[net.politics] Whom Should We Believe

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (12/17/85)

>In article <1658@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) writes:
>>
>>A few days ago I was flipping through the cable channels and I came
>>upon similar footage, where a pitiful, elderly, toothless man was
>>sitting in his hut talking softly.  The captions went similarly:
>>the soldiers had been doing all the harm.  When this segment finished
>>a narrator continued the story of how "good" the contras are and likewise
>>how "evil" the Sandinistas.  When the narrator finished the scene was back
>>to a TV studio where who was requesting money?  Why good ol' Jerry Falwell.
>>You're keeping fine company Eduardo.

>This is typical of those who don't have any good arguments against
>opposing views: they then try to discredit one by drawing bad analogies.

I was not furnishing an argument and thus it wasn't a "good" argument, nor
a  "bad"  analogy. I think its quite informative to juxtapose the sources of
two  pieces  of  strikingly  similar  information. [Incidentally, instead of
being  a bad analogy, using the definition in my dictionary, the above piece
is  probably  too  similar  to  be  an  analogy.]  I'm  not  sure why such a
juxtaposition should upset you. I would assume your views of the Sandinistas
and  Rev.  Falwell's  are  in harmony. If you dislike the association with a
political bedfellow it is your problem, not mine for pointing it out.

>I have no reason to believe that news report [on Mexican television news -DS]
>any more or less than I
>believe news reports about the contras killing innocent people. Do you?

The  contradictory  information  comes from two distinct camps. Ex-Somozans,
anti-communists  and  the  like  seem  to  have  caught  your ear. Meanwhile
my  sympathies  tend  to  lay  with  the  citizens of the  country  and  the
lifestyles  they  attempt  to lead. To this end, much information is flowing
from   groups   of   similar   interests.   Unfortunately  humanist-inspired
information  regularly contradicts that of yours, Eduardo, Jerry Falwell and
Ronald  Reagan.  I  have  no  idea what your vested interests are if they do
exist, but I am well aware of those of your compatriots.

To summarize I believe whom I believe after considering the vested interests
of  the  sources  of  information. From this method, I have determined those
seeking  to  overthrow  the  Nicaraguan  government have indirectly condoned
atrocities against other people. If I were to accept the political arguments
against  the  Sandinistas,  I  would  still be against the methods currently
being used by the Contras and funded publicly by the American government and
privately by many conservative organizations.

>Trying to believe in only one side of the story and just discredit
>any facts supporting the other side is like lying to yourself.
>    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department

This  is  true.  Alas it is unfortunate that you merely type these words and
show  no  sign  of heeding them. I do not believe I have provoked you in any
way to think the same of me.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/17/85)

> Unfortunately  humanist-inspired
> information  regularly contradicts that of yours, Eduardo, Jerry Falwell and
> Ronald  Reagan.  I  have  no  idea what your vested interests are if they do
> exist, but I am well aware of those of your compatriots.

I hope you read my posting about what the Head of the UN Permanent Commision
on Human Rights in Nicaragua had to say about the human rights situation
over there. Maybe thay will change your mind (or at least bring you second
thoughts).
Also, you are probably mistaken by being well aware of the "vasted interests
of my compatriots" since I doubt you know what my nationality is. Certainly
not Nicaraguan.

--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

In article <36@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) writes:
>>I have no reason to believe that news report [on Mexican television news -DS]
>>any more or less than I
>>believe news reports about the contras killing innocent people. Do you?
>
>To summarize I believe whom I believe after considering the vested interests
>of  the  sources  of  information. From this method, I have determined those
>seeking  to  overthrow  the  Nicaraguan  government have indirectly condoned
>atrocities against other people. If I were to accept the political arguments
>against  the  Sandinistas,  I  would  still be against the methods currently
>being used by the Contras and funded publicly by the American government and
>privately by many conservative organizations.

Your arguments about vested interests are appropriate concerning the Falwell
group.  They are not appropriate concerning Mexican television.  Mexico has
generally supported the Sandinistas and opposed the Contras.  Since the
issue is the creditability of the source, mentioning that the same thing
is being stated by a non-credible source is at best disingenious.  The fact
that Falwell says it in no way makes it less likely; he would certainly
pass on these things if they were true.

So let's ignore the irrelevancy; the subject is the reliability of the
Mexican television report.  Do you have any real reason to think it
unreliable?

By the way, the Contras are by no means monolithic.  The sources I have
seen (mostly newspapers) indicate that some groups of them do engage in
atrocities, and some do not.  Likewise, it is quite believable to me that
an isolated group of soldiers might engage in some raping, looting, and
killing, without that being the policy of the Nicarauguan government.
After all, those are time-honored military traditions.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (12/21/85)

> Also, you are probably mistaken by being well aware of the "vasted interests
> of my compatriots" since I doubt you know what my nationality is. Certainly
> not Nicaraguan.
>
>     Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department

I don't think he was talking about nationality.  Sounds like you would be
ashamed if you were Nicaraguan.

Hm.  Perhaps you are Salvadoran?  I think that Ed Asner recently pointed out
during his visit to Madison that LA has more Salvadorans than San Salvador.

And speaking of El Salvador, sen~or Krell, what are you feelings about the
conflict in that country?  Is
white phosphorus pleasant to have under your skin if you're only a peasant?
Is the fact that Farabundo Marti knew Augusto Caldero'n Sandino evidence of
the monolithic communist conspiracy?

Seriously, do you feel that the country is becoming more democratic?  Are
the daily lives of the people their likely to improve?  Why or why not?

Jeff Myers

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/23/85)

In article <1843@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) writes:

>I don't think he was talking about nationality.

Yes, I know. Mr. Schneider and I exchanged private e-mail, proving once more
that people with different viewpoint can talk to and respect each other.

>Hm.  Perhaps you are Salvadoran?  I think that Ed Asner recently pointed out
>during his visit to Madison that LA has more Salvadorans than San Salvador.

Nope, LA is also the city with more Mexicans after Mexico City, but that
doesn't make me a Mexican either.

>And speaking of El Salvador, sen~or Krell, what are you feelings about the
>conflict in that country?

  This is an interesting problem. Lets remember that the first time Mr. Duarte
was in power, the military removed him from office acussing him from being
a communist. Now, people in the left say he is a fascist.

  Since Mr. Duarte himself nor the Christian Democratic Party have changed,
this goes to show us how the same person can be thought of being in one
extreme or the other, depending on who is the observer. Intriguing ...

  Anyway, for those of us who know some latin american political history
not from reading books or newspaper articles or taking a 2 week trip but
from having lived there for most of our lives, it should be clear that
the christian democrats are in the center-left portion of the spectrum.
That deosn't make them communists nor fascists.

  They have brought social and economic changes. For instance, President
Frei in Chile who was in power 1964-1970 started the agrarian reforms
that where continued by Allende. There are more examples if anyone is
interested.

  Of curse, Mr. Duarte has some serious trouble with the war against
the rebels to solve before he can effectively bring changes. Duarte
has asked the rebels to sit down and negotiate with the government.
They did so a couple of times but the rebels broke up the negotiations.
At least they can sit down and talk. The Sandinistas won't even do that.
--

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (12/26/85)

> >Hm.  Perhaps you are Salvadoran?  I think that Ed Asner recently pointed out
> >during his visit to Madison that LA has more Salvadorans than San Salvador.
>
> Nope, LA is also the city with more Mexicans after Mexico City, but that
> doesn't make me a Mexican either.

We give up.  Now that you have our interest up, Eduardo, will you identify your
patria?

> >And speaking of El Salvador, sen~or Krell, what are you feelings about the
> >conflict in that country?
>
>   This is an interesting problem. Lets remember that the first time Mr. Duarte
> was in power, the military removed him from office acussing him from being
> a communist. Now, people in the left say he is a fascist.
>
>   Since Mr. Duarte himself nor the Christian Democratic Party have changed,
> this goes to show us how the same person can be thought of being in one
> extreme or the other, depending on who is the observer. Intriguing ...

Neither have changed?  That would be very intriguing indeed.  I was under the
impression that the left faction of the party went over to the support of the
rebels by joining the FDR six or seven years ago.  Being President also has
a habit of changing one dramatically.  An ``interesting problem''?  I'd say
that it is a good deal more serious than that.  However interesting our banter
(and those of our compan~ero netters) may be, it's not just an intellectual
game that we are playing.

>   Anyway, for those of us who know some latin american political history
> not from reading books or newspaper articles or taking a 2 week trip but
> from having lived there for most of our lives,...

Thank you for pointing out my whipper-snapper-ness with respect to Latin
history and culture.  Might we also ask what brought you from your native land
to our golden shores?  (Visions of Ar-Pharazon, last king of Numenor, sailing
off to the Undying Lands.)

You might be surprised at how little most Americans know about their own
history.

> ...it should be clear that
> the christian democrats are in the center-left portion of the spectrum.
> That deosn't make them communists nor fascists.

And it doesn't put them in control of the military, either.  Center-right,
Center-center, or Center-left is also a matter of perspective, ?no?

>   They have brought social and economic changes. For instance, President
> Frei in Chile who was in power 1964-1970 started the agrarian reforms
> that where continued by Allende. There are more examples if anyone is
> interested.

This is true.  He also worked for the military coup which killed and overthrew
Allende and thousands of Chileans on the hope that he and/or his party could
return to power in post-coup elections -- but Pinochet had other plans.

>   Of curse, Mr. Duarte has some serious trouble with the war against
> the rebels to solve before he can effectively bring changes. Duarte
> has asked the rebels to sit down and negotiate with the government.
> They did so a couple of times but the rebels broke up the negotiations.
> At least they can sit down and talk. The Sandinistas won't even do that.
> --
>     Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department

Sources?  Talk is cheap -- the rebels say the reverse.

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of any other

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/30/85)

In article <1857@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) writes:

        >We give up.  Now that you have our interest up, Eduardo, will you
        >identify your patria?

Ok, Jeff. The mistery is over. I am from Chile.

        >Might we also ask what brought you from your native land
        >to our golden shores?

I am trying to get my Ph.D. in CS. That's the main reason. Pinochet's
government helped me to make my mind and leave the country ASAP and is
now keeping me from going back (not that I can't go back, I don't want
to).

        >You might be surprised at how little most Americans know about their
        >own history.

By Americans you mean U.S. citizens or people born in the americas?
(We latin americans still view ourselves as americans, you know).
I have noticed that U.S. citizens know very little about their own
history (and even less about world history). I was also astonished by
the lack of knowledge and interest in world events (unless they have to
do with US interests). Can someone explain this phenomena?

        > ... (in reference to the christian democrats) ...
        >And it doesn't put them in control of the military, either.

Right, that is why Duarte has to be very cautious with the military.
I don't think the military trusts him 100%. If they view his policies as
"too revolutionary", a coup is always possible.

        >Center-right, Center-center, or Center-left is also a matter
        >of perspective, ?no?

Yes, of course it is, but christian democrats have always fought for
social justice, human rights, etc. I have never seem them labelled
other than as center-left (that is, by some objective observer.
Pinochet views them as being allies with the communist ...).

        > ... (in reference to President Frei in Chile) ...
        >... He also worked for the military coup which killed
        >and overthrew Allende and thousands of Chileans on the hope that
        >he and/or his party could return to power in post-coup elections
        >-- but Pinochet had other plans.

This is questionable. The christian democrats hold majority in the
congress in 1970 when they had to choose a president between Allende
and Alessandri (the first and second place in the elections).
Since neither candidate got over 50% of the votes, the congress could
pick one of the first two places.
The national party (conservative right, Alessandri's) pressed the
christian democrats to vote for Alessandri (so did the US government
as we learned later), yet they voted for Allende to everyone's surprise.

        >> (me)
        >> Duarte has asked the rebels to sit down and negotiate with
        >> the government. They did so a couple of times but the rebels
        >> broke up the negotiations.

        >Sources?  Talk is cheap

I am not making this up, believe me. I think it was about a year ago
whem the catholic church sponsored a meeting between Duarte and the
rebel leaders in some remote wooden house in the countryside.
I recall seeing TV footage of the meetings. There were great expectations
from the meetings but the rebels' demands were unrealistic.
--

mahoney@bach.DEC (12/31/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 29-DEC-1985 22:03---------------------

>By Americans you mean U.S. citizens or people born in the americas?
>(We latin americans still view ourselves as americans, you know).
>I have noticed that U.S. citizens know very little about their own
>history (and even less about world history). I was also astonished by
>the lack of knowledge and interest in world events (unless they have to
>do with US interests). Can someone explain this phenomena?

    It comes from the fact that the Americans (I mean US citizens) have never
  felt that they need outside help.  If you look at our History (or perception
  of our History) we have always gone to save the other guy.  The
  Spanish-American War we went to save Cuba from the nasty Spanish.  WWI we went
  to save Europe from the Imperialist anti-deomcratic doggish Germans. WWII we
  supplied England and  the Soviet Union and thus without us they would have
  lost.  The tremendous amount of aid we have given out to the world since the
  end of WWII have helped millions.  Americans see this as the most blessed
  nation in the world so it doesn't matter what is going on the rest of the
  world.

  The bigger problem though I feel is that the US is so isolated.  The US only
  really has two neighbors of any significance who have never really bothered
  us.  Look at the numerous wars in Central and South America in Asia and
  Europe and Africa these have forced the people to look at what is happening
  in the Other Countries. (There is really only one War the US has been forced
  into and that is WWII and that is even semi-doubtful) You say well what
  about Canada Canadians have been under the domination of another country for
  along time and only since WWII has had total control of its actions.

  The US has never been invaded or bombed really (I don't need a discussion on
  the balloon bombs I am talking about the bombings as in the Battle of Britian)
  The US also has never had the huge Empire that Britian and France and nations
  such as that had.  These Empires brought there people to other parts of the
  world and the other parts of the world to there nations.  The US also has not
  been dominated by any country since the Revolution like the rest of the world.
  The reason this occured is that most countries felt we would fall apart
  eventually or the balance of powers within Europe dictated it. We simply were
   never seen as a threat.

  It is these quirks in history that have made Americans so indifferent to the
  rest of the World.  Our Size and distance and for awhile lack of need of
  getting involved.  The US had a continent to conquer we didn't need to look
  else where.  Remember also that George Washington said that two things would
  be a bane to this country involvement with Europe and political parties.
  (So far he has been right on both scores) It is our very history and now
  the power that the US has that makes people not look beyond our own shores.

  Brian Mahoney

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (01/02/86)

In article <203@decwrl.DEC.COM> mahoney@bach.DEC writes:

>  It is these quirks in history that have made Americans so indifferent to the
>  rest of the World.  Our Size and distance and for awhile lack of need of
>  getting involved.  The US had a continent to conquer we didn't need to look
>  else where.  Remember also that George Washington said that two things would
>  be a bane to this country involvement with Europe and political parties.
>  (So far he has been right on both scores) It is our very history and now
>  the power that the US has that makes people not look beyond our own shores.
>
>  Brian Mahoney
I agree with what you say. And after seeing the Peoples Summit on NBC last
night I would add; it is this very lack of knowledge of other peoples
cultures, institutions, people, and history that is a big factor in the
various messes we are in now.