[net.politics] "Bad guys" in Nicaragua: people's vote

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (01/24/86)

nrh writes in response to Richard Carnes:

    > > Richard Carnes   > nrh
> >Wouldn't it be simpler to ask the Nicaraguans themselves if they are
> >pleased with the various changes that have taken place in their
> >country?  I don't know the answer, but it is either Yes or No.
>
> That's an interesting idea.  If the implication is that each
> Nicaraguan would say "Yes" or "no", then we agree (with the
> reservation that a Yes/No choice might have to be forced).  But if you
> think the answer would be "Yes" or "No" if you were to ask the MASS of
> Nicaraguans (subject it to a country-wide voice-vote, say) then you've
> taken them as a collective entity capable of only one opinion, which
> is surely a mistake.

For your information Nicaragua had an election in 1984 in which
65% of the people voted for the Sandinistas and 35% voted for
various opposition parties.  Arturo Cruz, who now supports the
contras, refused to run in the election despite requests from
the Sandinistas to do so because he was threatened with a cutoff
of American support.

So the answer seems to be strong support from the vast majority
of Nicaraguans for the Sandinistas policies in general with
opposition to some of these policies.
Obviously different people have different interests and concerns
which were reflected in the 35% of the legislature elected from
alternatives to the Sandinistas.

Edgar Chamorro, who used to be in the contras Directorate, wrote
thus (NYT Jan 9,1986 pA22):

      "The Sandinistas, for all their faults, have made
       enormous advances in education, housing and health
       care, issues of vital importance to Nicaragua's poor
       majority.  Unfortunately, the "contras" burn down
       schools, homes, and health centers as fast as the
       Sandinistas build them."

The major dissatisfaction expressed is with the draft laws.

          tim sevener   whuxn!orb