[net.politics] our neighbors

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (12/20/85)

> Gee Tim, you forgot...
>
> The Military Invasion and Subjugation of Canada.
>
> The Invasion of Mexico by armored units in 1968 to crush open rebellion.
>
> The building of the notorious Toronto Wall to prevent Canadian
> Citizens from escaping U.S. domination, complete with machine guns
> and land mines.
>
> 		--Carl Rigney
> Anyone who thinks this needs a :-) needs one themselves! :-)

The Mexicans remember the gringo invasion every year. The Nicaraguans
have such a long history of US intervention, armed and otherwise, that
they act totally paranoid. And then there is the Dominican Republic,
Cuba, Guatemala, Canada (we lost,) Chile, Grenada, the Phillipines,
and on and on and on.

Of course, all of these events were entirely justified :-)
--
						Mark Roddy
						Net working,

					(harvard!talcott!panda!enmasse!comm!mark)

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (12/20/85)

>> Gee Tim, you forgot...
>> The Military Invasion and Subjugation of Canada.
>> The Invasion of Mexico by armored units in 1968 to crush open rebellion.
>> The building of the notorious Toronto Wall to prevent Canadian
>> Citizens from escaping U.S. domination, complete with machine guns
>> and land mines.
>> 		--Carl Rigney
>> Anyone who thinks this needs a :-) needs one themselves! :-)
>
>The Mexicans remember the gringo invasion every year. The Nicaraguans
>have such a long history of US intervention, armed and otherwise, that
>they act totally paranoid. And then there is the Dominican Republic,
>Cuba, Guatemala, Canada (we lost,) Chile, Grenada, the Phillipines,
>and on and on and on.
>						Mark Roddy

At least some of these don't seem comparable to the Soviet actions alluded
to.
Cuba: I'm not sure what you mean.  If you mean the Spanish-American
War, it was a war against Spain, and Cuba got its independence shortly
afterwards.  If you mean the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban government obviously
opposed it but that says nothing about what the Cuban people thought about
it.
Canada: What do you mean, we lost Canada?  If you mean the War of 1812, it
was against Britain.  Furthermore, our border with Canada is open.  We
don't post guards to shoot people escaping to Canada.  We don't build a wall
to prevent such escaping.  And Canada has no reason to worry about the US
sending tanks in.  For that matter, I've never heard of Canadians being
against Americans because of the War of 1812.
Mexico: Again, look at the border.  There aren't barriers to keep people
in the US.  And despite the "gringo invasions" in the last century, Mexico
doesn't worry about the US sending in tanks or armies.
Grenada: Come on, who are you trying to fool?  Are you trying to argue that
most Grenadans actually did not support the US invasion?

Disclaimer: This does not mean I support _all_ of these US actions.

(If you want to reply, please mail a copy.  I will be going home for about
a month and by the end of that time the news will probably have expired.)
--
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa
      ...allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_akaa

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (12/23/85)

In article <1483@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.ARPA (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) writes:
>>> Gee Tim, you forgot...
>>> The Military Invasion and Subjugation of Canada.
>>> 		--Carl Rigney
>>The Mexicans remember the gringo invasion every year. The Nicaraguans
>>have such a long history of US intervention, armed and otherwise, that
>>they act totally paranoid. And then there is the Dominican Republic,
>>Cuba, Guatemala, Canada (we lost,) Chile, Grenada, the Phillipines,
>>and on and on and on.
>>						Mark Roddy
>Canada: What do you mean, we lost Canada?  If you mean the War of 1812, it
>was against Britain.  Furthermore, our border with Canada is open.  We
>don't post guards to shoot people escaping to Canada.  We don't build a wall
>to prevent such escaping.  And Canada has no reason to worry about the US
>sending tanks in.  For that matter, I've never heard of Canadians being
>against Americans because of the War of 1812.

Probably because Americans are only taught one side of the War of 1812
(as would be true of most wars in most countries of course) and are
generally extremely ignorant of Canadian history of all kinds.  Of course
it was a long time ago and the last 100 years of peace have outweighed it
as a factor in modern politics, but *historically* it was very important.
Canada retained a link with Britain longer than they might otherwise have
done because they had been massively invaded by their much larger neighbor
*several* times between 1776 and 1869.  The War of 1812 is the best example.
Yet Walter Cronkite et. al. go on saying that "The United States never lost
a war until Vietnam."

I was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio and spent four years studying
history at OSU before I came to Toronto, and have taught both American
and Canadian history here for several years.  Canadians' (mild) irritation
with American ignorance and presumptuousness is one of the things with which
I sympathize most.  It quite amazed me at first.  Of course I was younger
then. :-)

sympathize most

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (12/25/85)

-------
> Probably because Americans are only taught one side of the War of 1812
> (as would be true of most wars in most countries of course) and are
> generally extremely ignorant of Canadian history of all kinds.  Of course
> it was a long time ago and the last 100 years of peace have outweighed it
> as a factor in modern politics, but *historically* it was very important.
> Canada retained a link with Britain longer than they might otherwise have
> done because they had been massively invaded by their much larger neighbor
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> *several* times between 1776 and 1869.  The War of 1812 is the best example.
> Yet Walter Cronkite et. al. go on saying that "The United States never lost
> a war until Vietnam."
--------
Perhaps Walter et. al. go on saying it because it is true.  Not winning
is not the same as losing.  We (the U. S.) didn't really win in Korea
either.
By the way, I am not aware of any massive U. S. invasions of Canada
other than during the Revolutionary War and during the War of 1812.
(In both wars, the invasions went in BOTH directions.)
If there were any others, I would appreciate being enlightened.
I know there were several boundary disputes (northern Maine - New
Brunswick, for one), but massive invasions?  Sounds like your
biases are showing.

	54-40 or fight!-)-)

--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (12/25/85)

> The War of 1812 is the best example.
> > Yet Walter Cronkite et. al. go on saying that "The United States never lost
> > a war until Vietnam."
> --------
> [Me]
> Perhaps Walter et. al. go on saying it because it is true.  Not winning
> is not the same as losing.  We (the U. S.) didn't really win in Korea
> either.
-----------
It just hit me that someone is bound to leap on my mention of the
U. S. and the Korean War as another example of American arrogance
and ignorance.  "Doesn't that yahoo know that Korea was a United
Nations effort, and not just an American one?"  Yes, I know, but
we were talking only about whether the U. S. had lost a war.
	Funny that Australians, New Zelanders, South Koreans,
and Filipinos don't complain too loudly when VIETNAM is called an
American war!
--

In article <640@utflis.UUCP> brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) writes:
>Canada retained a link with Britain longer than they might otherwise have
>done because they had been massively invaded by their much larger neighbor
>*several* times between 1776 and 1869.  The War of 1812 is the best example.
>Yet Walter Cronkite et. al. go on saying that "The United States never lost
>a war until Vietnam."

Did the U.S. really invade Canada after the end of the Revolutionary War,
with the exception of the War of 1812?  Please supply instances if this is
true.

I don't think it is appropriate to count events in the American Revolutionary
War as invasions of Canada.  That war was a rebellion by England's North
American colonies; the distinction between those that became part of the
United States and those that eventually became part of Canada was a
consequence of that war, not a precondition.

As for the War of 1812, that was a war between the U.S. and England, and
Canada was English territory at that point.  The U.S. invaded Canadian
territory, and were driven out; England invaded U.S. territory, and was
driven out.  I don't think it is accurate to say either side really won
the war.  (In some sense, that means both lost; but that isn't the way
these things are usually counted.)

I am quite prepared to believe that fear of a U.S. invasion delayed
Canadian independence.  On the other hand, I suspect that without the
successful American Revolution, England would not have voluntarily granted
independence to the rest of her colonies.

I do agree that the degree ignorance of history among Americans is shocking.
Let's do our bit to counteract that by talking about it here.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

lkk@teddy.UUCP (12/28/85)

In article <1483@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.ARPA (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) writes:
>Cuba: I'm not sure what you mean.  If you mean the Spanish-American
>War, it was a war against Spain, and Cuba got its independence shortly
>afterwards.  If you mean the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban government obviously
>opposed it but that says nothing about what the Cuban people thought about
>it.

By this statement you belie your ignorance of American history.  Sure
Cuba got a form of independence after we kicked the Spaniards out.
They got a constitution that was written in the United States Senate
which  included language allowing the US to intervene at will if it
felt that American interests were endangered.  What resulted was half
a century of corrupt American  gangster dominated government, setting
the state for the understandably self-righteous but arrogant  and heavy handed
Fidel Castro to take over.
--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (12/30/85)

Frank Adams (franka@mmintl.UUCP) writes:

> As for the War of 1812, that was a war between the U.S. and England, and
> Canada was English territory at that point.  The U.S. invaded Canadian
> territory, and were driven out; England invaded U.S. territory, and was
> driven out.  I don't think it is accurate to say either side really won
> the war.  (In some sense, that means both lost; but that isn't the way
> these things are usually counted.)

But there should be a "then" after the semicolon.

The thing is, the U.S. started the war (admittedly under serious British
provocation, since the British Navy had been interfering with U.S. merchant
shipping).  The U.S. decided to invade "Canada" (meaning Upper Canada, now
southern Ontario, and Lower Canada, now southern Quebec, both British
colonies)... AND ANNEX CANADA to the U.S.!

The British forces in Canada naturally did not confine themselves to
fighting within Canadian territory once a state of war existed, but
they never aimed to reconquer the U.S., only to avoid being conquered.

In other words, the U.S. tried to take over Canada, and didn't.
The forces in Canada tried not to be taken over, and weren't.
Conclusion: Britain (not England, please) won, and the U.S. lost.

If you still think this is a "tie", you might consider the Falklands War.
The boundaries are the same now as they were before the war, and the
resignation of the Argentinian government was not at Britain's demand.
But I don't think there's any doubt that Argentina lost that one.

> I am quite prepared to believe that fear of a U.S. invasion delayed
> Canadian independence.

Or *caused* Canadian independence.  The Canadian colonies had been quite
friendly with the States, especially the more northerly ones (indeed, a
considerable amount of commerce with New York State continued through the war).
If Ontario had joined the U.S. before Britain got around to granting
partial independence in 1867, the other colonies might never have joined
together, and most of them might well have been absorbed by the U.S.
one by one.  Of course, this is all conjecture.

> On the other hand, I suspect that without the
> successful American Revolution, England would not have voluntarily granted
> independence to the rest of her colonies.

Could be.  Or maybe India would have been the first, and the rest following!

A good reference on the War of 1812 in North America is Pierre Berton's
2-volume book, "The Invasion of Canada" plus "Flames Across the Border".
Like all of Berton's histories, it is well researched with lots of references,
and quite readable.  It does not try to cover all events of the war,
preferring to go into a subset of them in more detail.  Berton does not
refrain from giving opinions on matters like the conjectures above,
but the bulk of the volumes deal in facts.

Mark Brader, Toronto, Canada
P.S. Toronto (then York) was burned by the Americans.
     I think it was in retaliation for this that the British burned
     Washington (sparing the Patent Office) -- and thus led to the
     Presidential Mansion being named the White House when the smoke
     marks were painted over.

sykora@csd2.UUCP (Michael Sykora) (01/02/86)

>/* franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) /  6:05 am  Dec 27, 1985 */

>I do agree that the degree ignorance of history among Americans is shocking.
>Let's do our bit to counteract that by talking about it here.

Why "shocking?"  Foolish perhaps, but why "shocking?"

>Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

Mike Sykora

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (01/02/86)

In article <1004@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:

>> Canada was English territory at that point.  The U.S. invaded Canadian
>> territory, and were driven out; England invaded U.S. territory, and was
>> driven out.  I don't think it is accurate to say either side really won
>
>But there should be a "then" after the semicolon.
>
>In other words, the U.S. tried to take over Canada, and didn't.
>The forces in Canada tried not to be taken over, and weren't.
>Conclusion: Britain (not England, please) won, and the U.S. lost.
>
>Could be.  Or maybe India would have been the first, and the rest following!
>
>Mark Brader, Toronto, Canada
>P.S. Toronto (then York) was burned by the Americans.
>     I think it was in retaliation for this that the British burned
>     Washington (sparing the Patent Office) -- and thus led to the

It is very interesting to see history from someone knowledgeable from the
other side. I wish there were much more of this sort of information on this
net particularly from people from a much wider range of countries.

richard foy, redondo beach, california, us

In article <1004@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:

>Frank Adams (franka@mmintl.UUCP) writes:
>
>> As for the War of 1812, that was a war between the U.S. and England, and
>> Canada was English territory at that point.  The U.S. invaded Canadian
>> territory, and were driven out; England invaded U.S. territory, and was
>> driven out.  I don't think it is accurate to say either side really won
>> the war.  (In some sense, that means both lost; but that isn't the way
>> these things are usually counted.)
>
>But there should be a "then" after the semicolon.
>
>The thing is, the U.S. started the war (admittedly under serious British
>provocation, since the British Navy had been interfering with U.S. merchant
>shipping).  The U.S. decided to invade "Canada" (meaning Upper Canada, now
>southern Ontario, and Lower Canada, now southern Quebec, both British
>colonies)... AND ANNEX CANADA to the U.S.!

Yes, but was the war fought for the purpose of taking over Canada, or was
that an additional objective?  The U.S. had as one of its goals in the war
to get the British to stop interfering with U.S. merchant shipping, and in
this was successful.  (A treaty which would have accomplished this was
signed before the war broke out, but news thereof did not reach the U.S.
before fighting broke out.)  To argue that the U.S. lost, it is insufficient
to note that the U.S. decided to invade Canada; you must argue that that was
the primary American objective.  I am not convinced that that was the case.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (01/07/86)

Regarding the question of who won the War of 1812 in North America, I wrote:

> >The thing is, the U.S. started the war (admittedly under serious British
> >provocation, since the British Navy had been interfering with U.S. merchant
> >shipping).  The U.S. decided to invade "Canada" (meaning Upper Canada, now
> >southern Ontario, and Lower Canada, now southern Quebec, both British
> >colonies)... AND ANNEX CANADA to the U.S.!

And Frank Adams replied:

> Yes, but was the war fought for the purpose of taking over Canada, or was
> that an additional objective?  The U.S. had as one of its goals in the war
> to get the British to stop interfering with U.S. merchant shipping, and in
> this was successful.  (A treaty which would have accomplished this was
> signed before the war broke out, but news thereof did not reach the U.S.
> before fighting broke out.)  To argue that the U.S. lost, it is insufficient
> to note that the U.S. decided to invade Canada; you must argue that that was
> the primary American objective.  I am not convinced that that was the case.

Rather than arguing that it was the primary objective, I argue that it
was the only objective that still mattered at the end of the war.
The thing is, the reasons Britain wanted to interfere with the U.S. ships
in the first place was to strengthen their side against France in the
coming War of 1812 in Europe.  (And, of course, it was remembered that
France supported the U.S. in the American Revolution.)  Well, before
the Treaty of Ghent ended the War of 1812 in North America, Britain had
already defeated France, and therefore they had no more need to interfere.
(You are correct about the other treaty, but it only affected one of the
two forms of interference that were going on -- I'll spare the net the
details.)  So the only thing left was the attempt to annex Canada.
And we know what happened to that.

Well, having stated my case, I'll back down a little.  Pierre Berton puts
it this way:  "Having won the last battle, the Americans were convinced
that they won the War of 1812.  Having stemmed the tide of invasion and
kept the Americans out of their country, Canadians believed that THEY won
the war.  Having ceded nothing they considered important, the British were
serene in the conviction that THEY won it.  ...  But the real losers were
the Indians."  And elsewhere, he calls it "the war that Canada won, or
more precisely DID NOT LOSE."  His emphasis in each case.  But with all due
respect for the great Mr. Berton, I prefer my line of reasoning.  "We" won...
if only by a score, so to speak, of 21-20.

I don't think I'll post any more on this.
Mark Brader