[net.politics] Questions for Sevener

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (01/16/86)

In article <whuts.479> orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:

>> Tim, are you saying that the US has the right to oppose a duly elected and
>> constituted authority if it's in our national interest to do so?  I glad to
>> find out that you really do support the President's policy on Nicaragua. -:)
>>       / /       Tom Albrecht    Burroughs Corp.
>
>No, I am not saying that one country has the right to unilaterally interfere
>in the rights of another.  What I am saying is that those who opposed
>Hitler *in Germany*  despite his popular support were entirely justified in
>doing so.  The fact that horrendous policies have popular support
>(e.g. McCarthyism in our own country) does not make such policies
>justified morally.
>
>We would not take too kindly to Europeans or any other country funding
>terrorists to kill Americans or blow up economic targets.
>Yet that is precisely what the contras are doing in Nicaragua.

Were you opposed to the Sandinistas being funded by the Cubans and Soviets
when they sought to overthrow Somosa?  This seems to be an example of the
sort of thing you're so downright indignant to.  Is it OK now that the
Sandinistas are in power?  Is it wrong that the Contras are receiving
funding and support from the US?  Suppose we have documented evidence that
the Sandinistas are exporting terrorism to other Latin American countries?

Just curious.

>What would be your response if another country mined New York harbor?
>Would you say such an action was acceptable?
>
>If not, then why please justify the mining of Nicaragua's major harbor?
>
>                     tim sevener  whuxn!orb

It would depend on the reason for such a mining.  If we were guilty of
exporting terrorism to other parts of the world and it was the opinion of
those doing the mining that it would deter us from such action, then it
would probably be acceptable.  IF we were guilty.

The US is only using the power at its disposal to restrict the injurious
activities of the Sandinistas.  It's bad enough they supress the rights of
their own citizens.  We shouldn't let them get away with doing it
elsewhere.

Just 'cause Daniel Ortega and his SO get to spend an hour with Phil Donahue
doesn't automatically make him an OK guy (expect maybe in Donahue's eyes).

--
	Tom Albrecht	Burroughs Corp.

The next time somebody said, "I find I can write much better with a word
processor.", I replyed, "They used to say the same thing about drugs."

						Roy Blount, Jr.