[net.politics] Terrorism Outrage

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (01/17/86)

J.Abeles writes:

> Certain parties can't seem to understand that people are outraged
> by these terrorists, and the same parties feel that there is some kind of
> prejudiced feeling which motivates us against them regardless of
> the terrorism.

Wrong! Everybody is outraged by terrorist actions, military
surgical strikes and acts of war. The victims of such actions are
from all sides, countries and continents. You  can check the US
State Department statistics on terrorist victims and you will
find that the majority of them are not americans.
The disagreement is in the analysis of the cause and motivation of
terrorism. Americans, europeans, arabs and israelis  all have their
own diagnostic of the problem. That is one reason why combating
terrorism proved much harder than initially thought.

> Chedley is displaying paranoid feelings regarding
> the US because he believes the US is unconditionally opposed to
> Arabs.

Wrong again! I do not beleive that the US is unconditionally
opposed to Arabs; but I do believe that the US is unconditionally
IN SUPPORT OF ISRAEL!. There is a fine difference here!!

> The problem with Chedley's viewpoint, I feel, is that he doesn't
> recognize that the Arabs hold the key to stopping the problem.
> In fact, the US doesn't have any alternative but to react with
> condemnation (and possible military action) towards Arab terrorism.

No ! I do not think that the Arabs hold the key to stopping the
terrorists. I do think that they can slow them down, and hold their
help and assistance to them. Why they do not do it? Because they do
not agree with the US/israeli  point of view of the cause of
terrorism.

> Actually, it is surprising to me that living as he does in
> the midst of our American society he doesn't seem to understand
> the outrage of Americans when faced with terrorism sanctioned
> by certain governments.

Wrong, once more! (See above) Everybody in the civilized world
is outraged by war,violence and terrorist actions. Because
everybody is a potential victim.

> Historically, incidents of this type
> have provoked countries into all-out war, but the US operates
> with greater restraint in the modern world.

You can't say the same thing for Israel, can you? Actually, Israel
is mastering the art of provoking terrorism, then crying wolf.

Chedley Aouriri
ITT-ATC, Shelton, CT.
....ittatc!ittvax!aouriri

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/19/86)

> J.Abeles writes:
> >
> > Certain parties can't seem to understand that people are outraged
> > by these terrorists, and the same parties feel that there is some kind of
> > prejudiced feeling which motivates us against them regardless of
> > the terrorism.
>
> Wrong! Everybody is outraged by terrorist actions, military
> surgical strikes and acts of war. The victims of such actions are
> from all sides, countries and continents. You  can check the US
> State Department statistics on terrorist victims and you will
> find that the majority of them are not americans.

But a large minority are.

> The disagreement is in the analysis of the cause and motivation of
> terrorism. Americans, europeans, arabs and israelis  all have their
> own diagnostic of the problem. That is one reason why combating
> terrorism proved much harder than initially thought.

The combating of terrorism is difficult because the US and the Europeans
don't have the guts to do anything that might change the status quo. The
politicians are scared to death of losing some power if they take an
unpopular move in their countries. BUT this is changing as the number
of terrorist attacks go up (in European countries).

> > Chedley is displaying paranoid feelings regarding
> > the US because he believes the US is unconditionally opposed to
> > Arabs.
>
> Wrong again! I do not beleive that the US is unconditionally
> opposed to Arabs; but I do believe that the US is unconditionally
> IN SUPPORT OF ISRAEL!. There is a fine difference here!!

Oh sure. The US has never had harsh words as to Israeli actions. Ha.

> > The problem with Chedley's viewpoint, I feel, is that he doesn't
> > recognize that the Arabs hold the key to stopping the problem.
> > In fact, the US doesn't have any alternative but to react with
> > condemnation (and possible military action) towards Arab terrorism.
>
> No ! I do not think that the Arabs hold the key to stopping the
> terrorists. I do think that they can slow them down, and hold their
> help and assistance to them. Why they do not do it? Because they do
> not agree with the US/israeli  point of view of the cause of
> terrorism.

Forget about the causes, or what you think are the causes, Don't you
think that the US should do something when its citizens are killed
while abroad ?

> > Actually, it is surprising to me that living as he does in
> > the midst of our American society he doesn't seem to understand
> > the outrage of Americans when faced with terrorism sanctioned
> > by certain governments.

> Wrong, once more! (See above) Everybody in the civilized world
> is outraged by war,violence and terrorist actions. Because
> everybody is a potential victim.

I don't see much terrorism in the USSR (-:  and do you want to know
why ? Because a terrorist in the USSR is dealt with correctly, a bullet
or two. In fact even violating USSR airspace is cause for death.

> > Historically, incidents of this type
> > have provoked countries into all-out war, but the US operates
> > with greater restraint in the modern world.
>
> You can't say the same thing for Israel, can you? Actually, Israel
> is mastering the art of provoking terrorism, then crying wolf.

How about some hard facts, not generalizations !

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/21/86)

Chedley Aouriri writes:
>> The problem with Chedley's viewpoint, I feel, is that he doesn't
>> recognize that the Arabs hold the key to stopping the problem.
>> In fact, the US doesn't have any alternative but to react with
>> condemnation (and possible military action) towards Arab terrorism.
>
>No ! I do not think that the Arabs hold the key to stopping the
>terrorists. I do think that they can slow them down, and hold their
>help and assistance to them. Why they do not do it? Because they do
>not agree with the US/israeli  point of view of the cause of
>terrorism.

The Arab states could have solved the "Palestinian problem" years ago,
by spending a small fraction of their oil revenues on resettling Arabs
in other countries (or, for that matter, on the West Bank when that was
part of Jordan). Israel offered to absorb 100,000 Arab refugees if the
Arab countries would take the rest. Because the Arab countries refused
to accept Israel's right to exist, that offer was spurned.

Note that Israel absorbed, over the course of a very few years,
HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Jews from Arab countries, who left everything
behind and came with nothing. If the Arab countries gave a damn about
their "brothers", they would have helped them 30 or 37 years ago instead
of leaving them to rot in refugee camps.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave