[net.politics] Mixing Races

janw@inmet.UUCP (12/01/85)

 I wonder if many agree with me that the permanent  way  to  bury
the  problem  of  racism is through racial intermarriage. Brazil,
compared to the USA, is  an  interesting  example.  It  abolished
slavery 25 years after US did; its black population was relative-
ly greater; yet - compared to USA - it has had a history  of  ra-
cial  harmony.  There is a correlation between complexion and so-
cial position - but merely correlation. It may be because  mis-
cegenation was never the taboo there that it was here.

There is a racist explanation of such things.  According  to  it,
ethnic  groups of Germanic, North European stock such as English,
German and Dutch (Boers)  are  less  tolerant  of  contacts  with
blacks  than  Latin,  South European people . In my opinion, that
explanation doesn't wash. A rich white gentleman in the old South
of  USA  would fill his house with black servants and let a black
woman wet-nurse his children. Had the same black woman entered  a
restaurant and sat down three tables across from him, he would be
full of revulsion and indignation, and would take  drastic  steps
because this would be contact on the basis of *equality*. Now his
descendants are no more troubled by this, though not free of oth-
er vestiges of racism.

Racism is not instinctive or natural but acquired  and  cultural.
The  reasons  for  the  intolerance  towards  mixed marriages and
liaisons are historical. It seems that in USA, such unions  are
becoming  more  and more socially acceptable - and more frequent,
and this is hopeful.

			Jan Wasilewsky

jim@ISM780B.UUCP (12/02/85)

I agree with you completely, Jan. (Hey!)

-- Jim Balter (ima!jim)

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (12/10/85)

In article <7800848@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

> I wonder if many agree with me that the permanent  way  to  bury
>the  problem  of  racism is through racial intermarriage. Brazil,
>compared to the USA, is  an  interesting  example.  It  abolished
>slavery 25 years after US did; its black population was relative-
>ly greater; yet - compared to USA - it has had a history  of  ra-
>cial  harmony.

I can attest to that. I lived in Sa~o Paulo for 2.5 years,
and it wasn't until I returned to Toronto (at age 12) that
I realized I'd become rather oblivious to colour while there.
I was startled when I first noticed a black person on a bus
in Toronto - not startled at the person, but startled that I
"noticed" it, since I'd never noticed it in Brazil.  I concluded
at the time that the reason must be because almost everyone there
is some shade in between white and black. (On top of that, the
whites are all heavily tanned from the sun :-)

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/10/85)

> I wonder if many agree with me that the permanent  way  to  bury
>the  problem  of  racism is through racial intermarriage.

Uh-huh. And so you're going to break GOD'S LAWS to accomplish social
change. You sound like other communist sympathizers who would like
to destroy our society under the guise of solving problems. You and
other pinkos would like to do away with racial purity altogether.

>Brazil, compared to the USA...  has had a history  of  ra-
>cial  harmony.

Only because the whole country is full of inferior races in the
first place.

>There is a racist explanation of such things.  According  to  it,
>ethnic  groups of Germanic, North European stock such as English,
>German and Dutch (Boers)  are  less  tolerant  of  contacts  with
>blacks  than  Latin,  South European people . In my opinion, that
>explanation doesn't wash.

We superior races are tolerant of the lower ones as long as the
lower races are kept in their place, either voluntarily or by force.
It is when they deny the racial superiority of the caucasians that
trouble always develops. History bears this out. So does the Bible.

>A rich white gentleman in the old South
>of  USA  would fill his house with black servants and let a black
>woman wet-nurse his children. Had the same black woman entered  a
>restaurant and sat down three tables across from him, he would be
>full of revulsion and indignation...

It's one thing to nurse from them. It's another thing to have to eat
with them.

>It seems that in USA, such unions  are
>becoming  more  and more socially acceptable - and more frequent,
>and this is hopeful.

Well, drugs and (shiver) rock and roll are also becoming more "socially
acceptable," but that doesn't mean they are right or even good for
this country. When the true (white) Israel is finally wiped from this
earth, through intermarriage with heathen races, then you'll find out
that it was the caucasians who were the stabilizing force in this world.
But it'll be too late then. You'll be stuck in a world of inferior
beings, with no way of reversing your mistake. Then the true patriots
will look down from God's heaven and say, "Stick it in yer ear!"

WITH THE ABSENCE OF DON BLACK ON THE NET, I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GOOD
TO INCLUDE THE PRECEDING OPPOSING OPINION. THE PRECEDING LIKELY DOES NOT
EXPRESS DON'S VIEWPOINTS ACCURATELY (AND CERTAINLY DOES NOT EXPRESS
THEM AS ELOQUENTLY AS HE DID), BUT I FIGURED IT WOULD BE FUN TO TRY.
THE ABOVE OPINIONS DO N-O-T REFLECT MY OWN; THEY REFLECT JUST THE
OPPOSITE. I AM NOT A RACIST. I AM INTOLERANT OF ALL PEOPLE, REGARDLESS
OF RACE, ETHNIC ORIGIN, OR ECONOMIC CLASS.

Boy, this has been fun.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)
(The views expressed herein are not mine, neither are they the
opinions of RCA Cylix or any of its employees, nor are they the
opinions of any truly nice people.)

In article <7800848@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
> I wonder if many agree with me that the permanent  way  to  bury
>the  problem  of  racism is through racial intermarriage.

I can't let this pass without generating at least a little controversy.
Yes, this is the long term solution to racism.  But it isn't sufficient.
It takes at least 50 years (2 generations); and that assumes that inter-
racial marriages become very common very soon.  More likely, it will take
2 to 4 times as long.  So we need to actively combat racism in the mean
time.

Also, there is a question of cause and effect here.  It is racist attitudes,
in large part, which prevent inter-racial marriages.  Get rid of the
attitudes, and the rest follows.  If you don't at least weaken those
attitudes, your solution won't happen.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka