[net.politics] More double standards

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (11/14/85)

In article <776@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>What American empire?  The U.S. is a large country, but that doesn't make
>it an empire.  Culturally and socially, it is a unit -- not totally
>lacking regional diversity, but relatively so.  The same applies to China,
>with the exception of Tibet, which is occupied territoritory.
>(Historically, China was an empire, but successfully imposed its culture
>on much of the occupied territory.  Most of the exceptions, such as
>Korea, are today independent.)
>
>Russia today, however, has a dominant Russian culture, which rules a variety
>of subject peoples of diverse cultures -- the various central Asian
>Moslem peoples, Ukrainians, Georgians, and the nations of eastern Europe.
>This is an empire.
>
>(India, by the way, is not an empire because of the lack of a dominant
>culture.  It isn't overwhelmingly stable, either.)
>
>Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka
>Multimate International    52 Oakland Ave North    E. Hartford, CT 06108

Wow.   Sounds so pellucid.  The US is a unit?  Harlem, El Paso, New Berne,
San Francisco, Charleston, Atlanta, Miami are similar, culturally and
socially?  Mississippi and Massachusetts similar?  "relatively so?"

And if the US has successfully "imposed" its culture, it was imposed by
the extermination of the Indians as a culture.  "Russia" did much less.

I also don't think the "subject" peoples of "Russia" are any more "subject"
than Hispanics or Blacks here, to just choose two.  Especially in the
central Asian republics, where natives have a higher standard of living
than Russian immigrants, so much so that Russians are migrating
back to Russia from the CA republics.  There is no indication that
CA residents are EVER going to speak Russian as a native tongue.

So where is the "cultural" dominance?  Note, I'm not talking about
political dominance -- you have that here too; Congress is very far
from being a cross-section of the US citizenry.

As far as "dominant" culture goes, was Stalin (a Georgian) some
kind of aberrant case?  Or when crowds screamed for Kasparov during
the recent world chess championship (Kasparov is half-Jew, half-Armenian),
was that some kind of repressive tolerance on the part of the dominant
culture?

As most all journalists and experts on the Soviet Union would attest,
the vast, vast majority of residents of the USSR do not want any
other system of government than the one they have right now.
Democratic sentiments have less support than bringing Stalinism
back.

Why then do some continue to maintain that Russians have an empire
over the other Soviet republics?  I don't get it.

Tony Wuersch
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (11/20/85)

> As most all journalists and experts on the Soviet Union would attest,
> the vast, vast majority of residents of the USSR do not want any
> other system of government than the one they have right now.
> Democratic sentiments have less support than bringing Stalinism
> back.

Ya can't miss nothin ya never had!

> Why then do some continue to maintain that Russians have an empire
> over the other Soviet republics?  I don't get it.
>
> Tony Wuersch
> {amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

Have you ever wondered how the Soviet Union came to be the largest country
in the world?  How about expansionism?  Aggression?  They've  built up their
empire for the past 700 years.  In a few hundred years, do you think East
Germany, Poland, etc. will be any more viable or distinct than the Ukraine
or Georgia is now?  Those countries most likely witll be gradually incorpor-
ated into the Soviet system to such a degree that people a hundred years
from now will say:  "What Soviet empire?   Poland, East Germany, etc. are a
part of mother Russia."   I wonder if people then will still be saying; "Ya,
but look what the U.S. did to the Indians,  too bad the U.S. is not a peace
loving, non-aggressive country like Russia."

ray

Prussia?  What's that, a new Unix editor?

janw@inmet.UUCP (11/23/85)

[ray@rochester]
>[Rebutting Tony Wuersch who argued the USSR is not an empire]

Mostly right, Ray, except for some details. Georgia is very  dis-
tinct ethnically from Russia; many Georgians don't even know Rus-
sian. They are a proud people and have  been  getting  privileged
treatment, in some ways, for decades.

The Ukraine is being rapidly Russianized.

In Latvia, the Latvians are not allowed to come to their own cap-
ital,  Riga,  which  has become a predominantly Russian city.  It
has become that as a result of massive *deportations* of Latvians
to Siberia.

Tallin, the capital of Estonia, is not much different.

In Kishinev, the capital of Moldavia, by 1980  only  5
of  57 school were teaching in the "Moldavian" language (actually
the Rumanian, Moldavia being simply the annexed part of Rumania).

The attitude of most Russians living in the ethnic republics is
arrogantly colonialist; they hate and despise the local population.

In the armed forces almost all the officers and NCO's  are  Great
Russians  or  Ukrainians;  the enlisted men are increasingly from
Central Asia.  The torments and humiliations they  are  subjected
to are as ugly as anything you can imagine.

The largest group among political prisoners in today's  USSR  are
regional "nationalists" -  people  who  have  talked  imprudently
about some kind of autonomous development (usually just cultural)
for  their  republics.  The  most  numerous  are  Ukrainians  and
Lithuanians.

*Soviet Union is a prison for nations as well as individuals*.

As for Poland and other East European nations - no, I don't think
they are in any danger of losing their ethnic or cultural identi-
ty (ask Gabor, he knows better) - but of course they are  captive
nations  in  every  other  sense  of the word. Their governments,
their political systems and their policies  are  all  imposed  by
Moscow,  and the people there have few illusions on that account.
They know that if they budge, the tanks will come and crush  them
again. These countries are held by brute force, pure and simple.

In Afghanistan, the  Soviet  policy  is  that  of  extermination.
About 1 million have already been killed, about 4 million fled to
Pakistan and Iran. Even in the Communist party there  (which  was
only  some  5000 strong when the troops came) the Soviets have no
sincere support. But they've deported 20000 Afghan children  to
the USSR, where they are groomed to come back later and rule what
will be left of their country.

			Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (11/23/85)

[ray@rochester]
>>[Tony Wuersch:] As most all journalists and experts on the Soviet
>>Union  would attest, the vast, vast majority of residents of
>>the USSR do not want any other system of government ...

>>Why then do some continue to maintain that Russians have an empire
              ^^^^
>>over the other Soviet republics?  I don't get it.

What should puzzle Tony even more is that "most experts"  of  the
1st  paragraph are *also* among the *some* of the 2nd paragraph.

> Ya can't miss nothin ya never had!

Ray's answer is right on target. It is not even like missing a
billion bucks you never had, it is like missing the absence of gravity.
The Communist system is the only one most people there can *imagine*.

But:
(1) This tells you *nothing* about the relations of nationalities
within the existing system - which *are* imperialistic.
(2) Neither does the population  there  *support*  the  force  of
gravity *or* the system of government.
(3) They are prevented by force from *acquiring* knowledge of
other systems. Their consent cannot be informed.
(4) All these other republics have been *conquered* by  force  of
arms. In several, there was guerilla resistance for a decade or
so. That resistance was smothered by force.
(5) *Some* people *do* have an idea of other systems.  But  their
ideas and knowledge are prevented from spreading by KGB terror.
(6) There are whole *republics* - the Baltic ones - where the
majority know of other ways of life and *want* them. They
are in a position similar to (but worse than)
(7) the captive nations of Eastern Europe. There people *know*
what is being done to them. Every decade or so one of these
nations becomes restive and is crushed by force.
(8) The only purpose of the Afghan genocide is joining that
piece of real estate to the Empire.

		Jan Wasilewsky

gil@cornell.UUCP (Gil Neiger) (11/24/85)

In article <13348@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:

>Have you ever wondered how the Soviet Union came to be the largest country
>in the world?  How about expansionism?  Aggression?  They've  built up their
>empire for the past 700 years.

For those who are unaware, the Soviet Union is less than 70 years old, and
have *not* been building up their empire for 700 years.  The Soviet Union
came to be so large because it inherited the lands of Imperial Russia.  Much
of the land the Soviet Union has acquired since 1917 (Sakhalin Island,
Lithuania, Latvia, Esthonia, parts of Finland and Poland, and, if you will,
the Ukraine and Belorussia) were parts of the Russian Empire at the turn
of the century.  True, much of this land as well as other parts of the
Soviet Union were obtained via expansionism and aggression (whether by the
Soviets or by the Romanovs), but these are things on which neither the Soviets
nor the Russians in general have a monopoly.
--
        Gil Neiger
        Computer Science Department

{uw-beaver,ihnp4,decvax,vax135}!cornell!gil (UUCP)
gil@Cornell.ARPA (ARPAnet) ; gil@CRNLCS (BITNET)

gil@cornell.UUCP (11/25/85)

From: gil (Gil Neiger)

Sorry if this is posted twice - we had some problems with news.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (11/27/85)

> In article <13348@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> >
> >Have you ever wondered how the Soviet Union came to be the largest country
> >in the world?  How about expansionism?  Aggression?  They've  built up their
> >empire for the past 700 years.
>
> For those who are unaware, the Soviet Union is less than 70 years old, and
> have *not* been building up their empire for 700 years.  The Soviet Union
> came to be so large because it inherited the lands of Imperial Russia.

The Soviet Union as we know it today is only 70 years, but 'mother' Russia
dates back well before 70 years.  The government has changed just as the
government of England has changed since the days of the all powerfull kings
and queens.  But England is still England just as Russia is still Russia with
it's idiologies still intact.

You say Russia 'inherited' the lands from Imperial Russia.  What happened,
some rich person died and gave a country to Russia.  No, Imperial Russia
has been growing with an insatiable appetite for real estate for 700 years.

Because of the Soviet suppression of Solidarity in Czechoslovakia and the
invasion of Afghanistan by imperialistic Russia troops, we invoked sanctions
against Russia, ie; limited trade, no direct commercial flights to Russia, etc.
During the recent Summit, we lifted most of these sanctions.  Guess what,
Solidarity is still dead, and 100,000 Russias are still killing in Afganistan.
And people say we took a hard line at the summit talks.  Seems that Russia
came out ahead.  This in general seems to be the atitude of Russian negotiators,
what's mine is mine, what's yours is negotiable.

And for those who don't know, Russia has been working on their own star wars
since 1975, just because it is not as successful as they had hoped in no way
diminishes the fact that they tried to do what they are most against us doing
in 1985, that is, star wars research.  I suppose we should let them win this
one too and drop all research?

I'm not saying we should'nt have summits, horror of horrors, we should have
many summits.  But we need to go into negotiations with open eyes.  We need
to let the Soviets know that we know where they're coming from and what they
want.  We can't pretend they're nice guys ready to be honest and accomadating.
The U.S for the first time in memory has taken a rather hard stand with the
Soviets, having from past dealings with them, realized that this is all they
understand or respect;  negotiating from a position of power and realism.

ray

janw@inmet.UUCP (11/28/85)

[Gil Neiger :gil@cornell]
>For those who are unaware, the Soviet Union is less than 70 years old, and
>have *not* been building up their empire for 700 years.  The Soviet Union
>came to be so large because it inherited the lands of Imperial Russia.  Much
>of the land the Soviet Union has acquired since 1917 (Sakhalin Island,
>Lithuania, Latvia, Esthonia, parts of Finland and Poland, and, if you will,
>the Ukraine and Belorussia) were parts of the Russian Empire at the turn
>of the century.  True, much of this land as well as other parts of the
>Soviet Union were obtained via expansionism and aggression (whether by the
>Soviets or by the Romanovs), but these are things on which neither the Soviets
>nor the Russians in general have a monopoly.

All these facts are true. Apart from Sakhalin, these  lands  that
you  mention,  as  well  as the three Caucasian republics and the
Central Asia, all broke off after the Revolution. Their  indepen-
dence was *recognized* by the Soviet Russia who then proceeded to
reconquer them by force of arms.

I quite agree with you that expansionism and colonialism  of  the
old Russian empire was no worse (and no better) than that of some
other powers. It just happened to grow on a large plain and  have
some  weak neighbors; because of geography, its conquests were on
land, not overseas.

		Jan Wasilewsky

lkk@teddy.UUCP (12/06/85)

In article <815@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:

[Talking about "Is there an American Empire"]

>But I *am* talking about political dominance.  An empire occurs when
>one cultural entity politically dominates another.  In the U.S., there
>are no cultural entities in the sense I mean that are being dominated.
>(There may be such an entity developing in southern Florida.  I find
>the situation there quite worrisome.)  The idea of the blacks in this
>country forming a separate nation is preposterous.

How about Puerto Rico, Guam, Philipines, virtually all of Central America?

The Romans allowed a degree of autonomy to the outer provinces of its
empire.  It was still an empire.

The United States culturally and politically dominates every country
in Central America except Cuba.  We have in the past unilaterally
replaced governments not to our liking.  We call it our "backyard"
(are we Nicaragua's backyard?  Do they have the right to fund contras
against us?).

No political leader can make policy in Central America without asking,
"How will the US govt. react to this?"

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

In article <1771@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>[Talking about "Is there an American Empire"]
>
>>But I *am* talking about political dominance.  An empire occurs when
>>one cultural entity politically dominates another.  In the U.S., there
>>are no cultural entities in the sense I mean that are being dominated.
>>(There may be such an entity developing in southern Florida.  I find
>>the situation there quite worrisome.)  The idea of the blacks in this
>>country forming a separate nation is preposterous.
>
>How about Puerto Rico, Guam, Philipines, virtually all of Central America?
>
>The Romans allowed a degree of autonomy to the outer provinces of its
>empire.  It was still an empire.
>
>The United States culturally and politically dominates every country
>in Central America except Cuba.  We have in the past unilaterally
>replaced governments not to our liking.  We call it our "backyard"
>(are we Nicaragua's backyard?  Do they have the right to fund contras
>against us?).
>
>No political leader can make policy in Central America without asking,
>"How will the US govt. react to this?"

You have a point, but I don't think it is as strong as you think it is.
It is certainly true that in the early twentieth century, the U.S. had
an empire, which included Puerto Rico, Guam, the Philippines, Hawaii,
and more or less included all of Latin America.  Today, Hawaii has been
incorporated, and certainly is not politically dominated.  The Philippines
is an independent nation.  (Really.  Marcos's government accepts U.S. aid,
but it was not created by us, and is not all that different from, say,
Indonesia.  My own guess is that without the U.S. presence, he would have
consolidated power more thoroughly, and would not now be having problems.)
Puerto Rico is an anomalous case, but in repeated referendums, its people
have voted to continue the current relationship.  (I don't know enough
about the situation in Guam to comment.)

As for the rest of Latin America, while we hardly are innocent, I think
it is a great exaggeration (sp?) of our influence to call them U.S. colonies.
We have intervened to adjust developments which are not to our liking, and
such interventions are possible in the future.  Still, the threshhold
required to provoke intervention has gotten steadily higher, and Latin
American governments have wide latitude to adopt policies which are
unpopular in Washington.  (In the early part of the century, Latin American
governments threatening not to repay loans would have seen the Marines long
before they convinced bankers to reschedule them.  Even in the 50's, this
would have been a likely response.)

Nicaraugua was not above interfering militarily with its neighbors.  Whether
or not they sent arms to the El Salvador rebels (I think they did), they
stated publicly the *right* to export their revolution.

No U.S. President can formulate economic policy without considering how
Europe and Japan will react to it.  Does this make us a European or Japanese
colony?

Russian power dominates Eastern Europe much more than U.S. power dominates
Latin America.  This is not to mention Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, the
Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, and perhaps Azerbajian and Georgia,
(have I missed any?) which by all rights should be independent countries.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

jens@moscom.UUCP (Jens Fiederer) (12/29/85)

Regarding Guam and the Virgin Islands:  I lived in the former for 2 years, and
the latter for 6 years.  In the VI, there is a weak separatist movement, mocked
by at least 95% of the people I met.  Because the indigenous population of the
Virgin Islands was exterminated in the times of the Spaniards, there is no
real nationalist feeling.

Guam, with which I am less familiar, (I was 10-12 years old at the time of my
residence), does have an extant (though well mixed) indigenous population of
Chamorros.  There is some nationalist feeling (the Chamorro's language is
still remembered, and even used for the welcome slogan "Hafa Adai!".  I did not
detect much separatist feeling, but I may have been insensitive.

Azhrarn

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (12/31/85)

> >Have you ever wondered how the Soviet Union came to be the largest country
> >in the world?  How about expansionism?  Aggression?  They've  built up their
> >empire for the past 700 years.

Substitute 'Russia' for 'Soviet Union' and you are absolutely correct.  One
should note that the U.S., and our predesessor the colonies, have been
expanding through conquest for about 300 years.  In fact, the U.S. conquest
of North America and destruction of the original inhabitance closely
parallels the Russian conquest of Siberia.  Much of North America was
'purchased' from various European powers, but it was still necessary to
eliminate the inhabitants.