[net.politics] The free market

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (11/28/85)

Radford Neal writes:

>The postings on this subject seem to me to be singularly unenlightening.

This posting is guaranteed to be a source of enlightenment, or your
money will be cheerfully refunded.

>  1) Limited information is an essential characteristic of the real world.
>     Saying the free market is flawed because not everyone knows everything
>     is silly.

But it is not silly to point out that, because of unequally
distributed information, government intervention can outperform the
free market in some situations.  I'll try to explain how this
happens.

First, I will let George Akerlof explain the point (from his article
in *Quarterly J Econ* 84(3), 1970):

  There are many markets in which buyers use some market statistic to
  judge the quality of prospective purchases.  In this case there is
  incentive for sellers to market poor quality merchandise, since the
  returns for good quality accrue mainly to the entire group whose
  statistic is affected rather than to the individual seller
  [multi-person Prisoner's Dilemma -- RC].  As a result there tends to
  be a reduction in the average quality of goods and also in the size
  of the market.  It should also be perceived that in these markets
  social and private returns differ, and therefore, in some cases,
  governmental intervention may increase the welfare of all parties.
  Or private institutions [guarantees, brand-name goods, chains] may
  arise to take advantage of the potential increases in welfare which
  can accrue to all parties.  By nature, however, these institutions
  are nonatomistic, and therefore concentrations of power -- with ill
  consequences of their own -- can develop.

In order to explain how this happens, we construct a model, using the
automobile market as a convenient illustration.  NB:  This is not
supposed to be a realistic description of how the auto market works.
A MODEL shows what will happen *given a particular set of
assumptions*.  So:

Let there be just four kinds of cars:  new and used cars, and good
cars and lemons.  A new car is either good or a lemon, and the same
is true of used cars.  Individual buyers are assumed to know the
probability  q  that the new car they buy is a good car; the
probability it is a lemon is  (1 - q).  By assumption they don't know
if a particular new car is good; they only know the proportion of
good cars produced, which of course is  q.

But after owning a car for a length of time, the owner can assign a
new, more accurate probability to the event that his car is a lemon.
So the owners of used cars know more about the quality of their cars
than potential buyers.  We are assuming as a hypothesis that it is
impossible for a buyer to tell whether a given car is good or a
lemon; therefore good and bad used cars must sell at the same price.
Now if a used car had the same valuation as a new car, it would be
advantageous for the owner of a probable lemon to trade it at the
price of a new car, and buy a new car, at a higher probability  q  of
being good than the car he just sold.  So the market price of used
cars will be lower than that of new cars, and the owner of a *good*
used car will be locked in:  not only can he not receive the "true"
value of his car (what he could get for it if buyers knew its
quality), but he cannot even obtain the expected value of a new car.

Thus we have a modified version of Gresham's law.  Most cars traded
will be lemons, and good cars may not be traded at all.  Bad cars
drive out the good because they sell at the same price, because a
buyer, by hypothesis, has no way of telling the difference between
good cars and lemons.

So that is the first model.  Akerlof goes on to show that worse
things can happen when we assume that there are different grades of
quality, not just good/bad.  In this case it is possible to have the
bad driving out the third-rate driving out the second-rate driving
out the first-rate, so that eventually no goods will be traded at any
price level.  Utility theory is used to derive this result.

Now how do these models pertain to the real world?  One application
is to insurance.  People over 65 have great difficulty in buying
medical insurance.  Why doesn't the price rise to match the risk?

As the price level rises the people who insure themselves will be
those who are increasingly certain they will need the insurance; it
is easier for the applicant to assess the risks involved than the
insurance company.  So the average medical condition of applicants
deteriorates as the price level rises, so that insurance sales may
not take place at any price; just as the average quality of used cars
supplied fell with a corresponding fall in the price level.  As an
insurance textbook puts it:

  Generally speaking policies are not available at ages materially
  greater than 65.... The term premiums are too high for any but the
  most pessimistic (which is to say the least healthy) insureds to find
  attractive.  [O.D. Dickerson, *Health Insurance*]

The principle at work here is called "adverse selection," and is
potentially present in all lines of insurance.  Akerlof again:

  This adds one major argument in favor of medicare [since insurance
  companies must screen their applicants, especially those who seek
  insurance on their own initiative -- insurance is not a commodity
  available for sale to all buyers].  On a cost benefit basis medicare
  may pay off:  for it is quite possible that every individual in the
  market would be willing to pay the expected cost of his medicare and
  buy insurance, yet no insurance company can afford to sell him a
  policy -- for at any price it will attract too many "lemons."  The
  welfare economics of medicare, in this view, is *exactly* analogous
  to the usual classroom argument for public expenditure on roads.

The same argument may apply to Social Security, conceived as a form
of poverty insurance:  the private sector would not provide it, even
though both buyers and sellers would be better off with it, by
free-market criteria.

Another real-world application concerns the employment of minorities.
Contrary to conservative dogma, the motive of profit maximization may
lead employers to refuse to hire members of minorities for certain
jobs, since ethnic group may serve as a good statistic for the
applicant's quality of education and general job capabilities.  An
employer may make a rational decision not to hire any blacks, say,
for responsible positions:  it may be difficult to distinguish
those with good qualifications from those with poor qualifications
because many of them were educated in inner-city schools whose
certification of students' abilities is deemed unreliable, so that
good grades convey only limited information about job applicants'
abilities.  As George Stigler wrote, "in a regime of ignorance Enrico
Fermi would have been a gardener, Von Neumann a checkout clerk at a
drugstore."  The rewards for good work in slum schools tend to accrue
to the group as a whole, raising its average quality, rather than to
the individual.  So this is an argument for affirmative action that I
can only sketch here:  at least in some circumstances, it can
*increase* the efficiency of the job market, precisely because
information is unequally distributed.

Some other applications of the lemons model:

  Dishonesty in business is a serious problem in underdeveloped
  countries.  Our model gives a possible structure to this statement
  [and permits us to evaluate the costs of dishonesty]....

  Credit markets in underdeveloped countries often strongly reflect the
  operation of the Lemons Principle....

  [An example] ... concerns the extortionate rates which the local
  moneylender charges his clients.  In India these high rates of
  interest have been the leading factor in landlessness.  [The credit
  market is similar to the insurance market.]

Various institutions can arise to reduce quality uncertainty:
guarantees, brand-names, chains (the Howard Johnson's on the
interstate provides a better hamburger than the *average* local
restaurant), and licensing, degrees, and even the Nobel Prize.
Akerlof points out the importance of *trust* in economic
transactions.  Informal unwritten guarantees are preconditions for
production and trade.  Business will suffer where these guarantees
are indefinite or lacking:  the lemons tend to drive out the plums.

I'll try to elaborate on these points and respond to comments when I
have time, which may be very soon indeed, possibly within six months.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (11/30/85)

> Radford Neal writes:
>
> >The postings on this subject seem to me to be singularly unenlightening.
>
> This posting is guaranteed to be a source of enlightenment, or your
> money will be cheerfully refunded.
>
> >  1) Limited information is an essential characteristic of the real world.
> >     Saying the free market is flawed because not everyone knows everything
> >     is silly.
>
> But it is not silly to point out that, because of unequally
> distributed information, government intervention can outperform the
> free market in some situations.  I'll try to explain how this
> happens.

As the following quote admits, you don't in fact explain how government
intervention is necessary:

> First, I will let George Akerlof explain the point (from his article
> in *Quarterly J Econ* 84(3), 1970):
>
>   There are many markets in which buyers use some market statistic to
>   judge the quality of prospective purchases.  In this case there is
>   incentive for sellers to market poor quality merchandise, since the
>   returns for good quality accrue mainly to the entire group whose
>   statistic is affected rather than to the individual seller
>   [multi-person Prisoner's Dilemma -- RC].  As a result there tends to
>   be a reduction in the average quality of goods and also in the size
>   of the market.  It should also be perceived that in these markets
>   social and private returns differ, and therefore, in some cases,
>   governmental intervention may increase the welfare of all parties.

NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

>   Or private institutions [guarantees, brand-name goods, chains] may
>   arise to take advantage of the potential increases in welfare which
>   can accrue to all parties.  By nature, however, these institutions
>   are nonatomistic, and therefore concentrations of power -- with ill
>   consequences of their own -- can develop.

So your own authority says that the market can provide these benefits
also, but that this would be bad for other reasons. What he means by
"nonatomistic" and why he thinks any concentrations of "power" which
the market would develop are worse than concentrations in governments
is unclear from this quote, so I won't attempt a refutation at this time.

> Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

      Radford Neal

nrh@inmet.UUCP (11/30/85)

>/* Written  8:57 pm  Nov 27, 1985 by carnes@gargoyle in inmet:net.politics */
>/* ---------- "Re: The free market" ---------- */

Richard,  Thanks for the nice article:

>This posting is guaranteed to be a source of enlightenment, or your
>money will be cheerfully refunded.

You can keep every cent of MY money!  I found it most enlightening,
but perhaps a little misleading.

>>  1) Limited information is an essential characteristic of the real world.
>>     Saying the free market is flawed because not everyone knows everything
>>     is silly.
>
>But it is not silly to point out that, because of unequally
>distributed information, government intervention can outperform the
>free market in some situations.  I'll try to explain how this
>happens.

>First, I will let George Akerlof explain the point (from his article
>in *Quarterly J Econ* 84(3), 1970):
>[....]
>  be a reduction in the average quality of goods and also in the size
>  of the market.  It should also be perceived that in these markets
>  social and private returns differ, and therefore, in some cases,
>  governmental intervention may increase the welfare of all parties.
>  Or private institutions [guarantees, brand-name goods, chains] may
>  arise to take advantage of the potential increases in welfare which
>  can accrue to all parties.  By nature, however, these institutions
>  are nonatomistic, and therefore concentrations of power -- with ill
>  consequences of their own -- can develop.

Sauce for the goose -- sauce for the gander.  It is *ALSO* true that
governments are nonatomistic.  The rest of your article depends, it
seems to me, on the idea that government's actions would be
benevolent and disinterested.  In your MODEL it is quite true that
government CAN act this way; Real world governments need not act this
way, of course, for the notion that a government CAN act this way to
be supported by your model.

On the other hand, you could have built fairies or elves into
the model and given them the same role.  You would then be safe
from accusations that "Fairies don't REALLY act this way", but the
model would not have carried the implication that government could
be depended on to help in the real world.

Note that I'm NOT saying that you deliberately misinterpreted
anything, merely that your model makes the presumption that the
government is not, in fact, acting the way governments do (for
example, that it's not imposing import quotas, or safety
checks that turn out to be  statistically unrelated to safety).

Given this presumption, yes, a government could aid a market
economy in assigning the prices of cars.  A similar statement on the
part of a rabid free-marketeer would be that folks in a free market  CAN
overcome free rider situations by simply choosing to be reasonable and
pay their share even though nobody can force them to.

In both the used-car situation and in the situation where government
is asked to make ALL private decisions, there's nothing wrong with
saying that a directed economy CAN outperform a free economy; the
government (and the population under it) simply has to be very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,
very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY
lucky.  You don't DEPEND on monkeys at typewriters to write
Shakespeare, neither should you depend on pencil-pushers in Washington
to have your interests, your information, and your dislikes as
perfectly integrated as you do.

And in free-rider situations?  If the government could be given ONLY the
power to deal with these, and only the power to do it well, then government
would indeed be my favorite Uncle.  'Til then....