[net.politics] Yellow Rain: re to Frank Adams

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (12/09/85)

Frank Adams responded to my point about frequent media bias:

> >*All* the press has
> >mistakenly reported many other things which turned out to be wrong.
> >For example, *all* the press reported the US government's allegations
> >that the Soviets were using "Yellow Rain" as a form of chemical warfare
> >in violation of chemical warfare treaties in Southeast Asia.
> >Where has the press reported the recent Scientific American article
> >which conclusively demonstrates that, in fact, "Yellow Rain" is
> >actually bee feces?  The New York Times ran a short article on it.
>
> Actually, it wasn't conclusive.  The issue is still open.
>
> Scientific American is not an unbiased source.  Its articles with foreign
> policy implications show a distinct "liberal" bias.  (I put the word the
> word liberal in quotes, because I regard myself as a liberal, but do not
> agree with the pacifistic kind of policies thus supported.)  They do this
> not by publishing unscientific articles, but by being selective about what
> articles they print.  Note that none of the work supporting the chemical
> warfare theory ever appeared there.
> Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

1)Please name the articles which substantiated that "Yellow Rain" was
  in fact chemical warfare.  I would be *very* surprised if there were
  any such articles since the allegations were based on a few findings
  of tricothecenes in samples by a particular lab, which could never be
  confirmed by the Army's own lab itself
2)Did you *read* the Scientific American article? Here are its key points:

                                      Yellow Rain
                                        Summary

          A yellow substance found on rocks and leaves in Southeast Asia is
          alleged to be an agent of chemical war. Every consideration is
          given to this hypothesis and yet there is no evidence that it is in
          fact an agent of chemical warfare.  On the other hand there is very
          strong evidence that it is in fact bee feces.

          Evidence Examined

            1.  In refugee interviews yellow spots seen dropping from
                indigenous bees were identified as "Yellow Rain"

            2.  tricothecenes were claimed to be discovered in samples of
                "Yellow Rain".  Out of 100 samples tested, only 6 were ever
                found to contain tricothecenes and all these were tested by
                the same laboratory.  Since 1982 the Army has tested 80
                samples and never found any tricothecenes.

            3.  every sample of "Yellow Rain" has been found to consist
                primarily of pollen.

            4.  the pollens found in "Yellow Rain" samples come from plants
                indigenous to Southeast Asia that are frequented by bees

            5.  the Government's description of "Yellow Rain" is an accurate
                description of fecal droppings of honeybees

            6.  A comparison of the average size, color, and distribution of
                "Yellow Rain" samples shows they are similar to that for
                honeybee fecal droppings

            7.  pollen from flowers retains a high protein content *except*
                when digested and processed by bees.  Pollen from "Yellow
                rain" samples had the same low protein content as bee feces.

            8.  all pollen found in "Yellow Rain" samples come from plants
                indigenous to  Southeast Asia.  Moreover they are  the *same*
                pollens found in bees and bee feces indigenous to Southeast
                Asia.

            9.  Every spot of "Yellow Rain" examined has showed a wide
                variety of mixtures of pollen types: the *same* variety
                characteristic of honeybee feces.

           10.  Even a "Yellow Rain" sample reportedly containing
                tricothecene toxins provides detailed evidence that it is, in
                fact, honeybee feces.

           11.  no fragments or other evidence of chemical warfare carriers
                have ever been found despite the many samples of "Yellow
                Rain" collected.

The authors conclude after giving the chemical warfare hypothesis every
benefit of the doubt, that Yellow Rain is bee feces.
I suggest interested or doubting readers read the original Scientific
American article.
                   tim sevener   whuxn!orb

In article <868@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>Frank Adams responded to my point about frequent media bias:
>> >*All* the press has
>> >mistakenly reported many other things which turned out to be wrong.
>> >For example, *all* the press reported the US government's allegations
>> >that the Soviets were using "Yellow Rain" as a form of chemical warfare
>> >in violation of chemical warfare treaties in Southeast Asia.
>> >Where has the press reported the recent Scientific American article
>> >which conclusively demonstrates that, in fact, "Yellow Rain" is
>> >actually bee feces?  The New York Times ran a short article on it.
>>
>> Actually, it wasn't conclusive.  The issue is still open.
>>
>> Scientific American is not an unbiased source.  Its articles with foreign
>> policy implications show a distinct "liberal" bias.  (I put the word the
>> word liberal in quotes, because I regard myself as a liberal, but do not
>> agree with the pacifistic kind of policies thus supported.)  They do this
>> not by publishing unscientific articles, but by being selective about what
>> articles they print.  Note that none of the work supporting the chemical
>> warfare theory ever appeared there.
>
>1)Please name the articles which substantiated that "Yellow Rain" was
>  in fact chemical warfare.  I would be *very* surprised if there were
>  any such articles since the allegations were based on a few findings
>  of tricothecenes in samples by a particular lab, which could never be
>  confirmed by the Army's own lab itself
>2)Did you *read* the Scientific American article? Here are its key points:

1) All I saw was a short note; I'm afraid I don't remember where.  It was
probably in Science News.  It contained little more than what I said: that
the issue is still open.  The negative results cited in the SA article were
questioned.  I was under the impression that those alleging that the Yellow
Rain is chemical warfare had published; do you know for a fact whether they
have or not?

2)Yes.

In any event, I would call the coverage that I have seen of the whole
incident fairly balanced.  I don't think I saw a single reference to the
incident in the press which did not mention that many scientists doubted
the evidence for chemical warfare.  I suspect that you find the press
biased because it doesn't conform to your biases.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka