[net.politics] "Evil Empire and USSR":Re to Jan

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (12/03/85)

Jan, you present a facade of "objectivity" behind which you mask
incredible prejudices.  These prejudices lead you to quite openly
distort obvious facts. For instance:
  I wrote:

> >The latter is typically couched in terms of the "monolithic Communist
> >Conspiracy" in which the Soviets represent a monolithic Communism
> >arrayed against a "free and democratic" West.
>
> >One would think that after China's break with the Soviet Union and
> >Nixon's trip to China that such myths were dead forever.  But they
> >have too much power as  justifications for the military-industrial
> >complex to be discarded.

   Jan responded (can this be believed!!):
> Never heard, or read *anyone* saying that. Reagan's "evil empire"
> rhetoric was specifically directed at the USSR.

WHAT??!! I never heard anyone suggest anything *EXCEPT* that Reagan's
remarks were directed quite specifically at the Soviet Union!
As I recall Reagan specifically said that the "Soviet Union is the
focus of evil in the world." Whether commentators agree or not
(and I have never read either liberal or conservative who disputed
that Reagan was directing his criticism *precisely* at the Soviet Union)
this is what Reagan said.  Moreover in his speech at the UN's 40th
anniversary all Reagan did was essentially blame the Soviets for
every troublespot in the world today.  Including Central America
despite the fact that it is the US which violated international law
by mining Nicaragua's harbor, and despite the fact that it is the
US which is funding terrorists who have been responsible for thousands
of deaths in the last few years.

While Reagan has imposed a total economic embargo on Nicaragua by
executive fiat he refuses to impose any such total embargo on the
admittedly racist regime of South Africa. Indeed when Reagan first
came to office he lifted the ban on export of arms and military
equipment to the racist South African government which Jimmy Carter
had imposed.  And why is it that we must give implicit support to
a racist regime which has illegally occupied territory, which has
invaded its neighbors, which is funding warfare against its black
neighbors in contradiction of its own past agreements with those
nations to stop such raids, which has bombed US owned oil facilities
in Angola?  Because this might allow "Soviet influence"!!!
Like Reagan's buddy Jerry Falwell says, this anti-apartheid movement
is just some Soviet commie conspiracy!  It doesn't matter that in fact
the African National Congress was founded in 1912, 5 years before
the Russian Revolution even took place, the Soviets are behind
*everything*.

There are *reasons* why people revolt: namely poverty, exploitation,
disease, and oppression by their government.
If we did more to solve those problems, there would be no reason
for people to turn to Communism to solve their problems.
People like Falwell, Ronald Reagan and Jack Kemp apparently cannot
understand that.  Unfortunately it seems, neither can Jan.
              tim sevener  whuxn!orb