[net.politics] One for ...

pmw@philabs.UUCP (Peter M. Wagner) (11/06/85)

  The discussion about the name "Americans" shows that there is no name for
citizens of the United States of America! The lack of a name goes hand in hand
with a lack of culture and history. Let's wait a couple of hundred years;
perhaps we will find a name.

>The full name of the US is "The United States of America".  As far as I
>know, we are the only country whose name contains the name "America".
>Just as residents of The Commonwealth of Virginia call themselves
>"Virginians" and residents of The Republic of West Germany (I think
>that's its full name, please don't flame at me if I am wrong) call
>themselves "West Germans", residents of "The US of America" can call
>themselves Americans.  Indeed, some other collection of states could
>unite themselves, and they might be The United States of Foobar; they
>would call themselves "Foobarians", not "Unitedstatesians", just as West
>Germans do not call themselves "Republicans".

There is the Federal Republic of Germany  (some people call it West Germany)
and there is the Democratic Republic of Germany (East Germany).

Being a citizen of the Federal Republic of Germany I object being called West
German! There exist two seperate states. But there is only one
nationality (German). So people in both Germanys call themself Germans or
citizen of ....

-peter wagner
pmw@philabs.uucp
philabs!pmw@seismo.arpa

robinson@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (11/13/85)

In article <497@philabs.UUCP> pmw@philabs.UUCP (Peter M. Wagner) writes:

>  The discussion about the name "Americans" shows that there is no name for
>citizens of the United States of America! The lack of a name goes hand in hand
>with a lack of culture and history. Let's wait a couple of hundred years;
>perhaps we will find a name.
>
>There is the Federal Republic of Germany  (some people call it West Germany)
>and there is the Democratic Republic of Germany (East Germany).
>
>Being a citizen of the Federal Republic of Germany I object being called West
>German! There exist two seperate states. But there is only one
>nationality (German). So people in both Germanys call themself Germans or
>citizen of ....

Given the choice between Germany's recent history and America's "lack of
history", I think I'll take the latter, thank you.

J.B. Robinson

P.S. Gee, and all this time I thought that that snobbish European attitude
     to the US in particular and North America in general was just another
     of them thar nasty stereotypes. Silly me.