[net.politics] defense spending

dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) (11/20/85)

[]

In article: <824@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>Dave Olson seems to feel that all we have to do to solve
>problems of National Security (and the survival of this
>planet and the human race) is throw more and more money
>into nuclear weapons and the military. He states:

>> My objection is also with people who claim that cutting defense will
>> fix the deficit.  If defense was cut back to 1980 levels, it would only
>> cut the deficit by 40%.  Even Jimmy Carter realized that that level of
>> defense was *too low*.  The defense he wanted was even heigher than what
>> Reagan wanted.
>> David Olson

I was under the impression that people with a little more intellect than
that of an over priced carrot would know what I was saying.  I said that
the defense was a small part of the federal budget, and the minor part of
the deficit, and Tim goes into a tirade about nukes!

>   2)former Secretary of Defense McNamara has stated that only *300*
>     nuclear weapons would be enough to totally devastate either country

>   4)In the last five years we have spent over a trillion (yes, *trillion*!)
>     dollars on preparing for War.  Hundreds of billions of that money
>     has been for development of still more nuclear weapons.
>     What has that trillion dollars bought us? Today we have thousands
>     more Soviet nuclear weapons aimed at our throats.  The fact
>     that we may now be able to blow up the Soviets 20 times over instead
>     of 10 does not make me feel one whit safer - they can now blow us
>     up 15 times over instead of 10

In 1980, defense took up about 5% of the nation's GNP.  In 1984, it rose
to about 6.5% of GNP.  When McNamara was Secretary of Defense during the
Kennedy Administration, it was about 9% of GNP.  And that was BEFORE the
US involvement in Viet Nam became hot and heavy.

Tim, I hate nuclear weapons too.  But, do you honestly believe that with
a shoddy defense (with or without them) you would be safe?

Wake up and smell the coffee!

>     tim sevener

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

David Olson
..!ihnp4!drutx!dlo