[net.politics] Fiscal Irresponsibility and the Line-Item Veto

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (11/07/85)

> >>. . . .  the rampant fiscal irresponsibility
> >>of the Reagan administration . . . . [Sevener]
> >
> >But isn't the legislative power, and therefore the fiscal responsibility,
> >invested in Congress? The president, I believe, has no legislative power,
> >except to veto bills originated by Congress. If my assumption is true,
> >then to blame Reagan, Carter, or ANY president for economic conditions
> >is misplacing the blame. (If my assumption is false, please refute it.)
> >[Dave Kirby]
>
> Indeed, the "power of the purse" is vested in the House of
> Representatives.  (Please read the Constitution before arguing this
> point.)  Only the House may originate money bills.  Such bills, of
> course, must also be approved by the Senate and signed by the
> President, but they *must* *start* in the House.  If the House doesn't
> vote to spend the money, the Senate and the President can't spend a
> penny.
>
> If you want to curb the "rampant fiscal irresponsibility" of your
> elected representatives, demand the line-item veto!
>
> 		charli

The Constitution states that the House originates money bills.  However
because the executive branch is entrusted with administering the laws
and the various departments which perform their functions it is
the President who has presented budget proposals for the various
departments of government since the beginning of our country.
Once presented with the budget proposed by the President, the Congress
can and always does amend it in various ways.  But the basic tenor
of the budget is set by the President and the executive branch since
all Cabinet Departments are under the authority of the President
and present their budget requests to him.  Only recently did the
Congress establish the Congressional Budget Office directly under
Congress' authority to examine and calculate budget requests and
economic estimates.  Even so this small office is dwarfed by the
resources for budget analysis possessed by all the other Cabinet
Departments under the President's authority.  Therefore the
responsibility for making reasonable budget requests in the first
place rests with the President.

As I have already pointed out, 95% of President Reagan's budget
requests have been approved by Congress.  Moreover the changes
made by Congress have generally *reduced* Reagan's original
budget proposal, not *increased* those requests.

It was *Reagan* who proposed and pushed very hard with the help
of special interest groups for the tax cuts in 1981 which have
been a major factor in the current deficit.

It was *Reagan* who has proposed and spent already over $1 trillion
(yes, TRILLION) on every new weapon system the Pentagon could dream
up.  Indeed *Reagan* has proposed to spend much more, only Congress
has restrained those requests to a limited extent.
That $1 trillion has cost every child, woman , and man in this
country approximately $4348- aren't there better things you
could imagine doing with $4348 than building yet more missile silos,
bombers and nuclear warheads?

Congress is indeed responsible for failing to stop this fiscal
irresponsiblity on Reagan's part.  But Reagan is responsible
for initiating it and pressuring Congress in every way to
go along with it.  The problem is *not* as Reagan would have it
those in Congress who have refused to go along with him.
The problem is those in Congress who have *continued to go along
with him* and approve 95% of his exorbitant budget requests.
     tim sevener  whuxn!orb

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (11/15/85)

>That $1 trillion has cost every child, woman , and man in this
>country approximately $4348- aren't there better things you
>could imagine doing with $4348 than building yet more missile silos,
>bombers and nuclear warheads?
>
>Congress is indeed responsible for failing to stop this fiscal
>irresponsiblity on Reagan's part.  But Reagan is responsible
>for initiating it and pressuring Congress in every way to
>go along with it.  The problem is *not* as Reagan would have it
>those in Congress who have refused to go along with him.
>The problem is those in Congress who have *continued to go along
>with him* and approve 95% of his exorbitant budget requests.
>     tim sevener  whuxn!orb

	I love the way everybody blames Regan for the current defense
spending.  If that Bleeding-heart-liberal bozo named Carter hadn't
played hack and slash for 4 years ,and if congress hadn't sat around
with it's head up it's ass for the past 13 years (since 1972) We would
not have to make these massive defense outlays all at once!  A case in
point: The erstwhile congressman from New York (Addabbo(sp?), I think)
FORCED THE AIR FORCE TO BUY ADDITIONAL A-10 ATTACK AIRCRAFT AT BETWEEN
8 AND 12 MILLION APIECE when the Air Force said that they had enough of
them, and really didn't need anymore !!!!  The reason?  To keep a
factory in his home district open. Never mind that this money could have
been used other places and/or purposes.... Can YOU say "Pork-Barrell"???

	Tim, when you say congress approved 95% of Reagan's requests,
was that by number of requests, or $??? Here we are, sitting back with
what probably amounts to the number 3 Armed Services in the world, faced
with bozos that have openly declared "WE WILL BURY YOU!" and people are
to blind to see that we have to maintain a strong defense.

--
     --Stormcrow		o
			        |    |  |

Never sit with your   		|
back facing a window		|
or door.			o  	     [Standard Disclaimer applies]

		--- Lazarus Long.

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (11/17/85)

In article <344@dolqci.UUCP> mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:

> If that Bleeding-heart-liberal bozo named Carter hadn't
>played hack and slash for 4 years
	Well no wonder Carter never got anything useful done! I didn't know
he played hack. By the way, what is slash? I looked in /usr/games on our
system and couldn't find it.

>--
>     --Stormcrow		o
>			        |    |  |
>				|    |  |
>			        |___/   |
>Never sit with your   		|
>back facing a window		|
>or door.			o  	     [Standard Disclaimer applies]
>
>		--- Lazarus Long.

Cloyd Goodrum III