[net.politics] Rajiv Gandhi takes a cue from the ultra-Zionists

lazarus@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Andrew J &) (12/18/85)

The Sunday 12/15 and Tuesday 12/17 _NY Times_ contain some interesting
news about elections in the Indian state of Assam.  You may remember
Assam as a state in NE India where riots 2 years ago killed thousands
of Muslim refugees from Bangladesh.  (The rioters were Assamese and Hindu
Indians.)

The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
(i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
the right to vote for ten years.

I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
(perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....

Why is the Arab/Israeli
conflict is at the center of the stage -- no UN session is complete
without a new anti-Zionist declaration -- while stories like these
remain on the back pages?

andy

jon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Gingerich) (12/18/85)

In article <11260@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> lazarus@brahms.UUCP (Andrew J Lazarus) writes:
>The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
>according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
>from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
>Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
>(i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
>between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
>the right to vote for ten years.
>
>I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
>who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
>(perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....
I'm sure Palestinians would look at the expulsion of post '70 immigrants
and the disenfranchisement of post '65 immigrants from Palestine/Israel as
a good first step! :-) ;-) :-)

paturi@harvard.UUCP (Ramamohan Paturi) (12/19/85)

In article <11260@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, lazarus@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Andrew J &) writes:

> The Sunday 12/15 and Tuesday 12/17 _NY Times_ contain some interesting
> news about elections in the Indian state of Assam.  You may remember
> Assam as a state in NE India where riots 2 years ago killed thousands
> of Muslim refugees from Bangladesh.  (The rioters were Assamese and Hindu
> Indians.)
>
> The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
> according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
> from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
> Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
> (i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
> between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
> the right to vote for ten years.
>
> I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
> who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
> (perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....

Your mission of questioning the credentials of all people who criticize
the government of Israel is laudable. Attacking is a better strategy than
answering.

It is probably necessary to attack someone who acts inconsistently with what
he says. But, this consistency is a shallow measure which helps hide the
real issues. For example, sometimes consistency can be easily achieved if one
does not make any claims. I beleive that looking at the actions of the
people provides a better measure.

As for Assam, you can compare this problem with that of illegal immigration
from Central America to USA. Most of the immigrants came from Bangladesh
to (a relatively more job opportunity providing) Assam. These immigrants
are to some extent competing for the same resources. One argument of the
Assam student leaders is that this burden from Bangladesh should be shared
by the whole nation, not just Assam alone. Government of India neglected
this problem of large illegal immigration and even enrolled all the illegal
immigrants into the voting lists so that government's party can benefit
in the elctions from the loyalty of immigrants. The threat to native Assamese
from a large proportion of immigrants is real (in terms of jobs and political
power).

When the Assam student leaders started agitating for the expulsion of
immigrants from their state, government could not come up with a solution.
It can not send the immigrants back into Bangladesh as Bangladesh is not
willing to accept them. Bangladesh even denies that anyone has crossed its
borders to come to India. Distributing the immigrants all over India is
also not feasible. Many other states would object on similar grounds.
The cost of rehabilitating the immigrants is also very high. Uprooting
would be quite painful for the immigrants.

Finally, a psuedo solution is found. Immigrants who came before 1961 would not
be touched. Those who came to India between 1961 and 1971 would have to wait
for full citizenship and those who came after 1971 would be expelled from the
state of Assam. This is not a solution since it does not specify where the
expelled immigrants would go to. The government bought some time by promising
the expulsion of post 1971 immigrants. People predict that problems will again
arise if the government starts expelling these people or if it postpones the
task. Sending these immigrants back to Bangladesh can not even be considered
becuase of the attitude of Bangladesh.

Any inquiries about further information or soultions to the problem are
welcome. (Back issues of NYT or Times of India would give more information.)

P.S.: I apologize for any inaccuracies in my presentation of the complex
situation of Assam. I hope others would make the necessary corrections.

-Ramamohan Paturi
paturi@harvard.HARVARD.EDU.ARPA

agrawal@csd2.UUCP (Try m/c ACF6) (12/19/85)

>/* csd2:net.politics / lazarus@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Andrew J &) /  9:23 pm  Dec 17, 1985 */
>
>news about elections in the Indian state of Assam.  You may remember
>Assam as a state in NE India where riots 2 years ago killed thousands
>of Muslim refugees from Bangladesh.  (The rioters were Assamese and Hindu
>Indians.)
>
>The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
>according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
>from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
>Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
>(i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
>between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
>the right to vote for ten years.
>andy
>/* ---------- */

	I think you have got your facts rather distorted. you make it
sound like the Congress(I) government is trying to get rid of the Muslim
population of Assam. In fact , it is just the opposite.
	During the period 1965-1971 approximately 5 million refugees
crossed into India from East Pakistan due to the civil war in that
that country (By the way , U.S. wasn't even willing to agree thatany
civil war was going on or that the positoin was abnormal ).
	After BanglaDesh's independence , another 1/2 million people
have supposed to have crossed over to Assam. This whole thing has
caused the Refugee population of Assam to be almost 1/3 of the total
population of Assam.
	However , the Muslim and other minorities have always been the
vote bank of the Congress Party , and this case was no exception. The
Congress allowed this illegal immigration to go on and the Electoral
rolls got highly distorted.
	The a couple of years back , Indira Gandhi forcibly tried to
have an election despite extreme opposition to any elections before
the question of Electoral roles could be sorted out. This led to
large scale rioting and started to take on a secessionist tone and
eventually has become an agitation not only against the Muslims,
but against all the non-assamese and especially Bengalees.
	Now an accord with the agitation leaders has been reached.
However BanglaDesh will not be taking back any of the immigrants and
they will have to be absorbed elsewhere in India. As to the defranchising
of the people who came between 1965-1971 does make sense because
otherwise the electoral balance has totally shifted due to illegal
immigration. (Just imagin what US would do if suddenly so many
immigrants from Mexico came and somehow got themselves
**** registered as voters **** and their population was as much
as 1/3 of the total population.)
	The Assam accord is simply attempt to cope with a situation that
had got out of hand because of Mrs. Gandhi's covert approval of the
Muslim immigration from BanglaDesh because that served as her vote bank.
However she did try to stop the infiltration from across the border
after the agitation took the ugly turn at the elections.A barbed wire
fence is supposed to be constructed along the whole Bangla Desh borded
with India. However this has led to a serious dispute with BanglaDesh.

				Mukul Babu Agrawal
				agrawal@csd2.nyu.arpa
				...cmcl2!csd2!agrawal

p.s. Assam had elections this Monday . I do not know what happened but
I'll post the results when I get my weekly paper.

baparao@uscvax.UUCP (Bapa Rao) (12/19/85)

In article <11260@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> lazarus@brahms.UUCP (Andrew J Lazarus) writes:

>The Sunday 12/15 and Tuesday 12/17 _NY Times_ contain some interesting
>news about elections in the Indian state of Assam.  You may remember
>Assam as a state in NE India where riots 2 years ago killed thousands
>of Muslim refugees from Bangladesh.  (The rioters were Assamese and Hindu
>Indians.)
>
>The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
>according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
>from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
>Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
>(i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
>between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
>the right to vote for ten years.
>
>I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
>who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
>(perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....

Huh? I was under the impression that Israel "immigrated" to the West Bank,
while the Arabs there were native to that place. In the case of Assam, it is
just the opposite: the people being disenfranchised are Bangladeshi (then
East Pakistani) refugees from the war of 1971 who illegally remained (they
were definitely not naturalized Indian citizens), and the people demanding
their disenfranchisement and expulsion are native Assamese. Only (crooked)
political and humanitarian considerations (they would have to go back to
Bangladesh, an even poorer country than India, and while they remain in
Assam, they can be made to vote (illegally) for the ruling party as a price
for ignoring their illegal status) prevented them from being sent back home
sooner, and led to a violent agitation on the part of the native Assamese
who feared "competition for jobs and erosion of their culture".  (Familiar
ring there!)

>Why is the Arab/Israeli
>conflict is at the center of the stage -- no UN session is complete
>without a new anti-Zionist declaration -- while stories like these
>remain on the back pages?
>
>andy

Wonder why? Maybe the UN took the Andy Lazarus Correspondence Course in
Logic! :-).

                                        --Bapa Rao.

varikoot@gondor.UUCP (kill) (12/20/85)

> The Sunday 12/15 and Tuesday 12/17 _NY Times_ contain some interesting
> news about elections in the Indian state of Assam.  You may remember
> Assam as a state in NE India where riots 2 years ago killed thousands
> of Muslim refugees from Bangladesh.  (The rioters were Assamese and Hindu
> Indians.)
>
> The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
> according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
> from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
> Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
> (i.e. about the population of the West Bank)
   These immigrants are illegal immigrants. Bangladesh and India had
   a pact that after the 1971 war that all illegal immigrants to India
   will be taken back by Bangladesh.
> 2.  Immigrants from
> between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
> the right to vote for ten years.

  Even these immigrants are illegal but since they have not been covered
  under the treaty it was proposed to regularise their situation after
  ten years. The US congress is proposing a somewhat akin regularisation
  of illegal immigrants before 1984 ( ? )

rajeev@sfmag.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (12/22/85)

uscvax!baparao's response to brahms!lazarus:
> In article <11260@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> lazarus@brahms.UUCP (Andrew J Lazarus) writes:
> >
> >The Sunday 12/15 and Tuesday 12/17 _NY Times_ contain some interesting
> >news about elections in the Indian state of Assam.  You may remember
> >Assam as a state in NE India where riots 2 years ago killed thousands
> >of Muslim refugees from Bangladesh.  (The rioters were Assamese and Hindu
> >Indians.)

Minor quibble: Assamese happen to be Indians too; and quite a few of them
are Hindus.

> >The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
> >according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
> >from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
> >Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
> >(i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
> >between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
> >the right to vote for ten years.
> >
> >I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
> >who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
> >(perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....
> >

> Huh? I was under the impression that Israel "immigrated" to the West Bank,
> while the Arabs there were native to that place. In the case of Assam, it is
> just the opposite: the people being disenfranchised are Bangladeshi (then
> East Pakistani) refugees from the war of 1971 who illegally remained (they
> were definitely not naturalized Indian citizens), and the people demanding
> their disenfranchisement and expulsion are native Assamese. Only (crooked)

Bapa Rao is quite right in pointing out the inaccuracy of the analogy made
by brahms!lazarus. A more accurate analogy (though not perfect) would be the
following: How would Israel react if 500,000 Iranians "immigrated" and demanded
Israeli citizenship? How would the USA react if 10 million poor Mexicans walked
over the Texas border and settled down? I think the answer to the second
question is fast becoming evident, with the Simpson-Mazzoli bill and so on.

> >Why is the Arab/Israeli
> >conflict is at the center of the stage -- no UN session is complete
> >without a new anti-Zionist declaration -- while stories like these
> >remain on the back pages?

Yes, why indeed? And why not similar incidents in nations Brahms probably
considers paragons of moral rectitude: a) Britain has stopped immigration
from its former colonies (though its non-indigenous population is miniscule,
some 1% or so) because of fears of being "swamped culturally" [Enoch Powell:
paraphrased]; b) France's Algerian population is facing more and
more racism courtesy of Monsieur Le Pen [recent NYT report about how the
traditional French symbol, Marianne, appears garbed in Arab dress in one of
Le Pen's inflammatory tracts about the Arabization of France; c) Turkish
'gastarbeiters' were welcomed to do the menial labour in West Germany,
but must now be ejected ... [Note that all these groups of immigrants
were perfectly legal, unlike the Bangladeshis who immigrated illegally to
Assam]. And in none of these cases does the sheer number of immigrants
threaten to overwhelm the locals as in the case of Assam. So by all means,
have the UN look into Assam, as soon as it has finished solving the human
rights problems in Argentina, Afghanistan, South Africa, Cambodia,...

				Sri Rajeev.

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (12/26/85)

> The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
> according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
> from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
> Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
> (i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
> between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
> the right to vote for ten years.

> I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
> who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
> (perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....

> andy

1.  Israel is not pursuing ANYTHING LIKE such a policy.  It is Rabbi
Meir Kahane who proposes taking away the votes from non-Jews (not just
Arabs), and ejecting ONLY THOSE ARABS who refuse to live without political
rights -- and Rabbi Kahane is banned from radio-TV, and the new anti-
Kahane laws passed in the Knesset will make it illegal for anyone advocating
his policies even to run for office.

2.  The concept of throwing out everyone who immigrated after a given date
is from the Palestine National Covenant -- all Jews who came (or whose
ancestors came) to Palestine after some given year (1917?  1947?) would
have to go back where they (or their ancestors) came from.  It's not fair
to attribute to the Israelis the ideas of their principal adversaries.

                                        -- Matt Rosenblatt

baparao@uscvax.UUCP (Bapa Rao) (01/01/86)

In article <1051@brl-tgr.ARPA> matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) writes:
>> The Indian government quelled these riots with an agreement, which,
>> according to the newspaper, included these provisions:  1.  Immigrants
>> from after 1971 would be expelled from Assam, in some cases back to
>> Bangladesh.  This affects between 500,000 and 1 million people.
>> (i.e. about the population of the West Bank)  2.  Immigrants from
>> between 1966 and 1971 (tens of thousands more) may remain but lose
>> the right to vote for ten years.
>
>> I look forward to a justification of these events from certain persons
>> who criticise the Israeli government for pursuing a rather similar
>> (perhaps even more moderate!) policy.....
>
>> andy
>
>1.  Israel is not pursuing ANYTHING LIKE such a policy.  It is Rabbi
>Meir Kahane who proposes taking away the votes from non-Jews (not just
>Arabs), and ejecting ONLY THOSE ARABS who refuse to live without political
>rights -- and Rabbi Kahane is banned from radio-TV, and the new anti-
>Kahane laws passed in the Knesset will make it illegal for anyone advocating
>his policies even to run for office.
>
>2.  The concept of throwing out everyone who immigrated after a given date
>is from the Palestine National Covenant -- all Jews who came (or whose
>ancestors came) to Palestine after some given year (1917?  1947?) would
>have to go back where they (or their ancestors) came from.  It's not fair
>to attribute to the Israelis the ideas of their principal adversaries.
>
>                                       -- Matt Rosenblatt

Dear vocal debaters of Israeli policy:

I am at a loss to understand what earthly logical connection can possibly
exist between the following two situations:

1. The adjudication of the legal status of Bangladeshi (and erstwhile East
Pakistani) citizens who ILLEGALLY entered the state of Assam (which is an
integral part of the Republic of India) without the proper documents and
permits (such as passports and visas) normally required by ALL countries of
prospective immigrants.

2. The policy (benevolent or otherwise) pursued by Israel towards the Arab
population (and the descendants of that population) that existed in its
territory from a time prior to the constitution of modern Israel as a soverign
state.

Debate Israel as loudly and often you please, but do try and refrain from
dragging in analogies that simply don't apply. Seeking to make points
without the benefit of facts reflects poorly on you and the cause that you
so shrilly advocate. Get rid of the silly header and citations about Rajiv
Gandhi's Assam policy; you'll be the better for it.

And please, don't trouble yourselves to explain this "connection" to my
mailbox; my mind is already made up that no such connection exists.

I wish everyone a happy and prosperous 1986.

                                                        --Bapa Rao.