[net.politics] libya discussion devolves to fundamentals of Israel vs PLO

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (01/24/86)

> > (Chedley Aouriri) writes:
> > > Give the palestinians their homeland back, and the middle-east
> > > terrorist problem WILL go away.
> > A question for Chedly:  What percentage of the land currently in
> > Israel hands comprises the homeland, the giving of which to the
> > palestinians will end terrorism?   (my assumption was *all* - wb)
>   The percentage assigned by the UN resolution in 1948 partitioning
> Palestine and creating Israel. It includes all territories occupied
> and/or annexed after the 1956, 1967 and 1973 wars.

The PLO was formed in 1964.  Since all territory captured in 1956 was
returned to Egypt, what else could they have wanted to "liberate"?  Those
areas included in the '49 armistice lines not in the UN plan?  How about
those areas illegally annexed by Jordan?  I don't recall any PLO/Jordan
conflict until "Black September".

Two quotes from the Palestine National Covenent, 1968

Article 2: Palestine with its boundaries that existed at the time of
the British Mandate is an indivisible territorial unit.

Article 20: The partitioning of Palestine in 1947 and the
establishment of Israel are fundamentally null and void...

I could go on from the Ten Point Program of 1974 or program of 1977,
both adapted by the PNC.  I will if I need material for future
postings to support my contention that the PLO will not accept a
settlement less than every inch of Israel except (just possibly) as an
intermediate step.  If anyone objects to the translations I quote,
please tell me where I can find others.
--

The Maxwell R. Mayhem Institute for Quandary Requiem and Maternal Sciamachy
Accept no substitutes.