[net.politics] Degradation and Death in Nicaragua:Re to nrh

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (12/04/85)

nrh asks:
> > The subject WASN'T "degradation and death", so Jan wasn't obligated to
> mention it.  Perhaps there's MORE "degradation and death" under the
> current government than there would be under the Contras.  You have
> some way of knowing that we don't (perhaps you have some way of
> quantifying "degradation")?

Yes, there *is* a way to at least approximately measure the
degradation and death caused
a)before the Sandinistas revolution
b)after the Sandinistas revolution
c)after the Contras began their war

This is the evidence provided by Amnesty International and other
human rights organizations.  Before the Sandinistas overthrew
Somoza his National Guardsmen were responsible for hundreds of
deaths, torture and imprisonment for political opposition.
This was one reason even the US government under Carter pulled
away from fully backing Somoza, just as we also pulled away
from support for Guatemala for similar human rights violations.
Before and for about a year after the revolution, the Sandinistas
were responsible for some human rights abuses.
But even at their height they never approached the level
they reached under Somoza. Furthermore according to
Amnesty International these dropped to almost nothing after
the Sandinistas were in power for a time.  The forced relocation
of the Meskito Indians was a mistake and involved coercion.
However the Sandinistas concluded an agreement with the Meskito
Indians some months ago.
Since the Contra war stepped up the contras have been responsible
for thousands of deaths.  Given that the contras leadership includes
a large percentage of Somoza's former National Guardsmen who
were largely responsible for one of the world's worst human rights
records, I would expect they would continue in that mold after
continuing a bloody rise to power.  One of the reasons I oppose
violence as a means of social change, even for good ends, is
that it tends to promote the careers and power of those who are
the most violent: the Pinochets, Stalins, and others who
grab power after violent takeovers.

                tim sevener   whuxn!orb

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/08/85)

In article <417@whuts.UUCP> orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>Since the Contra war stepped up the contras have been responsible
>for thousands of deaths.

the same goes for the Sandinistas. The TELEVISA Mexican evening news had
a story a couple of weeks ago on cold blood murders by members of the
sandinista army. Their journalist interviewed several campesinos in
a remote area in Nicaragua and they described how members of the army
would storm their towns and kill their families without any reason.
The journalist first thought they were describing the contras but the
campesinos told him the contras didn't harm them, "son los soldados...",
it's the soldiers.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (12/09/85)

> the same goes for the Sandinistas. The TELEVISA Mexican evening news had
> a story a couple of weeks ago on cold blood murders by members of the
> sandinista army. Their journalist interviewed several campesinos in
> a remote area in Nicaragua and they described how members of the army
> would storm their towns and kill their families without any reason.
> The journalist first thought they were describing the contras but the
> campesinos told him the contras didn't harm them, "son los soldados...",
> it's the soldiers.
> --
>     Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department

Considering the history of the Nicaraguan Revolution, it makes no sense for
the EPS to be committing such atrocities, so at this point I will discard it
as untrue propaganda.  Remember that the revolution was fought to get rid of
just such behavior by the GN.  The Sandinistas know full well the lessons of
Vietnam, El Salvador, etc. -- indiscriminant killing will not defeat
guerrillas.  This is the lesson of Nicaraguan history as well.

Seems to be alot of pressure to produce stories painting the Sandinistas as
evil rather than just politically misguided.

Out of curiosity, what ``remote area'' was this supposed to have occurred
in?

Jeff Myers

In article <417@whuts.UUCP> orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>Yes, there *is* a way to at least approximately measure the
>degradation and death caused
>a)before the Sandinistas revolution
>b)after the Sandinistas revolution
>c)after the Contras began their war

Really, this doesn't tell us anything about what the contras would do.  Even
that portion of the contras which were formerly Samozaist (certainly not all,
as far as I can tell not even a majority) deny that they would reinstate
such policies.  (I don't much believe *them*, but I have rather more
confidence in the remainder than in the Sandinistas.)

>One of the reasons I oppose
>violence as a means of social change, even for good ends, is
>that it tends to promote the careers and power of those who are
>the most violent: the Pinochets, Stalins, and others who
>grab power after violent takeovers.

You forget to mention the Sandinistas.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/12/85)

In article <1775@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) writes:

>Considering the history of the Nicaraguan Revolution, it makes no sense for
>the EPS to be committing such atrocities, so at this point I will discard it
>as untrue propaganda.

Here we go again. Whenever there are facts that don't fit with one's ideas,
they HAVE to be false. Daniel Schneider was trying to discredit that news
report by drawing a simplistic comparison to a pro-contra fund raising
event. See, no matter what David or you say, facts can not be changed.
I am convinced the news report was faithful, maybe because the Mexicans
are anti-US in their central american policies and they have no reason
to lie. I have been watching The evening Mexican news for years now and
as far as I have seen, they are among the most credible and responsible news
programs. Anyone who watches them can confirm this.

We have to learn to be good loosers as well as good winners. The Sandinistas
are not sacred cows. They kill in cold blood just as the contras do.