[net.politics] Legal drinking age

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (01/13/86)

     In December, the legal drinking age went up to 21 in the state of New
York. Governor Cuomo and the other supporters of this law say that they support
the new law because it will saves lives by reducing alcohol related traffic
fatalities. I'm sure this is true. By the same argument, if you raise the
legal drinking age to 31 it will also reduce alcohol related traffic fatal-
ities, or 41 or 51 or 61. The draft age is 18. We trust 18-20 year olds with
M-16's in the army, but not with alcohol. I think that's ridiculous. 18-20
year olds are adults. To raise the drinking age to 21 is limited Prohibition,
in my opinion & history shows us what a failure Prohibition was. By the way I
am 23 years old, so the law didn't affect me. It just angered me.
                                            Shawn P. Daly
                                            seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!daly

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (01/15/86)

    In the mind-60s I phoned in to a radio talk show.  The  topic  under
discussion was _lowering_ the drinking age to 18 so our brave boys could
die with alcohol in their bloodstreams.  I opposed it.  My reasoning was
that society must due two things to educate its population:

		     ------------------------------
    1.  Keep the majority of people in violation of the law most of  the
time,  so  when the cops want to get them they have a convenient handle.
[Examples:  55  mph  speed  limits  (imposed  much  later,  of  course),
proscriptions   against   spitting   on   the  sidewalk,  loitering  and
jaywalking, etc.]

    2.   Inform  them  that  they  may  be legislated into a subservient
position at the whim of the legislature, and that they must  not  assume
they  have  the  right  to  oppose  or  live independently of the state.
Certainly imposing an alcohol ban on draftable people is a good reminder
of unprivileged status.
		     ------------------------------

    The host argued vigorously with  me,  claiming  that  the  great  US
society  did not indulge in such treatment of anybody, let alone its own
citizens.  [That in 1965 - voting rights had  been  legislated  but  not
implemented  for  Blacks  across  the  south,  let  alone  any issues of
desegregating Boston schools.  Heh heh.]

    My belief in those tenets grows stronger, year by year.  What's YOUR
excuse?
--

Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139
OAF%OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA   {harvard, ihnp4!mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf   617-253-8598

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (01/15/86)

There is only one tiny flaw in the last poster's logic
concerning 18 to 20 year olds in the army being trusted
with M16s.  The M16s are all locked up and guarded by a
big mean sargent until they are taken out and used under
supervision by other big mean sargents.  Perhaps we could
allow the 18 to 20 year olds to drink, but only under
supervision of some big mean sargent types?
T. C. Wheeler

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/15/86)

>      In December, the legal drinking age went up to 21 in the state of New
> York. Governor Cuomo and the other supporters of this law say that they support
> the new law because it will saves lives by reducing alcohol related traffic
> fatalities. I'm sure this is true. By the same argument, if you raise the
> legal drinking age to 31 it will also reduce alcohol related traffic fatal-
> ities, or 41 or 51 or 61. The draft age is 18. We trust 18-20 year olds with
> M-16's in the army, but not with alcohol. I think that's ridiculous. 18-20
> year olds are adults. To raise the drinking age to 21 is limited Prohibition,
> in my opinion & history shows us what a failure Prohibition was. By the way I
> am 23 years old, so the law didn't affect me. It just angered me.
>                                             Shawn P. Daly
>                                             seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!daly

This is a useless argument. The law doesn't say that 18-21 year olds are
not permitted to drink alcohol. The law says that they can't be served
or sold alcohol. This is a most ignored law around, any 18 year old who
wants to drink will get hold of alcohol, in fact, the local bar will sell it
to him despite any laws (i.e. power of the buck)
All these laws are useless. The only way to stop drunk driving is to make
the penalty something to be feared. (i.e. loss of licence for good on first
offense, jail on second offense, death on third offense plus high fines
for each)

Mark
homxb!mr

bottom_david@mtblue.DEC (DAVE BOTTOM ASO/4AC 271-6935) (01/15/86)

Shawn P. Daly writes:
>comments about the unfairness of raising the drinking age to 21 text
>deleted

Several points:

1. I agree that if you're old enough to fight and die then you are old
enough to drink. However on all military bases even in those states that
have a drinking age of 21, 18 year old servicemen are allowed to buy
beer, although they are not allowed to buy hard liquor. This is DOD
policy.

2. The main reason that raising the drinking age to 18 is so effective
is because it is an effective measure in removing alcohol from high
schools. Most 18 year olds have no heistation in buying for their 16 &
17 year old friends. Most 21 year olds have few friends that are still
in high school.

3. There is no draft.

Dave Bottom
DEC Augusta Maine
!dec-rhea!dec-mtblue!bottom_david

*This is my opinion not the opinion of DEC*

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (01/16/86)

> Shawn P. Daly writes:
> >comments about the unfairness of raising the drinking age to 21 text
> >deleted
>
> Several points:
>
> 1. I agree that if you're old enough to fight and die then you are old
> enough to drink. However on all military bases even in those states that
> have a drinking age of 21, 18 year old servicemen are allowed to buy
> beer, although they are not allowed to buy hard liquor. This is DOD
> policy.

Which will be outlawed soon, if the trend continues.

> 2. The main reason that raising the drinking age to 18 is so effective
> is because it is an effective measure in removing alcohol from high
> schools. Most 18 year olds have no heistation in buying for their 16 &
> 17 year old friends. Most 21 year olds have few friends that are still
> in high school.

Next step: drinking age of 25, to remove alcohol from campuses (most 22
year old do not hesitate in buing for their 20 year old frinds).

> 3. There is no draft.

????

> Dave Bottom
> *This is my opinion not the opinion of DEC*

It would be sufficient to make first DiI violation punishable by
revoking the licence until the age of 21.  The drunken driving by
16 year olds continues even in states with 21 drinking age.  One
should really scare those kids who destroy their lives, utility
poles etc.

Piotr Berman

thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) (01/21/86)

> > 1. I agree that if you're old enough to fight and die then you are old
> > enough to drink. However on all military bases even in those states that
> > have a drinking age of 21, 18 year old servicemen are allowed to buy
> > beer, although they are not allowed to buy hard liquor. This is DOD
> > policy.
> >
> Which will be outlawed soon, if the trend continues.

I guess I don't understand the reason for this attack on what Dave said.
Implying that something may or may-not happen in the future does not make a
useful argument.  It seems reasonable that a person who is drafted is
also given the right to consume alcohol before he might normally be allowed to.

> > 2. The main reason that raising the drinking age to 18 is so effective
> > is because it is an effective measure in removing alcohol from high
> > schools. Most 18 year olds have no heistation in buying for their 16 &
> > 17 year old friends. Most 21 year olds have few friends that are still
> > in high school.
> >
> Next step: drinking age of 25, to remove alcohol from campuses (most 22
> year old do not hesitate in buing for their 20 year old frinds).

The fallacy of "slippery slope" applies here.  Why heck, if you can drive at
16 you should be able to drink.  Right?

> > 3. There is no draft.
> >
> ????
Of course there is registration.

> > Dave Bottom
> > *This is my opinion not the opinion of DEC*
> .
> .
> .
> Piotr Berman

Tom Hill

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (01/23/86)

> > > 2. The main reason that raising the drinking age to [above?] 18 is so effective
> > > is because it is an effective measure in removing alcohol from high
> > > schools. Most 18 year olds have no heistation in buying for their 16 &
> > > 17 year old friends. Most 21 year olds have few friends that are still
> > > in high school.
> > >
> > Next step: drinking age of 25, to remove alcohol from campuses (most 22
> > year old do not hesitate in buing for their 20 year old frinds).
> >

> The fallacy of "slippery slope" applies here.  Why heck, if you can drive at
> 16 you should be able to drink.  Right?

I merely claimed that since drinking on campuses is also a problem,
same reasoning could apply.  If it does not apply on campuses, perhaps
it is deficient when applied to high-shools.

Many people claim that it is better to be familiarized with drinking
when there is a moderating influence of the family, then in a situation
where such an influence does not exists.
> > .
> > Piotr Berman
>
> Tom Hill

Piotr