[net.politics] Adams on American Foreign Policy

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (01/05/86)

> U.S. foreign policy has been far from perfect; but no other nation with
> anywhere near our power has behaved nearly as well.
>
> Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

"Far from perfect", hmmm, let's see now:

American wars with the Indians and their virtual extermination

1848 - American war with Mexico to obtain California and the Southwest

1898 - American war with Spain to obtain Cuba, the Phillipines and
       other Spanish colonies

1920's - American troops sent to occupy Nicaragua

1954   - American overthrow of the democratic government of Jacob Arbenz
         to be replaced by a military dictatorshil until the present

1956   - American overthrow of the democratic government of Mossadegh
         to be replaced by the military dictatorship of the Shah

1940's-1954 - American support of the French attempt to regain their
         Indochinese colony with aid of advisers and military supplies

1954-1973 - American military intervention in Vietnam, in contravention
         of 1954 Geneva Accords to settle Indochinese conflict.
         American support for the refusal of Diem to hold elections called
         for in 1954 Geneva Accords

1973   - American covert support for the overthrow of the democratic
         government of Salvador Allende ending decades of the tradition
         of stable Chilean democracy.  Military dictatorship of Pinochet
         immediately got American and international loans denied to
         Allende's government as he killed and imprisoned thousands.
         Including the bombing of a former Allende government official
         in Washington, D.C.  (needless to say this was not in the medias
         headlines as a case of horrible "internation terrorism")

1965  -  American troops sent to the Dominican Republic

1984  -  American troops overthrow the government in Grenada
         (note: human rights groups reported last week that labor
          organizers and members of the opposition to the current
          government have begun mysteriously disappearing.  Of course
          others are in jail)

1983 -   American mining of Nicaragua's harbor in violation of
         international law and the Treaty of the Organization of
         American States

1981-?   American funding for contra campaign of terrorism in Nicaragua
         including bombing, killings, and mutilations.

1981     American resumption of arms sales to South Africa's apartheid
         government

?(coming soon!) - American funding for Jonas Savimbi's UNITAS party
         and its campaign of terrorism in Angola with the usual bombings,
         killings, and mutilations.  Savimbi's current major supplier
         is the South African apartheid government which aids him with
         its own troops.  Before that Savimbi got support from China
         as a self-proclaimed Maoist.  Interestingly Savimbi has never
         said he is *not* a Maoist.  Needless to say his organization
         is a bastion of the democracy of Jonas Savimbi -
         "one man one vote" (HA! HA!)

I hope our foreign policy can come a lot closer to perfection than this!!
                  tim sevener    whuxn!orb

In article <458@whuts.UUCP> orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>> U.S. foreign policy has been far from perfect; but no other nation with
>> anywhere near our power has behaved nearly as well.
>
>"Far from perfect", hmmm, let's see now:
>
>American wars with the Indians and their virtual extermination

I am not going to defend early American policy towards the Indians, but as
usual you greatly overstate your case.  By the estimates I have seen, there
are about as many Indians in the U.S. now as there were in 1492.  Oppress
them and suppress their culture, yes; virtual extermination, no.

>1848 - American war with Mexico to obtain California and the Southwest
>
>1898 - American war with Spain to obtain Cuba, the Phillipines and
>       other Spanish colonies

The Spanish-American War was hardly a moral outrage.  The one American
venture into true colonialism didn't create any new colonies, just
transferred ownership of some existing ones.

>1920's - American troops sent to occupy Nicaragua
>
>1954   - American overthrow of the democratic government of Jacob Arbenz
>         to be replaced by a military dictatorshil until the present

I don't recognize this reference.

>1956   - American overthrow of the democratic government of Mossadegh
>         to be replaced by the military dictatorship of the Shah

I am not an expert on Iranian history, but I think it is stretching a
point to call Mossadegh's government "democratic".  (The Shah was an
absolute monarch, not a military dictator.  I have no more love for
one than for the other, but there is a difference.)

>1940's-1954 - American support of the French attempt to regain their
>         Indochinese colony with aid of advisers and military supplies
>
>1954-1973 - American military intervention in Vietnam, in contravention
>         of 1954 Geneva Accords to settle Indochinese conflict.
>         American support for the refusal of Diem to hold elections called
>         for in 1954 Geneva Accords

We have discussed this elsewhere.  Suffice it to say that the morality of
American involvement in Vietnam is a debatable question.

>1973   - American covert support for the overthrow of the democratic
>         government of Salvador Allende ending decades of the tradition
>         of stable Chilean democracy.  Military dictatorship of Pinochet
>         immediately got American and international loans denied to
>         Allende's government as he killed and imprisoned thousands.
>         Including the bombing of a former Allende government official
>         in Washington, D.C.  (needless to say this was not in the medias
>         headlines as a case of horrible "internation terrorism")

Again you overstate your case.  Allende ended the tradition of stable Chilean
democracy all by himself.  I think it is clear that Pinochet's regime (as it
turned out) was not what the U.S. was bargaining for there.

>1965  -  American troops sent to the Dominican Republic
>
>1984  -  American troops overthrow the government in Grenada
>         (note: human rights groups reported last week that labor
>          organizers and members of the opposition to the current
>          government have begun mysteriously disappearing.  Of course
>          others are in jail)

Of course, nobody disappeared or was put in jail by the regime which was
deposed.

>1983 -   American mining of Nicaragua's harbor in violation of
>         international law and the Treaty of the Organization of
>         American States
>
>1981-?   American funding for contra campaign of terrorism in Nicaragua
>         including bombing, killings, and mutilations.
>
>1981     American resumption of arms sales to South Africa's apartheid
>         government

This is still part of an American policy whose purpose is to encourage
South Africa to abolish apartheid.  Misguided at worst, but it may be
absolutely correct (I don't think it is, but I do admit that it might
be).

>?(coming soon!) - American funding for Jonas Savimbi's UNITAS party
>         and its campaign of terrorism in Angola with the usual bombings,
>         killings, and mutilations.  Savimbi's current major supplier
>         is the South African apartheid government which aids him with
>         its own troops.  Before that Savimbi got support from China
>         as a self-proclaimed Maoist.  Interestingly Savimbi has never
>         said he is *not* a Maoist.  Needless to say his organization
>         is a bastion of the democracy of Jonas Savimbi -
>         "one man one vote" (HA! HA!)
>
>I hope our foreign policy can come a lot closer to perfection than this!!

U.S. foreign policy has been far from perfect; but no other nation with
anywhere near our power has behaved nearly as well.  Britain instituted
the anti-Indian policies which the U.S. and Canada carried through; it
(as well as Spain, when that country was dominant) took over large fractions
of the world, over the armed objections of the inhabitants, and ruled them
for its benefit.  Russia holds half of Europe and half of Asia in its
empire; it has eliminated the native culture in most of northern Asia,
and is well on the way to doing the same in the Baltic states.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka