[net.politics] Something about terrorism again

mokhtar@ubc-vision.UUCP (Farzin Mokhtarian) (01/25/86)

Piotr Berman writes:

> Not necessarily.  First, Iran remains a non-Arab state.
> Second, the current good services may be well-remembered in the future.
> The future government need not to be Khomeinistic, and even Iran's
> opposition does not Iraq to win.

Do you know something that I don't?

1. What "good services"? Isn't this an opportunity for Khomeini to get more
   arms? For him, to do a "service" for Israel would go against everything
   he says.
2. What "future government"? Do you know of anybody's plans to change Iran's
   government?

> The true situation is that nobody wishes any side of this conflict to
> prevail.  The domination of either of those unsaviory regimes would
> be very dangerous.  Iraq leaders dream about unification of the Golden
> crescent: Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon and oil-producing
> Iranian Khuzestan.  A defeat of Iran would make it plausible.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Iraq existed for many years before the
war and it wasn't that terribly dangerous and Iran's armed forces aren't
exactly praiseworthy.

> Supplying spare parts for military aircrafts is not equivalent to
> arming the terrorists. Also, Abu Nidal used to be Iraq's protege.
> To deal with nice guys only, Israel would need to relocate to Scandinavia.
> It is not Israel's fault that not only her adversaries, but also
> adversaries of adversaries support terrorist.

1. Israel has supplied arms not just "spare parts for military aircraft".
2. "It is not Israel's fault". Should I feel sorry for Israel?
   Israel is aiding a regime which supports terrorism. Somehow this is
   justified because it achieves some political goals NOT because
   Israel approves of terrorism! I am not judging anybody here but if
   this is OK then why is terrorism bad when "Israel's adversaries"
   support it?
						 Farzin Mokhtarian