[net.politics] Whom should we believe?

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (12/10/85)

>In article <417@whuts.UUCP> orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>>Since the Contra war stepped up the contras have been responsible
>>for thousands of deaths.

>the same goes for the Sandinistas. The TELEVISA Mexican evening news had
>a story a couple of weeks ago on cold blood murders by members of the
>sandinista army. Their journalist interviewed several campesinos in
>a remote area in Nicaragua and they described how members of the army
>would storm their towns and kill their families without any reason.
>The journalist first thought they were describing the contras but the
>campesinos told him the contras didn't harm them, "son los soldados...",
>it's the soldiers.
>    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department

A few days ago I was flipping through the cable channels and I came
upon similar footage, where a pitiful, elderly, toothless man was
sitting in his hut talking softly.  The captions went similarly:
the soldiers had been doing all the harm.  When this segment finished
a narrator continued the story of how "good" the contras are and likewise
how "evil" the Sandinistas.  When the narrator finished the scene was back
to a TV studio where who was requesting money?  Why good ol' Jerry Falwell.
You're keeping fine company Eduardo.

When seeking out information about Nicaragua I'd say you can do much
better.  All sorts of American organizations have sponsered trips down there
for whatever purpose, and so often, the unturned information only
contradicts the reports of our president and Mr. Krell.  Many thanks
to Jeff Myers for the articles he contributed.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/11/85)

In article <1658@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) writes:

>A few days ago I was flipping through the cable channels and I came
>upon similar footage, where a pitiful, elderly, toothless man was
>sitting in his hut talking softly.  The captions went similarly:
>the soldiers had been doing all the harm.  When this segment finished
>a narrator continued the story of how "good" the contras are and likewise
>how "evil" the Sandinistas.  When the narrator finished the scene was back
>to a TV studio where who was requesting money?  Why good ol' Jerry Falwell.
>You're keeping fine company Eduardo.

This is typical of those who don't have any good arguments against
opposing views: they then try to discredit one by drawing bad analogies.
The fact is this footage was shown on the Mexican television evening news,
NOT on any fund raising program. Sure, you can say now that Mexico is
pro-US in their central american policies but I bet you'll have a hard
time trying to sell that.

I have no reason to believe that news report any more or less than I
believe news reports about the contras killing innocent people. Do you?

Trying to believe in only one side of the story and just discredit
any facts supporting the other side is like lying to yourself.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell