[net.politics] Items of the Federal Budget: Sevener was right.

dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) (12/06/85)

[]

In article <837@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>I concede victory, Dave.  Indeed, as your figures indubitably
>show, in fact federal income tax receipts did *INDEED* decline.
>Underneath your figures I place figures with very rough
>corrections for inflation of 8% in 1980 and 5% for years
>thereafter.  Actually this is a *conservative* estimate as I
>believe the inflation rate has in fact been higher during
>those years.  Therefore the actual declines in revenue are even
>*worse* than these admittedly very rough estimates:

>> Dave's figures from Budget Office:
>> Year                  1980    1981    1982    1983    1984    1985
>> Individual Income Tax
>> (in $billions)        244.1   285.9   297.7   288.9   296.2   329.7(est.)
> inflation adjusted    244.1   264     261     241     235     249

>There are several points of importance here.  First is to note that *even the
>raw figures* practically show a decline in revenues.  Second, is
>that even with the big jump in revenues projected for 1985, that the
>total revenues adjusted for inflation are still *LESS* than in 1981
>before the tax cuts.

I wouldn't claim any trophies just yet if I were you, Tim.

A publication called the _Statistical_Abstract_of_the_United_States_1985
lists the value of inflation, among other things, for various years.
According to it, inflation averaged about 6.5% between 1980 and 1985.  I
will concede that income tax revenue adjusted for inflation is less than in
1981, but it cannot be blamed on the tax *rate* cuts.

Consider 10 years earlier.  According to the same source, inflation averaged
6.7% between 1970 and 1975.  Federal individual income tax in 1970 was $90.4
billion, and in 1975, it was $122.4 billion.  That means that 1975 income
tax revenues adjusted for inflation was $81.8 billion.  That's less than
the adjustment of $84.5 billion in 1970.

>             tim sevener   whuxn!orb

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

David Olson
..!ihnp4!drutx!dlo