[net.politics] RE. Is America a Democracy / to Mat

cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP (01/25/86)

>> In <1669@brl-tgr.ARPA> matt@brl-tgr.ARPA Matthew Rosenblatt writes:
>>
>> ...  Reorganize the government like
>> a corporation (NB: NOT a "corporate state"!), and sell SHARES for something
>> like $5 apiece to Americans.  These shareholders would elect a President and
>> a Board of Directors according the "one SHARE/one vote" principle, the way
>
> If the hundreds of millions of working people cannot outvote the
> few hundred thousand rich now, why do you think they can do it if
> they own shares?  In fact, the situation would be worse, since the
> rich simply would by more shares !
>
> 	Armin Roeseler      ...ihnp4!ihlpa!doit

Great!  Then they're paying for the government they want, *directly*.
If we abolish income tax and instead let people buy as many shares
as they want, at $5 a pop, and that's what the Federal budget will be.
If each of 100 million working Americans buys 100 shares (I'm sure
the current average tax is *far* in excess of $500), then 100,000
rich would each have to pony up half a million.  Instead of donating
your money to PACs, candidates, and the IRS :-(, you can take stock
in America!

Of course, Ted Turner would probably attempt a hostile merger attempt... :-)

		--Carl Rigney
USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!cdrigney