power, and therefore the fiscal responsibility,
invested in Congress? The president, I believe, has no legislative power,
except to veto bills originated by Congress. If my assumption is true,
then to blame Reagan, Carter, or ANY president for economic conditions
is misplacing the blame. (If my assumption is false, please refute it.)

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
Any person, living or dead, found with the same or similar opinions
will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.)

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (11/06/85)

>>. . . .  the rampant fiscal irresponsibility
>>of the Reagan administration . . . . [Sevener]
>
>But isn't the legislative power, and therefore the fiscal responsibility,
>invested in Congress? The president, I believe, has no legislative power,
>except to veto bills originated by Congress. If my assumption is true,
>then to blame Reagan, Carter, or ANY president for economic conditions
>is misplacing the blame. (If my assumption is false, please refute it.)
>[Dave Kirby]

Indeed, the "power of the purse" is vested in the House of
Representatives.  (Please read the Constitution before arguing this
point.)  Only the House may originate money bills.  Such bills, of
course, must also be approved by the Senate and signed by the
President, but they *must* *start* in the House.  If the House doesn't
vote to spend the money, the Senate and the President can't spend a
penny.

If you want to curb the "rampant fiscal irresponsibility" of your
elected representatives, demand the line-item veto!

		charli

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (11/07/85)

> For the record, military spending does not exceed outlays for "social
> spending".  Data for the following table was obtained from the US
> Statistical Abstract, 1984, p.316; the numbers indicate acutal outlays in
> millions of dollars. [billions, surely not millions]
>
> 		                        1980    1983
> 				       -----   -----
> 		National Defense       135.9   214.8
> 		Vet.Benefits            21.2    24.4
> 		Total Military         157.1   239.2
> 		% of total outlays      27.2    29.7
>
> 		Income Security        193.1   282.5
> 		Health                  55.2    82.4
> 		Education               30.8    26.7
> 		Total Social Spending  279.1   391.6
> 		% of total outlays      48.4    48.6
>
> Scott Renner
> {pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

OK, let's use the 1985 *Economic Report of the President* and then more
carefully consider our categories.  The big problem above is the Income
Security category, in which Scott is lumping together Social Security,
Medicare, and the Income Security program per se.  Now, the money for
Social Security and Medicare do NOT come out of the general coffers of
the Fed but come out of the Social Security fund.  Budget receipts for
social insurance taxes continue to outpace the spending on Social Security
and Medicare (see table B-71).  The figures below are in billions of dollars
not adjusted for inflation, and the 1985-6 figures are estimates.

			1976	1980	1983	1984	1985	1986
			----	----	----	----	----	----
National Defense	 89.6	134.0	209.9	227.4	253.8	285.7
Net Interest on Debt	 26.7	 52.5	 89.8	111.1	130.4	142.6
Total			116.3	186.5	299.7	338.5	384.2	428.3

			1976	1980	1983	1984	1985	1986
			----	----	----	----	----	----
Education		 18.9	 31.8	 26.6	 27.6	 30.4	 29.3
Health			 15.7	 23.2	 28.6	 30.4	 33.9	 34.9
Income Security		 60.8	 86.5	122.6	112.7	127.2	115.8
Veterans Benefits	 18.4	 21.2	 24.8	 25.6	 26.9	 26.8
Total			113.8	162.7	202.6	196.3	218.4	206.8

Much leftist propaganda on defense spending includes the total amount of
the interest on the national debt as defense spending.  I'll let the
reader judge for herself.  Most also include veterans benefits under
national defense spending, but I think of it more as a form of income
security (although it can be argued both ways).  There are also all sort
of other small expenditures that one can lump into the second column.

Now, it's not so much the absolute figures that matter, but look at the
trends indicated above -- defense and interest spending are rising much
more dramatically than social spending, leaving social security and
medicare aside.

Perhaps more telling are the figures on government purchases of goods
and services (see table B-2).  Just for fun, let's throw in figures
on the civilian unemployment rate and the capacity utilization rate.
The dollar figures are in billions of 1972 dollars.

			1976	1980	1983	1984
			----	----	----	----
Defense purchases	 64.9	 70.0	 84.7	 89.5
Non-defense purchases	 31.8	 36.4	 31.5	 32.9
Civilian unemployment	 7.7%	 7.1%	 9.6%	 7.5%
Capacity utilization	80.4%	80.2%	75.3%	81.6%

Expenditures for defense related goods and services has increased by
38% from 1976 to 1984 while that for non-defense stuff has increased by
only 3.5%.

What think y'all?

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of any other

renner@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/08/85)

>  ...you know very well that you are greatly confusing the issue by
>  including Social Security as part of "social spending".  ... Social
>  Security is not even a part of the Federal budget as such but
>  technically is an independent trust fund to which people pay every
>  year for their retirement like any other pension fund.
>  			-- tim sevener (orb@whuxn)

Oh no, not the old "Social Security isn't social spending, it's a pension
fund" argument.

Social Security is not an insurance program or a pension fund -- no matter
what people in Congress call it.  If SS were either of these, then the
"contributions" you pay now would be invested and held until you began to
draw benefits from the fund.  But this doesn't happen.  The money in the SS
trust fund is negligible compared to the obligations of the system.  What
actually happens is that the money you pay now is *immediately* paid out to
someone who has already retired.  Where will *your* money come from?  When
you retire, somebody else will be working, and the SS people will take his
money and give it to you.

[If you still cling to the belief that SS *is* a pension system, try this
experiment:  Imagine a person retiring today at age 65.  Imagine that this
person has paid the maximum SS tax since age 18.  How long before this
person's benefits exceed the total tax paid?  Answer: about three years.]

Social Security works exactly like any other "social spending" program:  it
gives money to individuals to further a social goal considered worthwhile
by Congress.  The difference is that (a) the beneficiaries are *old* people,
not *poor* people, and (b) that the money comes primarily from payroll
taxes.  Poor people end up losers with SS for several reasons, but that
just means that Congress doesn't dare admit how the program really works,
even to fix it.

Hey, don't take my word for it.  Find out for yourself.  Find someone who
runs a pension fund and knows how pension funds work.  Ask them if SS is
run the same way as other pension funds.  Ask them if SS uses the same
accouting techniques as they do.  Ask them what would happen to someone who
tried to start a private pension fund running the same way as SS.  [The
answers will be "no", "no", and "they will go to jail."]

Scott Renner
ihnp4!uiucdcs!renner

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (11/08/85)

> Well, back to form.  Sevener, your full of bull.  Having gotten'
> that out of the way, I would suggest that you take off the
> blinders and examine the world around you.  In the first place,
> your remarks concerning Social Security and Income Security
> are mixing apples and oranges.  They do not mean the same thing.
> Social spending does NOT include social security payments.
> Look it up.

The figures posted which are under contention WERE mixing apples and oranges,
not Mr. Sevener (who, like most bulls, has alot of balls).  The figures
posted by the original poster for Income Security were actually
Income Security + Social Security + Medicare.  Look it up.
[in a recent *Economic Report of the President*.]

> Even the
> most staunch liberal historians agree that Hoover was eucherd [euchred]
> in this deal.
> T. C. Wheeler

Wow, I've finally found something that I have in common with el sen~or
Wheeler -- euchre!  Truly a great game...anybody for a pbm game?

J. D. Myers

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (11/09/85)

--------------
> [Scott Renner]
> Oh no, not the old "Social Security isn't social spending, it's a pension
> fund" argument.
> [Argument that Soc. Sec. is social spending (omitted for brevity)]
--------------
Scott Renner's facts are correct.  Social security is vastly different than a
pension fund, and has many characteristics of social welfare spending.
However, I think Scott misses the context of Tim's point, which I think is
also correct.  The general public THINKS that Social Security is a pension plan
for them, and does not view it as social spending, which they associate with
poor people and minorities.  Thus when anyone lumps Social Security in
with social welfare spending figures when speaking to the public, they
are at best misleading the public unless they specifically and clearly indicate
that they are including Social Security.  Actually, I would say they are either
ignorant or lying through their teeth.  But that's politics.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan