[net.politics] Social Security vs Social Welfare

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (11/05/85)

> >  Ronald Reagan has spent over $1 trillion on the military during his
> >  administration, far more than combined outlays for "social spending".
> >  For your information, Mr. Wheeler, "social spending" is usually not
> >  defined as money for the Weather Bureau, the Parks System,
> >  federal highways, etc. but money for various welfare programs.
> >				-- Tim Sevener (orb@whuts)
>
> Tim makes this claim from time to time, and it doesn't seem to matter that
> I usually post statistics which show that it's utter nonsense.  I wish Tim
> would get a copy of the *US Statistical Abstract* and look this up for
> himself each time he gets the urge to post an article about the federal
> budget.
>
> For the record, military spending does not exceed outlays for "social
> spending".  Data for the following table was obtained from the US
> Statistical Abstract, 1984, p.316; the numbers indicate acutal outlays in
> millions of dollars.
> 		                        1980    1983
> 				       -----   -----
> 		National Defense       135.9   214.8
> 		Vet.Benefits            21.2    24.4
> 		Total Military         157.1   239.2
> 		% of total outlays      27.2    29.7
>
> 		Income Security        193.1   282.5
> 		Health                  55.2    82.4
> 		Education               30.8    26.7
> 		Total Social Spending  279.1   391.6
> 		% of total outlays      48.4    48.6
>
> 1980 is of course the last full Carter year.  The figures for 1983 are
> estimates in the Abstract; other sources (Congressional Quarterly, Feb. 4,
> 1984, pp.206-7) indicate that the actual figures for the military are
> *lower*, and actual figures for social spending are *much higher*).
> The budgets of the weather bureau, parks system, federal highways, etc. do
> not appear anywhere in the table.
> Scott Renner

Scott you know very well that you are greatly confusing the issue by
including Social Security as part of "social spending".
When most Americans talk of "social spending" I do not think that
they consider Social Security as a part of that.  Most Americans
think of "social spending" as first off welfare (i.e. Aid to Families
with Dependent Children, Food Stamps), and then perhaps such things
as Medicare, Medicaid, and education.
Social Security is not even a part of the Federal budget as such but
technically is an independent trust fund to which people pay every year
for their retirement like any other pension fund.  Savings for
retirement or disability, whether forced by the government, by a
corporation, or any other organization, can hardly be considered
in the same class as welfare programs.  Welfare programs are deliberate
subsidies to those with lower incomes.  Pension funds, such as Social
Security, are established and maintained by workers' own contributions
and are as much a part of the remuneration for a job as the weekly
paycheck.  The money paid out is partially based upon the money
paid in and the amount of quarters worked.

By including the government sponsored Social Security pension fund
you can therefore create the impression that subsidies to the poor
are enormous and the largest part of the federal budget.
This is patently false and I hope you will cease making such
misleading comparisons.  Such a comparison would be like corporations
claiming that their "philanthropy" includes corporate pension funds
(which include much larger pensions for executives than ordinary
workers), so that they are practically giving away all their profits.
It is more accurate to either
   1)totally exclude the Social Security Trust Fund
    OR
   2)explicitly note it as a special category independent of
     "Income Security"- which lumps a worker paid pension fund
      with actual welfare subsidies to the poor
    thank you,
               tim sevener   whuxn!orb

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (11/06/85)

> Scott you know very well that you are greatly confusing the issue by
> including Social Security as part of "social spending".
> When most Americans talk of "social spending" I do not think that
> they consider Social Security as a part of that.  Most Americans
> think of "social spending" as first off welfare (i.e. Aid to Families
> with Dependent Children, Food Stamps), and then perhaps such things
> as Medicare, Medicaid, and education.
> Social Security is not even a part of the Federal budget as such but
> technically is an independent trust fund to which people pay every year
> for their retirement like any other pension fund.  Savings for
> retirement or disability, whether forced by the government, by a
> corporation, or any other organization, can hardly be considered
> in the same class as welfare programs.

     If social security *were* government forced savings for retirement,
then I wouldn't consider it social spending.  But that's not what social
security is.  In reality, as I'm sure Sevener is well aware of, the
government collects funds from working people and transfers them to
retired or disabled people immediately.  This sounds *awfully* similar
to other forms of social spending.
> subsidies to those with lower incomes.  Pension funds, such as Social
> Security, are established and maintained by workers' own contributions
> and are as much a part of the remuneration for a job as the weekly
> paycheck.  The money paid out is partially based upon the money
> paid in and the amount of quarters worked.
>
> By including the government sponsored Social Security pension fund
> you can therefore create the impression that subsidies to the poor
> are enormous and the largest part of the federal budget.
> This is patently false and I hope you will cease making such
> misleading comparisons.  Such a comparison would be like corporations
> claiming that their "philanthropy" includes corporate pension funds
> (which include much larger pensions for executives than ordinary
> workers), so that they are practically giving away all their profits.
> It is more accurate to either
>    1)totally exclude the Social Security Trust Fund
>     OR
>    2)explicitly note it as a special category independent of
>      "Income Security"- which lumps a worker paid pension fund
>       with actual welfare subsidies to the poor
>     thank you,
>                tim sevener   whuxn!orb

Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
    "What would Captain Kirk say?"

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (11/07/85)

>>             Data for the following table was obtained from the US
>> Statistical Abstract, 1984, p.316; the numbers indicate acutal outlays in
>> millions of dollars.

Adding some calculations not included in the previous two postings, yields:

                                                     CALCULATIONS
                                                   ----------------
>> 		                        1980    1983     AMOUNT   PERCENT
>>                               -----   -----     ------   -------
>> 		National Defense       135.9   214.8      +78.9    +58.1%
>> 		Vet.Benefits            21.2    24.4      + 3.2    +15.1%
>> 		Total Military         157.1   239.2      +82.1    +52.3%
>> 		% of total outlays      27.2    29.7      + 2.5%   ------
>>
>> 		Income Security        193.1   282.5      +89.4    +46.3%
>> 		Health                  55.2    82.4      +27.2    +49.3%
>> 		Education               30.8    26.7      - 4.1    -13.3%
>> 		Total Social Spending  279.1   391.6     +112.5    +40.3%
>> 		% of total outlays      48.4    48.6      + 0.2%   ------

ALTERNATIVE VIEWPOINT:
----------------------                               CALCULATIONS
                                                   ----------------
>> 		                        1980    1983     AMOUNT   PERCENT
>>                               -----   -----     ------   -------
>> 		National Defense       135.9   214.8      +78.9    +58.1%
>> 		Vet.Benefits            21.2    24.4      + 3.2    +15.1%
>> 		Total Military         157.1   239.2      +82.1    +52.3%
>> 		% of total outlays      27.2    29.7      + 2.5%   ------
>>
>> 		Health                  55.2    82.4      +27.2    +49.3%
>> 		Education               30.8    26.7      - 4.1    -13.3%
   		Total Social Spending   86.0   109.1      +23.1    +26.9%
   		% of total outlays      14.9    13.5      - 1.4%   ------

                        DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS!

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (11/07/85)

>  From Jeff Sonntag:
>      If social security *were* government forced savings for retirement,
> then I wouldn't consider it social spending.  But that's not what social
> security is.  In reality, as I'm sure Sevener is well aware of, the
> government collects funds from working people and transfers them to
> retired or disabled people immediately.  This sounds *awfully* similar
> to other forms of social spending.

It is *not* similar to other forms of social spending.  In order to
be eligible for social security you must have paid into Social Security
for a certain number of quarters of your working life.  Those people
who have worked all their lives and dutifully paid into the Social
Security have every right to the pension they have paid for.
Moreover this is often the *only* protection some people have,
particularly those with lower incomes and less ability to save
voluntarily, for some sort of pension at retirement.

There are some major problems with the way that many corporate pension
programs work.  If you get laid off and are forced to work somewhere
else your private pension is usually untransferable.  Social Security
remains in effect wherever you work, so long as payments are made
into the Social Security Trust Fund.
Many corporations unfortunately engage in the practice of deliberately
laying off older employees as they approach their retirement so
they are not forced to pay the full benefits they would otherwise
have to pay if those workers remained in the company until their
retirement.  This is frequently done to engineers and others with
technical skills which become considered *obsolescent*.  Younger
workers fresh out of college are assumed to be more up-to-date and
also to be a lot cheaper given that they have not accumulated the vacation
days, and salaries of older workers at the same time they do not
present the same potential costs in terms of imminent full-fledged
retirement benefits.
Nor are corporations (*or* unions!) immune to using pension funds for
other uses besides simply paying workers' retirement.  The New York
Times Business Section just had an article on corporations use of
pension funds for their own investments and purposes.  I believe there
is something approaching $400 billion controlled by pension funds
in today's economy.  That is a lot of money to have to use for capital
leverage.

The fact that current payments to Social Security are used to pay
retirement benefits to current retirees is a potential problem
for the Social Security system as the very large baby boom population
comes to retirement to be supported by a much smaller generation of
younger workers.
But this problem and this practice is no different than that used by
banks, insurance companies or other pension and disability funds.

-tim sevener  whuxn!orb

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (11/08/85)

Wrong again, Sevener.  You say that private pensions are not
transferable. Better catch up on your reading.  The fact is
is that private pensions ARE transferable by law since about
1977.  That' Federal Law.
T. C. Wheeler

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (11/08/85)

I'd worry a lot less about Social Security if
people were only allowed to take out what they
put in (plus "interest").  As it is, there are
quite a few who draw funds far in excess of what's
been put in.

I'm perfectly capable of doing my retirement saving
on my own, thank you.

			Scott Berry

mcgeer@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Rick McGeer) (11/09/85)

In article <784@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>>  From Jeff Sonntag:
>>      If social security *were* government forced savings for retirement,
>> then I wouldn't consider it social spending.  But that's not what social
>> security is.  In reality, as I'm sure Sevener is well aware of, the
>> government collects funds from working people and transfers them to
>> retired or disabled people immediately.  This sounds *awfully* similar
>> to other forms of social spending.
>
>It is *not* similar to other forms of social spending.  In order to
>be eligible for social security you must have paid into Social Security
>for a certain number of quarters of your working life.  Those people
>who have worked all their lives and dutifully paid into the Social
>Security have every right to the pension they have paid for.
>Moreover this is often the *only* protection some people have,
>particularly those with lower incomes and less ability to save
>voluntarily, for some sort of pension at retirement.

Sevener, you never fail to amaze me.  I didn't think that anyone other than
Tip O'Spendit could actually spout that propaganda with a straight face.
OK.  (1) Nobody currently receiving social security paid into the program
anything like what they're getting out.  The relationship between payments
made and benefits received is essentially nonexistent.  Those currently
receiving benefits have contributed a small fraction of the amount they
receive.  Second.  At no time did the US government contract for any
particular level of benefits -- the benefits are those mandated by
Congress from time to time.  Hence not only do those receiving SS not have
a moral claim to the level of benefits they receive, they don't have a legal
one, either.

Social Security may be the single most odious program the US Federal Government
runs.  It is not so much a pension plan as a ponzi scheme, and it is as
singularly successful as the latter as it is unsuccessful as the former.  It
is a poor social program, as well: it transfers from the poor to the rich,
from the working to the idle, and from the young to the old.  Milton
Friedman points out that it is a genius for political salesmanship that a
program which consists of a regressive tax and a welfare-for-the-rich scheme
(neither of which, obviously, would have flown alone) has been turned into
the most popular political program of the century.

>There are some major problems with the way that many corporate pension
>programs work.  If you get laid off and are forced to work somewhere
>else your private pension is usually untransferable.  Social Security
>remains in effect wherever you work, so long as payments are made
>into the Social Security Trust Fund.

IRAs have the same advantage, as do other private (non-corporate) pension
plans.

>Many corporations unfortunately engage in the practice of deliberately
>laying off older employees as they approach their retirement so
>they are not forced to pay the full benefits they would otherwise
>have to pay if those workers remained in the company until their
>retirement.  This is frequently done to engineers and others with
>technical skills which become considered *obsolescent*.  Younger
>workers fresh out of college are assumed to be more up-to-date and
>also to be a lot cheaper given that they have not accumulated the vacation
>days, and salaries of older workers at the same time they do not
>present the same potential costs in terms of imminent full-fledged
>retirement benefits.

EVIDENCE?

>Nor are corporations (*or* unions!) immune to using pension funds for
>other uses besides simply paying workers' retirement.  The New York
>Times Business Section just had an article on corporations use of
>pension funds for their own investments and purposes.  I believe there
>is something approaching $400 billion controlled by pension funds
>in today's economy.  That is a lot of money to have to use for capital
>leverage.

This is true.  But note how we're now financing the deficit, since the house
won't pass the deficit-cutting package.

>The fact that current payments to Social Security are used to pay
>retirement benefits to current retirees is a potential problem
>for the Social Security system as the very large baby boom population
>comes to retirement to be supported by a much smaller generation of
>younger workers.

Bingo.  I'm 28, and I'll never see a nickel of Social Security. A combination
of extended lifespans and fewer young workers will see Social Security to its
deserved death long before 2022, or whenever it is that I retire -- and I'll
bet that the same demographic forces that kill SS will keep me working well
into my 70s, at least: of course, I'm at the age where that doesn't sound
unattractive.

>But this problem and this practice is no different than that used by
>banks, insurance companies or other pension and disability funds.
>
>-tim sevener  whuxn!orb

The difference is that most such programs are actuarially sound -- and those
that aren't go broke.  SS is run on principles that would make an actuary
puke, and when it goes tits up -- every decade, or thereabouts -- another
generation is stiffed to pay for the mistakes of the past.  One of these days
the con won't fly anymore.

						Rick.

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (11/09/85)

> Sevener, you never fail to amaze me.  I didn't think that anyone other than
> Tip O'Spendit could actually spout that propaganda with a straight face.
> OK.  (1) Nobody currently receiving social security paid into the program
> anything like what they're getting out.  The relationship between payments
> made and benefits received is essentially nonexistent.  Those currently
> receiving benefits have contributed a small fraction of the amount they
> receive.

Statistics?  The statistics quoted should use 1972 dollars, so that
inflation is taken into account.  My Dad's buck in 1935 is a little
different than his buck today.  Both he and I are glad that he is
receiving some of his money back from SS.

> ...It
> is a poor social program, as well: it transfers from the poor to the rich,
> from the working to the idle, and from the young to the old.

Yeah, death to the idle, rich oldsters!  Better not let a Gray Panther
hear you talk, buddy.

> Milton Friedman points out...

Ah, it all becomes clear now.  I heard Friedmanite Chicago School
economic policies pulled a real coup in Chile.  Pretty funny, huh?
Get it, coup in Chile!  Yuk, yuk.  Maybe Rick can tell us how the
Chileans didn't REALLY follow Friedman's policies to explain the failure
of their economy.

> Bingo.  I'm 28, and I'll never see a nickel of Social Security. A combination
> of extended lifespans and fewer young workers will see Social Security to its
> deserved death long before 2022, or whenever it is that I retire -- and I'll
> bet that the same demographic forces that kill SS will keep me working well
> into my 70s, at least: of course, I'm at the age where that doesn't sound
> unattractive.

I'm more worried about nuclear war.  For today's lesson in basic governmental
economics, let's turn to the February 1983 issue of *Monthly Review*.
I sent this article to my conservative parents, and it impressed them.
Let's look at the short term, first.  There are three separate trust funds
set up under the social security system.  Here are some projections of
trust fund assets from the Congressional Budget Office, quoted in the
June 6, 1982 issue of the *New York Times*:

		Assets in Trust Funds in Billions of Dollars

End Year	Old Age and	Disability	Hospital	Combined
		Survivors Ins.	Insurance	Insurance	Funds
1982		 12.6		 6.4		21.0		40.0
1983		  2.8		 6.2		22.1		31.1
1984		-16.6		14.9		21.1		19.4
1985		-33.5		30.2		18.4		15.1
1986		-50.5		50.8		15.7		16.0
1987		-69.1		75.1		10.0		16.0

``All the hue and cry about insolvency stems exclusively from the estimated
negative figures ... in the first column of the above table.  It has no
other basis whatsoever....  One obvious way to straighten out what is
really a very minor difficulty, in spite of the big numbers involved, is
to change the allocation of payroll-tax inflow among the three trust
funds.''  MR, pp. 8-9.

I'm not sure whether anything along this line has been done, but I don't
believe so.  The article goes on to point out that, when the baby boom
generation gets old and needs to collect social security, there won't
be as many children around to support, and thus the overall number of
dependants being supported by society will not change much.  The author
(Jacob Morris) concludes:

``The main purpose of the gross exaggeration of the Social Security
crisis of the twenty-first century is to demoralize the active workers
who pay the current taxes which provide the current benefits for the
retired workers, who are their parents and grandparents.  The crisis-
mongers [like our own Rick] want to drive a wedge between the generations;
they want to weaken the political opposition of the younger workers to the
current attack on the benefits of their parents and grandparents.  But
beyond that the enemies of Social Security want to soften up the many
millions of young workers for a dismantling of the whole system and for
its partial replacement by individual insurance and private company
pensions.''

> The difference is that most such programs are actuarially sound -- and those
> that aren't go broke.  SS is run on principles that would make an actuary
> puke, and when it goes tits up -- every decade, or thereabouts -- another
> generation is stiffed to pay for the mistakes of the past.  One of these days
> the con won't fly anymore.
>
> 						Rick.

Well, let's look at the actual input and output from the three funds
in recent years.  These figures are from table B-71 of the 1985
*Economic Report of the President*, a book every budding Friedmanite
should own (I got my copy for $1.50) (figures below are in billions):

		76	80	81	82	83	84	85	86
		----	----	----	----	----	----	----	----
Receipts	90.8	157.8	182.7	201.5	209.0	241.7	268.4	289.4
Outlays		89.7	150.6	178.7	202.5	223.3	235.7	257.4	269.4

The 85 and 86 figures are, of course, projections.  Note how the trend
corroborates the figures given in the *Times* article of 1982.  Good job,
Rick -- your lack of skill as a truthsayer is rivaled only by your
sexism (tits up, indeed).

Por la defensa de la verdad, jeff myers

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (11/11/85)

In article <10936@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> Rick McGeer writes:

>Social Security may be the single most odious program the US Federal
>Government runs.  It is not so much a pension plan as a ponzi scheme,
>and it is as singularly successful as the latter as it is
>unsuccessful as the former.  It is a poor social program, as well: it
>transfers from the poor to the rich, from the working to the idle,
>and from the young to the old.  Milton Friedman points out that it is
>a genius for political salesmanship that a program which consists of
>a regressive tax and a welfare-for-the-rich scheme (neither of which,
>obviously, would have flown alone) has been turned into the most
>popular political program of the century.

Friedman characteristically overlooks the possibility that the
popularity of the program may be due to a widely shared consensus in
favor of the ideal that Social Security represents, so he must invent
imaginary political supersalesmen to explain its popularity.  The
ideal is communal provision of a subsistence for those who are not
able to work or who have lost their source of support:  the elderly,
survivors, and the disabled.  Communal provision was not invented by
the New Deal; every society has practiced some form of it.  Social
Security was instituted during the New Deal years in order to
facilitate this communal provision, since the need for it was acute.

There are many serious flaws in its implementation, such as the
regressive nature of the taxes.  But by and large people are not
aware of such subtleties, but only that it is supposed to provide
"security" for persons who are deemed to be entitled to it -- as
distinguished from welfare for the poor, who, according to the devout
belief of most Americans, are not owed a living by anyone, certainly
not by Joe Taxpayer.  In other words, J. Taxpayer believes that the
elderly and disabled *deserve* a portion of his income, while the
poor in general do not, although he is sometimes willing to give
charity to the poor, as God gives grace to us undeserving sinners.

Anyone with a serious interest in the effect of government in the US
on the distribution of income and wealth should read Benjamin Page's
book *Who Gets What From Government*.  This is outstanding:  thorough
and well written.  It contains surprises for most readers, but
especially for those who believe that government is engaged in some
kind of massive transfer of wealth from rich to poor in the US.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (11/12/85)

>Social Security may be the single most odious program the US Federal
>Government runs. ...  It is a poor social program, as well: it
>transfers ... from the working to the idle...

Horrors.  The elderly, the disabled, widows, orphans, etc. are not
often called "the idle."

>...and from the young to the old.

What an outrage.  In fact, thanks to Social Security, most of the
aged poor have been raised out of poverty, an accomplishment of which
Americans can be very proud.  It takes some kind of clod to dismiss a
program with this accomplishment to its credit as a mere failure or
scam.

>It transfers from the poor to the rich....

Inaccurate.  For example, in 1974, ~60% of SS payments went to those
with pre-transfer incomes below the poverty line, i.e. to those who
would have been poor without it.  Administrative costs are extremely
low in percentage terms.  However, the redistributive impact of SS is
quite limited.  On average in 1981 it replaced only about 40% of a
worker's pre-retirement income.  And most of the aged who are poor
when they receive SS benefits have previously been middle-class
through most of their lives.

SS smoothes lifetime income streams by forcing people to save while
they are working and paying back money when people retire.  Also,
workers in effect are buying insurance against certain kinds of
poverty, through being disabled, leaving a widowed spouse, or
outliving one's private savings.  The private sector would probably
not provide such insurance (or Medicare either) even though there is
a demand for it (see P. A. Diamond, "A Framework for Social Security
Analysis," J Public Econ 8 (1977): 279-98).  Insurance, rather
obviously I hope, is not a commodity for sale on the open market.

But:  SS does *not* equalize lifetime incomes among income classes.
It is financed by regressive payroll taxes, and workers with
relatively higher incomes tend to receive greater benefits, although
it is true that certain features of SS do not fit the pure insurance
model.  But the SS system cannot continue unless population or
productivity continues to grow fast enough so each generation of
retirees is supported by a larger or more productive group of
workers.  This is the resemblance to a Ponzi game.

>Hence not only do those receiving SS not have a moral claim to
>the level of benefits they receive...

According to libertarians, they don't have a moral claim (a right) to
any benefits at all.  Social Security inspires great wrath and
outrage among libertarians, because it provides at taxpayer expense a
subsistence for the elderly and disabled, and some of those taxpayers
may actually prefer to spend the money in other ways.  This is a
question of one's philosophy of ownership rights and other political
rights.  Unfortunately many libertarians never get this far:  it
doesn't occur to some of them that they must defend, rather than
merely assert, their views on ownership rights, according to which
taxation is of necessity theft and individuals have a right to own
privately the means of production.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (11/13/85)

In article <784@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:

>The fact that current payments to Social Security are used to pay
>retirement benefits to current retirees is a potential problem
>for the Social Security system as the very large baby boom population
>comes to retirement to be supported by a much smaller generation of
>younger workers.
>But this problem and this practice is no different than that used by
>banks, insurance companies or other pension and disability funds.
>
>-tim sevener  whuxn!orb

Totally *false*.  All pension funds/annutities are operated on an
actuarial basis.  They certainly do not operate by paying
off the retirees with current payments.
--

Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicomed!meccts!mvs