[net.politics] Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (12/30/85)

> No.  We know more than that.  We know that Ho Chi Minh was
> already a committed communist and that he betrayed people who
> were stupid or unlucky enough to collaborate with him.
> Those allegedly far-sighted advisors needed glasses badly.
>
> 				David Hudson

Ah, now we come to the heart of the matter -- knee-jerk anti-communism.  It
strikes me as quite funny, tho, that one no longer hears sweeping condemnations
of China in the US.

I have four points to raise with respect to David's comments:

(1)	If the heightened state of militarization of Vietnam had not
	been necessary, it is likely that a much less centralized brand
	of communism would have resulted.  It is also highly likely that
	the North and South would have been unified in the 1950's if the
	US had allowed the scheduled elections to take place then.  How
	could such a situation POSSIBLY be worse for anybody than a
	Vietnam ravaged by war for twenty more years, with consequent
	millions of dead and vast economic devastation?

(2)	A guerrilla war can ONLY be won with the support of the people
	of a country...this support was displayed in both North and
	South from the 1940's on.  In the early stages the support of
	the peasantry was achieved thru land redistribution (hence the
	progressive nature of the movement, at least in the EARLY STAGES).

(3)	Someone else brought up the refugee situation before and after the
	war.  I'll need to look into this, but my guess is that, during
	the war, refugees were maintained internal to the country thru
	relocation schemes similar to those being used in today's
	Guatemala.  It wouldn't have done to have had refugees streaming
	from the South (besides, would the US have taken them then?).
	Another factor would probably be that those against the South
	Vietnamese government stayed to fight rather than leave, while
	that was not an option for those against the unified communist
	government.  Anyway, this is something that bears looking into.

(4)	The fourth point is a question for David.  What collaborationists
	are you referring to who were betrayed by Ho Chi Minh?

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of any other

In article <1864@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) writes:
>> No.  We know more than that.  We know that Ho Chi Minh was
>> already a committed communist and that he betrayed people who
>> were stupid or unlucky enough to collaborate with him.
>> Those allegedly far-sighted advisors needed glasses badly.
>
>Ah, now we come to the heart of the matter -- knee-jerk anti-communism.

This is knee-jerk anti-communism, but it isn't the heart of the matter.
How about a response to my point: why don't know what Ho Chi Minh would
have built without American and French opposition, but we do know what
he actually built.  Speculation about what would have happened otherwise
is just that: pure speculation.

George Washington and the rest of our founding fathers faced comparable
opposition in setting up the United States.  (The war lasted six years
instead of thirty.)  They did a much better job of setting up a decent
government -- and they didn't have any other successful models to
emulate.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka