[net.politics] A note to the people of the free world, etc.

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (12/09/85)

[You mean Canada isn't in the free world?]

In article <1945@watdcsu.UUCP> dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:
>"And he won some scholarship to a fancy-dancy prep school up North..."
>What makes it child porn is that a gay character is being described as
>being of prep-school age.
>The fact is there are actively gay men under the age of eighteen.

     Hold on thar!  Sure there are, and also lots of actively straight men
and women under 18.  But if the _Blueboy_ article goes on to describe sexual
acts performed by this person, then that particular sentence may have been
the one which moved the article into the realm of "sex with someone under the
age of consent".
     You *haven't* gone on to describe what else the article said.  I think
any article which glorifies sex with someone under the age of consent should
be censored.  I also think the age of consent used in the definition should be
lowered; maybe that's all you're worried about, David.  (I doubt it)
   [ p.s. I realize that some may think my epigraph below ironic.  But I think
we *can* come up with a definition of kiddie porn that includes works which
glorify and promote sex with children, and excludes one of my favourite books
of all time... ]
   [ p.p.s. I don't read nut.polemics, just posting there because that's the
followup field ]

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"And that is the only immortality that you and I may share, my Lolita"