[net.politics] Porn and Violence: a Social Disease

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (09/08/85)

I wondered how long it would take for a pornography debate to start again.
Well, now that it has, here are my to scrip.

First, I won't agrue with the statistics that link Porn and violence.
I admit that there is a noticeable connection, which I abhor personally.
Second, I won't try to differentiate between Erotica and Pornography.  This
differentiation has the potential to cause more trouble than it cures.  In
too many cases, it is also and artificial distinction, and is unreliable in
any case.

Does this mean that I support anti-Porn legislation?  Not on your life.  Beyond
the simple fact that such a ban would be uneforceable, as both our own
Prohibition period and England's attempts to ban both Pornography and
Prostitution at various times have shown.  Flesh has been, and will be, a
commodity for as long as the human race exists.

So how do I justify the existence of Pornography, even though it does, to an
extent, cause violence, humiliation, and degradation?  Because the
connection between Porn and violence is a symptom, not a cause.  Pornography
does not, in and of itself, cause violent and anti-social behavior towards
women.  I know this because I can look at jay random current issue of Playboy,
Hustler, Penthouse, or whatever, and have feelings ranging from "gee, she
looks like she'd be fun to go to bed with" to "skin.  Wow.  I should call
the president??? (:-)."  Periodically, I'll feel like this or that person
could casually disappear with no loss to society, but that is always because
their appearance and attitude throughout the pictorial, article, whatever is
negative and exploitive (negative connotation intended).  No, Pornography
does not cause violence in any sane, rational human being.  I won't say anything
about mature human beings because they don't exist.  The problem with
Pornography in our society is that there are a large number of individuals
who are not rational, and who have no ingrained compunctions against violence.
Most Men (and Women, for that matter) have Submission/Domination fantasies,
of one variety or another.  However, they have an ingrained set of restraints
which prevents them from ever acting these out, or at least prevents senseless
violence.  These tend to fall under the Judeo-Christian-Moslem ethic that
"Violence is not an appropriate means to gain self-gratification."  This ethic
itself relates to all forms of crime.  The problem then, divides itself.  We
have three basic groups of people to deal with: those who have the restraints
and live within them;  Those who feel that they are doing something wrong but
step out of bounds anyway;  And those who simply have not had the basic
restraints, generally known as "morals" or "ethics", ingrained in them.
The first group we can ignore;  They do not respond to Porn with violence, and
are therefore out of the equation.  The second group I would deem to be either
non-rational (a curable condition -- This describes the guy who suddenly
flips one day and rapes someone), or to be in actuality a member of the third
group who is vaguely aware of the restraints, but not to the degree which
could control his behavior.  The third group is the biggest problem.  These
are the people who can casually rape, kill, tortue, etc. without feeling
that they are doing anything wrong.  They may think, or say, "I know I shouldn't
have done it," but they don't *feel* it.  These are people who have been
wronged by society, one the one hand.  On the other, they are a group of
people which should be kept off the streets at all cost.  They have been
wronged in the sense that the programming which should have been given to
them as children was not, or was given imperfectly, and as a result of this
they cannot be allowed to live in society, nor are they psychologically able
to function in society.  They simply don't have any basis for common
understanding with the rest of society.  The problem is, how do we identify
and deal with this group in a manner that will not abridge our (or their)
civil liberties?  In terms of identification, I would suggest that we need
to become far more versed in the psychological arts, so that situations
where "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" is a real story, but felons opt
for the insanity defense but go free in two years, do not occur.

Unfortunately I don't know how to accomplish this.  I do know that far
to much of the world population is very sick.  Much of this has to do
with population pressure trying to deal with itself.  However, I do know
that banning Pornography, or Guns, or Alchohol, or any other nice, simple,
obvious solution, will not work.  We'll be removing the tumor but leaving
the cancer virus that caused it in the first place.  And unless we deal
with it, at the very least this society is doomed.  I just hope that
interstellar colonization becomes viable before civilization collapses
around our ears.  It may be a cop out, but I'm taking the first slow boat
out.  (Hey all you richardt haters: here's your chance to get rid of me! :-)

				orstcs!richardt
				"The Apparition"
Richard Threadgill
104 S 20th 		<-- SnailMail address soon to be changed
Philomath Or 97370

"All of them are in tune, the ones who really love you,
	walk together outside the wall
 Some hand in hand,
	Some gathered together in bands;
 The bleeding hearts, and the artists
	Make their stand
 And when they've given you their all,
	Some stagger and fall
 After all, it's not easy,
	Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall"
			-Pink Floyd, "The "Wall"

charliep@polaris.UUCP (Charlie Perkins) (11/16/85)

-- Just in case it is not perfectly obvious, I am not involved in any
   fashion whatsoever with promulgating official IBM policies concerning
   sex or pornography, and my opinions are not likely to resemble those
   policies if they do in fact exist. --

In article <13700017@orstcs.UUCP> richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) writes:
>					    Flesh has been, and will be, a
>commodity for as long as the human race exists.

I strongly disagree with this.  One day, we can hope for and strive toward,
sex will become a normal, healthy activity for responsible people instead
of the misunderstood and abused trickery it is for so many now.
I believe that before that day comes, some of our society's deeply
ingrained characteristics will have to change, for instance:
1. The idea of sex as a possessive ritual.
2. The pickup games.
3. The likelihood of being manipulated or abused.
4. The criminalization of sex between consenting adults.
5. The idea that sex is what happens between foreplay and afterplay.
6. The religious taboos surrounding sex.
7. The paranoia about homosexuality.
8. The use of fuck as a dirty word.

>Most Men (and Women, for that matter) have Submission/Domination fantasies,
>of one variety or another.

I find this somewhat difficult to believe.  Can you provide any substantiation?

>						     I do know that far
>too much of the world population is very sick.  Much of this has to do
>with population pressure trying to deal with itself.

If indeed the world population has cancerous problems regarding sex (how
this was determined I am not sure) I don't imagine that population
pressure is the underlying problem although it certainly exacerbates
things.  I think that the major problems have been ignorance and fear.
Fear, for instance, that a potential partner would be emotionally (or
physically, even) abusive.  This fear is, of course, well-grounded given
America's present culture.  Religion and other sorts of abdication of
personal responsibility are also culprits.  For example, I am disgusted
that certain rapes are defended on the grounds that the woman
involved teased the rapist beyond his ability to control himself.

--

I've said this before, but I am constantly dismayed by the frequent
attempts to cure the sexual problems of society by banning pornography

Charlie Perkins, IBM T.J. Watson Research	philabs!polaris!charliep,
		perk%YKTVMX.BITNET@berkeley,  perk.yktvmx.ibm@csnet-relay